Locker solution for flat-land mud (and only mud!) on a farm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locker solution for flat-land mud (and only mud!) on a farm?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Locker solution for flat-land mud (and only mud!) on a farm?

I know lockers has been done to death here but I have a question that I can't find discussed.

What's the best locker and placement for this situation:
  • All wheeling all the time -- never sees pavement of any kind (miles from nearest pavement). Does drive firm-surface dirt or gravel roads a lot, though.
  • My challenge is mud. Only mud. But bad mud, the kind of loamy clay that traps tractors and my previous Cherokees (no lockers). This is flat Virginia land (Chesapeake bay area) with no rocks and no hills. Most of the land would be marsh if it ever stop being farmed.
  • I do occasionally go on logging roads. Still flat land, but involves some stump jumping and rolling over downed trees.
  • Tows some 2000-3000lb trailers and boats.
  • Almost all the driving is slow-speed.
  • I run 31x10.5r15 BFG MTs on an otherwise stock vehicle.
  • I'd prefer a lunchbox locker for reasons of cost and DIY but if not, I want something that's ultra reliable. The ARB air system makes me nervous.

Is an Aussie or PowerTrax No-Slip the ticket? Front or rear better? Yes, I have a D35 rear, but am I right that it won't break because of the small tires, I won't be hard on the gas or hopping rocks, and I will be unlikely to put a wheel in the air (except maybe on the logging roads)?

I know most of you are mountain- and rock-killing bad boys, and I've read the solutions for that. But I recently bought this TJ (my first!) to run as a working vehicle on a farm. I'm hoping you can tell me what's best for a mud-only flat-land machine.

EDIT on 2011/07/18:

The first two posts here, by Jerry and Flatlander757, are exactly right. Thanks! I ended up installing a lunchbox locker in the front and a TrueTrac in the rear, and I couldn't be happier. Check out my install thread for how-to's, why's, performance reviews, and about 80 photos.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/

FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rather than go with a locker, I'd go for a Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential in the rear instead. Your Dana 35c will survive nicely on it and limited slip differentials work extremely well on flat slippery terrain. Lockers are more for when the terrain is so uneven that tires are up in the air.

And a big welcome to JF FarmerinVA!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerinVA View Post
I know lockers has been done to death here but I have a question that I can't find discussed.

What's the best locker and placement for this situation:
  • All wheeling all the time -- never sees pavement of any kind (miles from nearest pavement). Does drive firm-surface dirt or gravel roads a lot, though.
  • My challenge is mud. Only mud. But bad mud, the kind of loamy clay that traps tractors and my previous Cherokees (no lockers). This is flat Virginia land (Chesapeake bay area) with no rocks and no hills. Most of the land would be marsh if it ever stop being farmed.
  • I do occasionally go on logging roads. Still flat land, but involves some stump jumping and rolling over downed trees.
  • Tows some 2000-3000lb trailers and boats.
  • Almost all the driving is slow-speed.
  • I run 31x10.5r15 BFG MTs on an otherwise stock vehicle.
  • I'd prefer a lunchbox locker for reasons of cost and DIY but if not, I want something that's ultra reliable. The ARB air system makes me nervous.

Is an Aussie or PowerTrax No-Slip the ticket? Front or rear better? Yes, I have a D35 rear, but am I right that it won't break because of the small tires, I won't be hard on the gas or hopping rocks, and I will be unlikely to put a wheel in the air (except maybe on the logging roads)?

I know most of you are mountain- and rock-killing bad boys, and I've read the solutions for that. But I recently bought this TJ (my first!) to run as a working vehicle on a farm. I'm hoping you can tell me what's best for a mud-only flat-land machine.

By the way, a TJ with a trailer beats the heck out of a pickup for EVERYTHING!
I'd honestly do a locker up front first... mainly because you can steer your wheels in hopes to gain traction as you slow down or close to getting stuck. Also because you have the D35 rear.

A limited slip in the rear wouldn't be a bad idea, though I wouldn't put one in a D35. As Jerry said, it would at least be easier on the D35 than a full on locker would though... and a limited slip should have no problem spinning both tires in mud in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

for what you describe, i would say a lincoln locker. if the hardest surface it will see is dirt and gravel, no pavement ever, weld it IMO. some say the D35 will not last, but the stock D35 in my ZJ has been welded for 4 years now and no issues, but have broken Two shafts on an Open 30 up front.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just weld it up. If it never sees road, there's no reason not to run welded spiders and some Swampers.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

lincoln locker

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your only using it on the farm then the cheapest thing to do is weld the spiders together and you would have full time locker for the price of wire/rod, rtv, & diff fluid.

You beat me to it Imped....
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

weld it ftmfw
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also like the Truetrac But have no problem with a welded locker in the rear. A lunch box locker in the back is very very annoying. The ONLY place its good is offroad and thats debateable. The truetrac is 99.9 percent invisable. Great traction and long lasting.
rjbruzan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, welding it never occurred to me. I have to admit that destroying part of the machine alarms me but then again, I like simple, and that is as simple as it gets.

Sounds like it's between a welded or limited slip rear and an auto-locked front. Also sounds like a good plan is lock the front first, then if that doesn't entirely beat the mud, decide between Truetrac or welding the rear later. Excellent.

But please keep the comments coming if anyone else wants to give me advice. Like the man said, I'm a newbie and not afraid to admit it.

To respond to why not swampers, guys down here are unanimous that one should avoid softer tires like the swampers because they keep puncturing their swampers on the small, sharp logging stumps and agricultural stubble. All the farm guys swear by the BFG MTs or the MTR Kevlar, and the MTR is more expensive. I can say already that the MT-KM2 has no problem with punctures in those conditions.

Last edited by FarmerinVA; 10-25-2010 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: forgot the limited slip part
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerinVA View Post
Wow, welding it never occurred to me. I have to admit that destroying part of the machine alarms me but then again, I like simple, and that is as simple as it gets.

Sounds like it's between a welded rear and an auto-locked front. Also sounds like a good plan is lock the front first, then if that doesn't entirely beat the mud, weld the rear later for essentially zero additional cost. Excellent.

But please keep the comments coming if anyone else wants to give me advice. Like the man said, I'm a newbie and not afraid to admit it.

To respond to why not swampers, guys down here said to avoid softer tires like the swampers because they keep puncturing their swampers on the small, sharp logging stumps and agricultural stubble. All the farm guys swear by the BFG MTs or the MTR Kevlar, and the MTR is more expensive. I can say already that the MT-KM2 has no problem with punctures in those conditions.
Get some BIAS PLY swampers and they will be much much tougher than any MTR or BFG MT.

TSL SX tires have some of the thickest sidewalls... not too many of them have been ripped open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well your not really destroying anything that can't be replaced at the cost of spider gears and maybe a carrier. But for what the jeeps intended purpose is going to be then it is a simple/cheap working solution.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If your going to weld the rear carry an extra set of rear shafts, it would suck to get stranded with a busted shaft in the middle of no where. I agree a set of bias ply mudders are your best beat for mud, it's pretty tough to rip the side wall open on a good set of bias ply tires.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You guys recommending welding the spiders to produce a Lincoln locker must have forgotten his rear axle is a Dana 35c. His Dana 35c wouldn't last long at all welded up like that.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
ricko836
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'll suggest a Aussie locker up front, it'll pull you threw things and it's cheap and cost effective.
ricko836 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.