lock front or rear ? - JeepForum.com

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
papisjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

lock front or rear ?

considering a locker (Aussie or Spartan)
part time daily driver/ fishing hunting rig, light wheeling nothing hardcore. I am looking for first hand experience from ppl that have done either or and pros or cons of each
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you have the Dana 35 rear axle, I would only lock the front axle which is far more up to being locked. Your rear Dana 35 axle, when stock, isn't strong enough to be locked. You could however upgrade your rear axle with a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear & Axle which would make it more than strong enough for a locker. Though Super 35 kits are not cheap.

An Aussie lunchbox locker in your front axle would be a good choice, it is well behaved on the street when you're in 2wd. It only clicks/ratchets through turns but that's a minor thing. If you don't want to hear your front locker clicking or ratcheting through all your turns, you can go with the Powertrax No-Slip locker which is still as well behaved as the Aussie but is virtually silent through turns. At least I couldn't hear my front No-Slip locker back when I had far better hearing than I do now.
WmGardner likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 12:38 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lock the front with your 4 banger. The D35 rear won't like it.

post #4 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 AM
JimSmith
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Only way the D35 in the rear of yours will survive a locker is by building a Super 35 with a locker that accepts 30 spline axles.
WmGardner likes this.

'98 Chili Pepper 2.5, AX5, 33x12.5x15, 5.13, D30 Aussie, Super 35
post #5 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 06:43 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lock the front if you only do one.
Lock rite, spartan, aussie, power trax no slip, are all good.

your rear wont like a locker, and it wont drive well with a rear lunch box.

another option is detroit true trac lsds front and rear.
Or true trac rear, a locker in front.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #6 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 AM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Put a lunch box locker in the rear. The trouble with a front locker is torque steer. The 35 will hold up provided you don't go over board with tires and how you treat it. Besides a D44 there is also a Chrysler corporate.
Lockers can be bad on ice. This is due to the physics. They will pull at 90 angles. For my Comanche I went with a Ford 8.8". I've seen them in TJs but wouldn't recommend it as the driveshaft is so short and the Ford axel is offset toward the passenger side 3/4"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIooIIIIIo View Post
Put a lunch box locker in the rear. The trouble with a front locker is torque steer. The 35 will hold up provided you don't go over board with tires and how you treat it.
There's no torque-steer with a front-mounted lunchbox locker on the street when in 2wd. At the most a lunchbox locker just clicks (ratchets) through turns. Other than that they're fine on the street and work fine offroad.

Offroad, any locked front axle can make steering more difficult but on low-traction surfaces it is a non-issue.

And one of the worst places you can mount a lunchbox locker is in the rear. Especially in a Dana 35. Generally speaking, lunchbox lockers behave extremely poorly on the street when in the rear axle. They bang, lurch, etc. and are no fun to drive with. Not to mention that being so small, they aren't very strong... and in my opinion, not strong enough for trails that actually require lockers.

But no matter what, a stock Dana 35 should not be locked. Eventually, the owner of a locked stock Dana 35 is going to find himself on the trail with a broken axle shaft. Even if he keeps telling himself he'll be gentle with it.

Frankly, it's rare to see anyone recommending any kind of a locker for a stock Dana 35, especially a lunchbox locker.

Here are some examples of what happens when the Dana 35 breaks an axle shaft, which is commonly seen on the trail. I've had to help more than a few get back to camp which isn't easily done since the wheel on the broken shaft keeps on wanting to slide out of the axle tube.

http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
JimSmith likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 11:45 AM
WmGardner

2001 TJ Wrangler 

lock front or rear ?

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
There's no torque-steer with a front-mounted lunchbox locker on the street when in 2wd. At the most a lunchbox locker just clicks (ratchets) through turns. Other than that they're fine on the street and work fine offroad.

Offroad, any locked front axle can make steering more difficult but on low-traction surfaces it is a non-issue.

And one of the worst places you can mount a lunchbox locker is in the rear. Especially in a Dana 35. Generally speaking, lunchbox lockers behave extremely poorly on the street when in the rear axle. They bang, lurch, etc. and are no fun to drive with. Not to mention that being so small, they aren't very strong... and in my opinion, not strong enough for trails that actually require lockers.

