locker, rockers, or gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > locker, rockers, or gears

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
FarmerJohn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

locker, rockers, or gears

So I'm about to get some new parts for my jeep but can't really decide what to get right know. Right know I have a 2.5 RC lift a winch and 31'' tires. I plan on getting 33''s in a month or two so I'm going to need to regear soon (only have 3.07 now). I'm looking into going ahead and getting some of the stuff to regear but I can't get all of it right know (I plan on doing the work myself), if I don't do that I was going to pick up some rocker guards or maybe a aussie locker. What do you think would be my best choice, I do mostly moderate trails most of the time I haven't needed a locker but there has been a few times.

FarmerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
FarmerJohn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of my rig
http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0116.jpg
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I'd go ahead and get all the armor (and other things) you want before upgrading the tires and gears. That's the route I'm going. I plan on doing all I can to my jeep, in the way of armor, control arms, cage, and things like that, then I'll step up to 35's and re-gear.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have experience installing gears in a TJ? I think I'd go with gears for those 33's and see how it goes. Since an Aussie is a "lunchbox" locker, it can be added at any time without a gear setup. I'd only put an Aussie up front though, not in the rear.

Sent from DROID2
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

You've never needed a locker? I'm puzzled by that statement. When you say "moderate trails" what do you mean?

Or do you mean that you know your Jeep's current lockerless limits so you drive within them and that's why you don't get stuck (smart).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
FarmerJohn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Do you have experience installing gears in a TJ? I think I'd go with gears for those 33's and see how it goes. Since an Aussie is a "lunchbox" locker, it can be added at any time without a gear setup. I'd only put an Aussie up front though, not in the rear.

Sent from DROID2
I know a few people who have done quite a few regears not sure about TJ specifically though, and I wasn't planning on putting a Aussie in the rear not on a D35 anyways, I'm kinda leaning towards getting the gears first cause 33's on 3.07 will be dreadful, but I can't get every thing right now is the only thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerinVA View Post
You've never needed a locker? I'm puzzled by that statement. When you say "moderate trails" what do you mean?

Or do you mean that you know your Jeep's current lockerless limits so you drive within them and that's why you don't get stuck (smart).
I have been in situations that would have been alot easier with a locker but I managed. I try to avoid trails that I will have to much trouble with I have hit alot of the moderate trails at Windrock without to much trouble.
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Personally I'd go ahead and get all the armor (and other things) you want before upgrading the tires and gears. That's the route I'm going. I plan on doing all I can to my jeep, in the way of armor, control arms, cage, and things like that, then I'll step up to 35's and re-gear.
This. Having armor means you can do fun stuff

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to slide over objects at any point you are better off with armor. If you are like me and don't really see rocks (I see washed out roads and hill climbs. I don't mean a dirt road. Full articulation kind of roads. I guess you would just call it a path in the woods with a little extra space between the trees) go with new gears plus LSD in the rear and auto locker in the front. If you do all the work yourself you will save about 500 in cash after the purchase of LSD and auto locker. If you do the regear yourslef but can't afford the auto locker for the front at least get the LSD in the rear as part of your regear. It won't cost that much more.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
2ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would probably do the gears first, then the locker(s), and then the rockers last.

I don't really hit my rockers very often, I hit my gastank skid, rear bumper and transfer case alot (and the control arm mounts and body mounts!), but not the rockers so much, and I really only hit that stuff somewhat more difficult rock trails, I usually don't hit anything on moderate trails. If you are only doing moderate trails, you probably don't need the rocker panels just yet, and your rockers will be a bit higher up after the new tires anyway. Have you been hitting the rocker panels? I'd do the gears so that you have good power to the larger tires, and then locker.
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

rockers should be the first piece of armor you should buy, end of story. and while you're at it - get something you wont want to replace in a few years

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...6&categoryId=9

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

How about trying to find a Dana 44 in a junkyard? If you could find one out of a rubicon you'd get a stronger axle, 4.10 gears,an air locker and disc brakes, you would only have to regear the front. I don't know what else you would need for the swap except maybe some brake lines, and parking brake cable and the pump for the locker.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would do the re-gear with a gear type LSD in the rear. You can add an Aussie Locker to the front later.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
CT99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
I'd only put an Aussie up front though, not in the rear.
right. Cuz Aussies in the rear kill babies.

Rear locker first, as long as you don't have a D35. If you do, spend your money on something that's not a toothpick first, like an 8.8 or D44.
CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
CT99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob05 View Post
How about trying to find a Dana 44 in a junkyard? If you could find one out of a rubicon you'd get a stronger axle, 4.10 gears,an air locker and disc brakes, you would only have to regear the front. I don't know what else you would need for the swap except maybe some brake lines, and parking brake cable and the pump for the locker.
Yeah, finding that in a JY is gonna be a grand-plus. That's if someone was stupid enough to junk a Rubi without pulling the axles out of it. Good luck finding one.
CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT99XJ View Post
right. Cuz Aussies in the rear kill babies.

Rear locker first, as long as you don't have a D35. If you do, spend your money on something that's not a toothpick first, like an 8.8 or D44.
i dont think that what he meant, considering that the guy has a Dana 35

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gears , locker , rocker guard

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.