locker, rockers, or gears - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > locker, rockers, or gears

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #46
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get underside armor first, engine and gastank.

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #47
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

As good as these things are to many (most?) people, I have heard some folks regret and sometimes even uninstall armor, LSDs, autolockers in the rear, and even regearing (or at least the particular gearing they chose the first time).

But I have never heard anyone regret installing a selectable locker in the front or rear, in any context. And I have never heard anyone with tires 33" or less regret installing the Superior Super 35 kit in order to run a Dana 35 with a locker in the rear (on this forum ... but this forum is the only place I've read about Super 35s at all).

Given that the OP says he really likes running with open diffs some of the time and he's an East Coaster who is unlikely to see crazy rocks, or at least ought to wheel for a while before he attempts them, that makes me think he should probably install a selectable locker first. I hate to say this because in my view the best bang for the buck is an auto in the front and an LSD in the rear, but for OP it sounds like he's going to be happier with the selectable, and he can get to gears and armor later if he decides he needs them, and he'll definitely have a more refined idea of what he wants (tire size, gear ratios, armor needs) if he waits a while on those items.

The only problem is that if he gets the selectable professionally installed, it would be most cost effective to do the regear at the same time, which isn't the way the OP set up the original question. (Works in the other direction, too ... if he decides to regear, it's more cost effective to do lockers at the same time ....) This is the kind of thing that drives you nuts when you start messing with your axles.

Makes my head hurt just thinking about it, which is one of the reasons I stayed with 31" tires, my stock 3.73 gears, and a DIY auto front/LSD rear install. (My wallet thanks me.)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #48
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
US spec TJs with a D44 rear axle have 3.55 or 3.73.

It was only the export versions that got the 3.07 geared D44, so its pretty rare to see one around here.
That was a cruel joke on the foreigners! An insult to the D44
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:20 AM   #49
CT99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

@FarmerinVA: I've absolutely heard of people complain about Super 35 kits... they constantly complain that they wasted money polishing a turd. It's a D35, it's like a supermodel with a venereal disease: no matter how much you spend on it, it's still going to make your junk itch and your wallet empty.
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #50
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT99XJ View Post
It's a D35, it's like a supermodel with a venereal disease: no matter how much you spend on it, it's still going to make your junk itch and your wallet empty.
Think this is both quotable and signature worthy
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #51
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ That is so funny and so true. The 35 can serve you well if u don't go over 33s and u don't lock it.

If you are going to spend more than a thousand dollars to upgrade the Dana 35c you should just get a new axle.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
2ACR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #52
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

get a rear axle. d44 or 8.8 or 9. that the best money spent. if you can find one 4.10, then you just need to re-gear the front.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #53
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
@FarmerinVA: I've absolutely heard of people complain about Super 35 kits... they constantly complain that they wasted money polishing a turd. It's a D35, it's like a supermodel with a venereal disease: no matter how much you spend on it, it's still going to make your junk itch and your wallet empty.
I've heard that colorful quote also, but what I said was, "... I have never heard anyone with tires 33" or less regret installing the Superior Super 35 kit in order to run a Dana 35 with a locker in the rear." I haven't conducted a poll or anything -- which might be a good idea for someone to do, come to think of it -- but I just haven't heard anyone who actually owns/owned a Super 35 and 33" or less tires complain about it. Larger tires, yeah, OK, but that's a different question. I've heard lots of people who own 8.8s, 9s, etc. trash the Super 35, but I take that with a grain of salt because (1) it's not personal experience and (2) they usually spent at least $1000 more, if they would be honest about counting all the extra costs, and they had a heck of a harder install process.

I don't own the Super 35 and don't want to become a partisan for or against it. But the whole "polishing" business seems awfully doctrinaire. Not everybody needs or can afford a 9 inch or a Dana 60. And I've got an 8.8 on another vehicle ... great axle but a bit of a plow underneath, so I wouldn't want to run that on a TJ without mammoth tires for clearance, which again, not everyone wants.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #54
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

31's are for girls not farmers.

BUT i do agree that an auto locker in the front and a Tru-trac in the tirdyfive WITH upgraded axle shafts is the way to go! Money saving wise.
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #55
CT99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

8.8 with LSD already in it.

And it's still a 35. 31's, stockers, low-pros, bicycle tires, skis... it'll still break.
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #56
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah but the OEM 8.8 LSD is a clutch style limited slip that can and WILL wear out. A Tru-trac is a gear engaged/driven LSD that will never wear out.
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #57
CT99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's still wasting money on a D35. Just throw in an LSD 8.8, then swap for a full case locker when it dies.
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #58
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Two things...

Have you ever had a lunchbox locker in a rear axle?

How many D44's came with 3.07 gears?
Quote:
Actually, yes I have. I have one in both ends.

Your point on the D44? Even if it has 3.55's, that saves a hell of a lot of money on a gear install down the road.

FWIW I've found one or two in my local JY with 3.07's. Just saying
A lunchbox in the rear of a TJ and the rear of your XJ are two totally different animals. The difference is in the wheelbase. Having tried it with two different TJs and a 91 XJ, the difference is night and day. I would never suggest a lunchbox in the back of a TJ.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #59
FarmerJohn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well I decided to go ahead and get the Aussie for the Dana 30 and I will probably pick up some rocker armor and maybe a new diff cover for the 30 since I will be taking it off anyways, any good recommendations for a good cheap D30 cover?

I would have went with the re-gear but I am not getting the tires for at least another month and maybe by that time I will get my travel claim and per-diam, then I can just bypass doing the rear and just drop in a D44 or 8.8 with a selectable locker. Thanks for all the help.
FarmerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #60
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
31's are for girls not farmers.
Because 33's will get you so much further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gears , locker , rocker guard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.