lockers in stock Dana 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lockers in stock Dana 35

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
platym
1997 TJ Wrangler 

lockers in stock Dana 35

so as I'm dreamin up new ways to upgrade my beloved jeep, I'm wondering if adding lockers to my stock rear axle (D35) would be okay or do lockers generally require something larger like a 44. What would be the better choice between electronic and air lockers and why? If doing an axle swap would a D44 be best choice or a ford 8.8? I don't do a lot of hard core wheeling right now. I just want my jeep to be a capable rig off road without the fear of breaking something important if the trail I'm on gets squirrely. If there's a post that answers this, forgive me and send me to the right place. Thanks, Lou.

platym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

if ur going to lock the 35 i would do a cheap locker, like an aussie. no reason to dump money into an axle that you are going to want to upgrade!

i have an aussie in my 35, works well, havent broken a shaft yet but i am expecting to.

so since you say you want a dependable setup that your not worried about i would recomend an upgrade, then locking.

or lock the front.

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I personally wouldnt lock a 35. There are a few things you could do to beef up the 35, chromolly axles, but honestly if your going to lock it, I would go with a 44 or an 8.8. As fas as which is stronger, I am not sure, someone else might be able to help with that, Seems like everyone has there personal choice. But if you go the 8.8 route, keep in mind that you will have to get spring perches and shock mounts, then have them welded then make sure your gears are the same as the front.

Do your homework here, search the threads, read up on it all. It can get expensive, and you only want to have to do it once.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Locking a stock Dana 35c is opening the door wide open to a snapped an axle shaft, don't do it. If you want a locker, you have three choices. 1) Install the locker up front instead. 2) Upgrade your Dana 35c with a Super 35 kit from Superior Axle which upgrades/strengthens the axle shafts and includes a locker. 3) Replace the Dana 35c with a stronger axle like a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8.

The following website is made up of nothing but photos of broken Dana 35c axle shafts... enjoy. http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Jeremywrags
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What gears do you have? I just bought a TJ with a Detroit Locker and would consider a trade for stock parts. I don't even have the jeep yet so not sure of the Gear Ratio but I'll find out tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by platym View Post
so as I'm dreamin up new ways to upgrade my beloved jeep, I'm wondering if adding lockers to my stock rear axle (D35) would be okay or do lockers generally require something larger like a 44. What would be the better choice between electronic and air lockers and why? If doing an axle swap would a D44 be best choice or a ford 8.8? I don't do a lot of hard core wheeling right now. I just want my jeep to be a capable rig off road without the fear of breaking something important if the trail I'm on gets squirrely. If there's a post that answers this, forgive me and send me to the right place. Thanks, Lou.
Jeremywrags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't lock a stock 35. at very least do a super35.
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Locking a stock Dana 35c is opening the door wide open to a snapped an axle shaft, don't do it. If you want a locker, you have three choices. 1) Install the locker up front instead. 2) Upgrade your Dana 35c with a Super 35 kit from Superior Axle which upgrades/strengthens the axle shafts and includes a locker. 3) Replace the Dana 35c with a stronger axle like a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8.

The following website is made up of nothing but photos of broken Dana 35c axle shafts... enjoy. http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
Jerry that website pretty much makes every single part of a d35 look useless doesnt it?
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a lock right locker in my D35 rear for about the last 8 months and about 6000 miles on it so far without issue, but it has a lot to do with how hard you are on it since it is a weakness and if pushed too hard it will break your axle shaft, especially if you start bouncing in the rocks and stand on the skinny peday, also the street is pretty hard on the axles as well since you have so much traction in tight turns, for example a U-turn on the street hard on the gas with large or even just aired down tires can break an axle shaft in some cases.

I have been fine for now, but I do my best to make sure I dont break my axles until I put the D44 I bought a few months ago in (need to regear it first).
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
dirtrider66
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm kinda the same as you, not too much hardcore offroading, just the weekend warrior type. What I want to do with my d35 is get the super 35 kit from superior axle, put an arb locker on it (along with the front) and put some g2 diff covers on. I think it should work great and look good too
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
...also the street is pretty hard on the axles as well since you have so much traction in tight turns, for example a U-turn on the street hard on the gas with large or even just aired down tires can break an axle shaft in some cases.
That is exactly what I was doing when my locked D35 disintegrated, a (slow speed) u-turn on the street. That was 12-13 years ago when I thought I could just be extra-careful with my locked Dana 35c.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.