Locking Differentail - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking Differentail

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
CharlieHo
Get Savvy

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJeep21 View Post
Currently I only have Dana 33's I was looking at the Dana 44's to drive the bigger tires but if I stay a smaller like the 33's you think I still need to get a stronger axel?
Eh, you have a Dana 30 in the front. You have either a Dana 35 or 44 in the rear.

The D35 is not a good axle to throw large tires or lockers at.

The other two are OK.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...1/#post4118396

I have the ability to spell correctly, it's just that the autocorrect on my iPad will not permit it.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Currently I only have Dana 33's I was looking at the Dana 44's to drive the bigger tires but if I stay a smaller like the 33's you think I still need to get a stronger axel?
There is no such thing as Dana 33's. You most likely have a Dana 35 rear axle, and a Dana 30 front axle. If you stay on 33's, those will be ok. You step up to 35's and that Dana 35 rear axle will be at it's breaking point.

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-2068833/
Jwinecoff00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #18
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You have a Dana 30 in the front and probably a Dana 35 in the rear. As long as you don't drive like an idiot they should be OK with 33s, although I would not lock the D35 with any size tire.
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #19
TomJeep21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If I do plan/ever get to putting lockers on do I have to do it to both the front and back or would I be able to get away with only one?
TomJeep21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I do plan/ever get to putting lockers on do I have to do it to both the front and back or would I be able to get away with only one?
It's completely up to you. The front and rear axles are completely separate from one another. You could lock both, just the front, or just the rear. However, BOTH axles must be geared to the same ratio or your drivetrain will explode the instant you put it in 4WD. Obviously, this only matters if you get into regearing the axles to compensate for larger tires.

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-2068833/
Jwinecoff00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #21
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think a good place to start with would be to add a 2" budget boost and 1.25" body lift, add some 33's and drive it, see what you think. If you want more off road capability then add a lockright style locker to the front end. This is relatively inexpensive, if you want to go bigger later you can sell the budget boost, and be out only a small amount. A TJ with 33's and some lockers is pretty dang capable, and you would probably be really surprised at where it will take you.

Tags
differential , tj , wrangler tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.