But no matter what, a stock Dana 35 should not be locked. Eventually, the owner of a locked stock Dana 35 is going to find himself on the trail with a broken axle shaft. Even if he keeps telling himself he'll be gentle with it.

Frankly, it's rare to see anyone recommending any kind of a locker for a stock Dana 35, especially a lunchbox locker.

Here are some examples of what happens when the Dana 35 breaks an axle shaft, which is commonly seen on the trail. I've had to help more than a few get back to camp which isn't easily done since the wheel on the broken shaft keeps on wanting to slide out of the axle tube.

http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
Ha! I remember him from my usenet days! All you had to do was merely mention a D35 and then stand back. A rant about c-clips would inevitably follow (along with odd remarks about how you couldn't run a D35c Jeep on his local racetrack). It was like he was always on the lookout for a chance to preach about the evils of c-clips.

Not that I disagreed about the 35c being of inferior design (compared to other Jeep rear axles) but you can only take your point so far and only so often before folks doubt your sanity (no offense intended BH). I think some people used to ask D35 questions just to wind him up...

Happy Jeeping!
Bill

-'01 TJ ("play" Jeep)
-'06 LJ (daily driver)

Don't piss me off or I will swear at you using the most offensive 4-letter-word that I know....... TORX!!!!
post #9 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmGardner View Post
Ha! I remember him from my usenet days! All you had to do was merely mention a D35 and then stand back. A rant about c-clips would inevitably follow (along with odd remarks about how you couldn't run a D35c Jeep on his local racetrack). It was like he was always on the lookout for a chance to preach about the evils of c-clips.

Not that I disagreed about the 35c being of inferior design (compared to other Jeep rear axles) but you can only take your point so far and only so often before folks doubt your sanity (no offense intended BH). I think some people used to ask D35 questions just to wind him up...
Ha same here, that's where I ran into Bill Hughes too, on the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys newsgroup before the invention of forums. He was and still is a character.
Raist11 likes this.

post #10 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 11:56 AM
WmGardner

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ha same here, that's where I ran into Bill Hughes too, on the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys newsgroup before the invention of forums. He was and still is a character.

Yeah, and now we have Reddit with the Millennials thinking they have discovered the coolest all-new thing ever. While I am a pretty heavy Reddit user, those of us old enough appreciate that it is just a reinvention of a very old idea.

Where does BH hang his virtual hat these days? Just on his website?

Happy Jeeping!
Bill

-'01 TJ ("play" Jeep)
-'06 LJ (daily driver)

Don't piss me off or I will swear at you using the most offensive 4-letter-word that I know....... TORX!!!!
post #11 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmGardner View Post
Where does BH hang his virtual hat these days? Just on his website?
I dunno, he sent me a CD-ROM several years ago for some reason to back up something weird he had said but that's the last contact I had with him. I think he lives somewhat close to me.

post #12 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 12:07 PM
WmGardner

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I dunno, he sent me a CD-ROM several years ago for some reason to back up something weird he had said but that's the last contact I had with him. I think he lives somewhat close to me.

I was just looking at his website. His homepage makes me chuckle and sit up in surprise. It certainly is early HTML, still has links for Netscape Navigator and remarks for navigation with AOL. He also has a ton of personal information out there, even by today's standards.

If my math is right, he's 75 now. So he was probably 60-65 when he was giving us hell on rec.autos. Hope he's still doing well.

Jerry Bransford likes this.

Happy Jeeping!
Bill

-'01 TJ ("play" Jeep)
-'06 LJ (daily driver)

post #13 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 PM
pagrey
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Depending on how you drive you might consider a power steering cooler as part of the cost of a front lunchbox locker. If you just pop it in 4WD to get out of a jam you'll be fine but long distances on the trail in 4WD with a front locker and your power steering pump might start to hate you.
B4_685 likes this.
post #14 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What about a Detroit soft locker up front instead of a lunch box locker????

post #15 of 72 Old 04-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaucom7266 View Post
What about a Detroit soft locker up front instead of a lunch box locker????
The Detroit Softlocker, aka Detroit Locker, is a superb locker but it doesn't hang together well in the Dana 30. The D30 housing flexes too much for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.