locker, rockers, or gears - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > locker, rockers, or gears

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT99XJ View Post
right. Cuz Aussies in the rear kill babies.

Rear locker first, as long as you don't have a D35. If you do, spend your money on something that's not a toothpick first, like an 8.8 or D44.
Front lockers are better than rears, if you don't understand why you need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do gears first.

You'll appreciate it everytime you drive your Jeep, on or off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
Front lockers are better than rears, if you don't understand why you need to get out more.
I disagree. I think a rear locker is better. Weight is most often on the rear tires when you need a locker.

Front does work well for pulling over an obstacle, but overall its not used as often and its not as beneficial as the rear.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

regear with a S35 and Aussie

two birds, one stone
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #19
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

I disagree. I think a rear locker is better. Weight is most often on the rear tires when you need a locker.

Front does work well for pulling over an obstacle, but overall its not used as often and its not as beneficial as the rear.
I have wheeled with either the front locked, or the rear locked only plenty and been with people who have only locked one end. A front locker always makes an obsticle easier than only locking the rear will. My wifes second time actually wheeling her rig was locked in front on 33's with alot of guys on 33-36 inch tires with only rear lockers. I had some good laughs that day (and have been the goat with only a rear locker in the past to a basically stock but BB and front locked TJ). Pulling over an obstacle with your front tires both turning is easier than pushing it over with a tire that is not doing anything the front.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Pulling over an obstacle with your front tires both turning is easier than pushing it over with a tire that is not doing anything the front.
Yep, I agree.

But climbing a hill with the rear locked is much easier. With no weight on the front end, a front locker is practically useless.

I guess a lot depends where you wheel and what you're doing. There are guys in our wheeling group with front lockers only and they are not making obstacles any easier than those with rear lockers only.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #21
Tillmbil
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of suggestions. In Florida you had best get the tires first. That said with a 4 banger you need the gears to go along with. If you are in the differential you might as well put an Aussie up front, they can be had for $260 anywhere and cannot be beat for the price.
JMO

If you need armor for your rocker panels than you must be doing rocks. If so a front locker is vital.
Tillmbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #22
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Yep, I agree.

But climbing a hill with the rear locked is much easier. With no weight on the front end, a front locker is practically useless.

I guess a lot depends where you wheel and what you're doing. There are guys in our wheeling group with front lockers only and they are not making obstacles any easier than those with rear lockers only.
Supid video, looks pointless and easy. However, the only Jeeps that went straight up this little hill like my YJ here were me, my wife, and our friends James and Chuck with their Rubi's. Every one else with rear lockers or open diffs had to take multiple runs at it. It is a pretty unintimidating obstacle IMO and the only reason I hit it was because the Jeeps before me struggled with it.

With bigger hills it makes sense that with weight transfer to the rear of the Jeep a rear locker would be more benificial, however I have not found this to be the case in my experiences. There is absolutly nothing I have had an issue with that a rear locker made look like a cake walk. There have been plenty of times I have made something look easy where someone with a rear locker has struggled or not made it.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
Axkick

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
rockers should be the first piece of armor you should buy, end of story. and while you're at it - get something you wont want to replace in a few years

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...6&categoryId=9
I AGREE...armor...when you get bigger tires then figure out what gears and locker at that point.
Axkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #24
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Supid video, looks pointless and easy. However, the only Jeeps that when straight up this little hill like my YJ here were me, my wife, and our friends James and Chuck with their Rubi's. Every one else with rear lockers or open diffs had to take multiple runs at it. It is a pretty unintimidating obstacle IMO and the only reason I hit it was because the Jeeps before me struggled with it.
I know pics and videos rarely do obstacles justice but people were struggling with that? It looks like I could make it through that on my gold cart
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #25
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
I know pics and videos rarely do obstacles justice but people were struggling with that? It looks like I could make it through that on my gold cart
Exactly my point. When the Cherokee on 36's with a detroit in the rear took 4 or 5 times to make it I figured I would try, my wife on 33's with an aussie up front did the same thing I did.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ I completely agree with you on the front locker and hills but I am not sure why people were having problem with that hill. Not trying to say it wasn't steep or hard. Maybe the camera just does not do it justice. I have run plenty of uphill climbs similar to that one that didn't require a locker. I just throw the 4Lo on and let of the clutch. I am sure the locker does make the task much easier though. BTW I wish I had a place like that to wheel at locally. We have some okay stuff but it is either too easy or way too hard.

My vote is still regear both axles and put LSD in rear and auto locker up front. LSD can be part of the regear and replaces your gear carrier. Going from 3.07 to 4.10 or lower will require a new carrier any way. The autolocker replaces the spider gears and can be installed at any time. with 3.07s you can throw on in with out taking the carrier out of the housing.
Do it yourself regear will cost about 1200 or less. A little more for locker and LSD but not that much more. You will be happy you did. Don't fear the regear. I plan on doing mine soon. After All I have read and played with it seems that the hardest part getting the backlash set which is just trial and error with the use of some measuring equipment.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
2ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
^^^ I completely agree with you on the front locker and hills but I am not sure why people were having problem with that hill. Not trying to say it wasn't steep or hard. Maybe the camera just does not do it justice. I have run plenty of uphill climbs similar to that one that didn't require a locker. I just throw the 4Lo on and let of the clutch. I am sure the locker does make the task much easier though. BTW I wish I had a place like that to wheel at locally. We have some okay stuff but it is either too easy or way too hard.
It was just a dirt hill and ruts with a decent rock at the bottom on the face of the hill you can not see.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #28
Ironhead98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

LSD sux. Dont waste your time with it. Armor first so you dont spend money fixing what you dident protect. Then get the aussie locker in the front cause itll make your rig way more capable and its an easy install. Then tires cause although 3.07 will suck its doable untill you regear. Then regear and if possible swap the whole rear axle at the same time for an 8.8 and lock that too.
Ironhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #29
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT99XJ View Post
right. Cuz Aussies in the rear kill babies.

Rear locker first, as long as you don't have a D35. If you do, spend your money on something that's not a toothpick first, like an 8.8 or D44.
x2 It's hard to bite the bullett, but i saved for a 8.8 and regeared the front, it'll cost more, but it's money well spent. I'm like others we don't have alot of rocks, so the armor isn't as inportant to me.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Exactly my point. When the Cherokee on 36's with a detroit in the rear took 4 or 5 times to make it I figured I would try, my wife on 33's with an aussie up front did the same thing I did.
But that's a Cherokee.

I'm kidding XJ guys, don't hang me.

Tags
gears , locker , rocker guard

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.