Locking Differentail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking Differentail

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
TomJeep21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Locking Differentail

I have a 2000 Jeep TJ and I wanted to get the Locking differentail but I didn't know if i could just buy a part that will allow me to modify the differentail that currently have. I do currently still have stock tires on and stock ride hight but I do plan on getting a 6-8 inch lift kit and putting on 36's. Also do I have to put the lock differentail in both the front and back or will the back be enought.

I do know it will cost alot of money to lift it and get the tires but I still want to save some money if it is possible to do without bringing it to a shop. I just want to know where you guys think I should start and what would be required if I want to lock the diff(s).

Thanks

Last edited by TomJeep21; 03-24-2014 at 01:35 PM..
TomJeep21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you fill out your profile so we know exactly what you have?

I have a LockRight locker up front and love it. Cheap, fairly easy to install, and unnoticeable when driving on the street.

What are your intentions with this jeep? Daily driven? Trail rig? What kind of a budget do you have?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
TomJeep21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I mostly plan on using it as a dialy driver but I mean just around town not like more than an hour and a half commute one way. I hopefully do plan on going off roading with it some but not to extreme like climbing rocks and such. Trying to keep it in the lower budget. I dont mind doing the work myself I am pretty good with my hands.

Also, everything on my jeep is currently stock and was just looking at what i need to upgrade before I lift/make it more off road capable.
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJeep21 View Post
I have a 2000 Jeep TJ and I wanted to get the Locking differentail but I didn't know if i could just buy a part that will allow me to modify the differentail that currently have. I do currently still have stock tires on and stock ride hight but I do plan on getting a 6-8 inch lift kit and putting on 36's. Also do I have to put the lock differentail in both the front and back or will the back be enought.

Thanks
Putting a 6-8" lift on a TJ with 36's will not be a low budget build. Good luck. Lockers should be the last of your worries.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
CharlieHo
Get Savvy

2006 TJ Wrangler 

36's are a lot of tire on a TJ for DD, especially considering the thousands of dollars it's going to cost just to get them to fit.

A front lunchbox locker, as mentioned, is probably plenty for what you're looking for at this point.
I have the ability to spell correctly, it's just that the autocorrect on my iPad will not permit it.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeremy

Putting a 6-8" lift on a TJ with 36's will not be a low budget build. Good luck. Lockers should be the last of your worries.
I agree with this,

For mostly DD, I wouldn't sorry about a locker just yet. But as I said previously, a front lunchbox locker is cheap and unnoticeable on road. Works wonders off road as well compared to open-open.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Put that money aside for now and research what it would take to run that large a tire. Let me make it easy for you...it's NOWHERE near low budget. If you are using this for "show" and no "go", then you don't even need a locker.
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

An oft quoted number is 10k to run 35s. Do people do it for less? Absolutely, but they end up cutting corners to do it. And there are many of us that go way over that number to run 35s.
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
An oft quoted number is 10k to run 35s. Do people do it for less? Absolutely, but they end up cutting corners to do it. And there are many of us that go way over that number to run 35s.
$10K?? You can easily build a TJ to run 35's without cutting corners for $5K.

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-2068833/
Jwinecoff00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
TomJeep21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I dont plan on doing this all at once. I'm only 18 and probabily wasn't going to do anything untill after university but I do hope one day to eventually do this stuff. I just dont really know where I should start and I wasn't sure if i can save a little money by changing the diff to a locking diff on my own by simply just adding a part to the old diff.
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinecoff00 View Post
$10K?? You can easily build a TJ to run 35's without cutting corners for $5K.
Lift 1-2k
Regear 1.5k
Tires 1K
Wheels 500
Steering 500
Brakes 500-1.5k

That's five easy and that's assuming you have axles that can handle the tires, don't want lockers, doesn't include any armor, bumpers, winch, etc.

So can you get them mounted and drive on the street? Yes. Are you in any condition to do trails that actually require 35s? Not without a lot more.

Oh, and when you say that money doesn't have to be spent on steering and brakes then you are "cutting corners" like I said orginally.
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lift 1-2k
Regear 1.5k
Tires 1K
Wheels 500
Steering 500
Brakes 500-1.5k

That's five easy and that's assuming you have axles that can handle the wheels, don't want lockers, doesn't include any armor, bumpers, winch, etc.

So can you get them mounted and drive on the street? Yes. Are you in any condition to do trails that actually require 35s? Not without a lot more.

Oh, and when you say that money doesn't have to be spent on steering and brakes then you are "cutting corners" like I said orginally.
I agree, but you need to read what the OP said. He doesn't plan offroading anything extreme. Just because he doesn't spend the money on armor, bumpers, and a winch doesn't mean he is cutting corners. You don't need those things to run 35's. So based on what you have, maybe a TJ with a D44 from factory...or a Rubicon, you could easily do it for $5K. Also, you're assuming everything is brand new, people are allowed to bargain shop you know.

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Unread 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He doesn't plan offroading anything extreme
Then he should stick to 33s. A lot simpler and cheaper.
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Then he should stick to 33s. A lot simpler and cheaper.
I agree.

OP - If you're just looking for a weekend warrior that can be dependable and still function as a DD, then stick with 33's. There is no way I would want to DD my Jeep with 6" of lift on 36's everyday.

Unread 03-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
TomJeep21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree.

OP - If you're just looking for a weekend warrior that can be dependable and still function as a DD, then stick with 33's. There is no way I would want to DD my Jeep with 6" of lift on 36's everyday.

Currently I only have Dana 33's I was looking at the Dana 44's to drive the bigger tires but if I stay a smaller like the 33's you think I still need to get a stronger axel?

Tags
differential , tj , wrangler tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.