Lockers...air vs electric - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lockers...air vs electric

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Jeep Kid
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lockers...air vs electric

I'm curious what are the pro's and con's of the electric lockers and air lockers? I know the pro's of having a selectable locker, but why the hassel of having to route air lines and mounting compressors when it seems it would be much easier just to have a electric locker? Thanks in advance

Jeep Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's really just a personal prefferance issue. IMHO it seems that the air units would be a tad stronger and likely last longer. I went with ECTEDs for the LSD action when off, and will openly accept the need to replace clutches eventually. If it weren't for wanting the LSDs I would have gone ARB.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

From what I have read the clutch locker are not as strong as a regular locker is, the electrics are on the new JK are being mad with mounts for a TJ now, The problem is there are really any great electrics right now like there are for the air like ARB, it's really a preference thing.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the Eaton E locker gets really good reviews, and running a compressor and air lines is not a difficult thing to do, no more difficult then running wires for an electric locker

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its mostly preferance.

I prefer electric because its what I am familiar with.

Electric is very easy to install. No compressor is needed which makes it cheaper and its one less part to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
...The problem is there are really any great electrics right now like there are for the air like ARB, it's really a preference thing.
Eaton makes a nice E-Locker.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Jeep Kid
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks to everyone for the replies. That pretty much answered my question! Good stuff to know for future builds...
Jeep Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
WAKIZASPEED
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You could also consider OX lockers. They just have a cable that manually locks and unlocks.
Just a thought.
WAKIZASPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A good friend of mine runs Auburn's ECTED at both ends of his rig. I can only compare them to my factory Rubicon air lockers. I like the fact that when you hit the button, there is an immediate action within the locker. When you need the locker it's there instantly. However, disengaging can be a pain in the ***. Unlocking usually requires serpentining on a high traction surface. Really annoying, especially with the front.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

as someone who has owned both auburn ecteds and eaton elockers i can tell you there is no comparison. auburn ecteds are slow to lock up, slow and noisy to unlock, slip when you have reasonable traction, break easily (4 in 18 months), the limited slip is so mild it might as well be open, and auburn's customer service is horrible. eaton elockers lock immediately, unlock silently, and i have had no issues yet with breakage. yes, you might save a few hundred per axle with auburn ecteds but you will pay for it with replacement parts in no time. you've been warned!
4-speed Atlas
lots of armor, bunch of other goodies
Baystate Jeepers member
base shakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the ARB route. it's more expensive but it's rare to hear anyone having a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
jeepwcrazy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post
I went with the ARB route. it's more expensive but it's rare to hear anyone having a problem.
I wouldn't say it's rare, but I would say that the ratio of failure to the amount of people that have them is pretty good. I went to the Molina Ghost run this past weekend and I know of 2 different ARB failures.
jeepwcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Digger 5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I really believe that electric actuation is superior but not many electric lockers can meet ARB's strength or quality.

Ecteds are junk. ANYTHING but Ected. They don't really lock as they just add addional clutch pack pressure that can be overcome with good traction. The axle engagement is a joke (9/16" WTF!) in the unlocked mode and is prone to stripping axle shafts. Good idea- very poor execution.

Eaton ELockers can be anywhere from great to shaky depending on the model. The new Dana 30 and 35 models are great units that my customers have loved. These units are 3 or 4 pinion designs are will outlast the ring gear. They have a collar style engagement that works very well and has proved durable. The Dana 44 model also uses the collar style actuation but has a 2 pinion design. It works very well but is weaker than 4 pinion competitors like ARB or OX. The 8.8 ELocker uses a pin style engagement that is prone to rouding pin ends. It is also a 2 pinion design. Eaton is working on a new design for 44 and larger models that should cure all the strength issues.

OX Locker now offers an electric version of their locker. Unfortunately is still uses a cable and uses a GM axle actuator to push and pull the cable.

The new JK Lockers (4 pinion) have been getting good reviews but can't be retrofitted to standard 44 cases.

For Dana 30 and 35 models I recommend ELockers but for nearly every other application I recommend ARB.
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #13
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First question:the rubicon locker is also limited slip when unlocked and electrical.Is it worth it?
Second question:The ELocker for the dana35 like this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_1014.htm can it be found for less than that anywhere else?Does anyone have a dana35 ELocker with upgraded 27spline axles?

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #14
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2008 View Post
First question:the rubicon locker is also limited slip when unlocked and electrical.Is it worth it?
Second question:The ELocker for the dana35 like this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_1014.htm can it be found for less than that anywhere else?Does anyone have a dana35 ELocker with upgraded 27spline axles?
1. The TJ Rubicon locker is air not electric, I believe the JK Rubicon is electric but will not fit in a TJ Dana 44.

2. There is always someplace cheaper then Quadratic and the one you show is the 30 spline version. try Google.
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The part # for the 27 spline D35 Eaton ELocker is 19821-010.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.