lj and SYE question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lj and SYE question

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
danmauro
2005 LJ Wrangler 

lj and SYE question

So I've had the 3 inch lift on my 05 Lj a little over 4 years now and it is way past time for a change (my front springs are sagging and it makes me sad). I am thinking of dropping some dough and moving up to a 4.5" lift (something with johnny joints all out the wazoo). The question I have come across and can't seem to find a definitive answer to is do I need an SYE with the longer rear drive shaft of the Lj? I do a fair amount of moderate (not a subjective statement at all...) off roading and while the 3 inches of lift have served me fine so far...my cousin just put 4 inches on his 09 Wrangler and now it's taller than mine!

Also if you'll all forgive my ignorance...
The slip yolk itself slides in and out of the Xcase with rear axle movement. Does having the slip yolk eliminator limit the movement of your rear axle because the rear drive line no longer has the ability to "make itself longer"? Is the replacement rear axle kind of one size fits all, or do you have to order based specifically to fit the lift you are doing?

Also I have heard a lot about how an SYE and new rear drive shaft is the way to go simply because it is stronger, and odds are that no matter what I will eventually be putting one on. But I am not exactly made of money so if I get the lift now, I need to save up for the SE later and vice versa which is how the whole "do I really need it?" came up.

danmauro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is your LJ a Rubicon?...

DANMAURO'S JEEP
Year & Model
2005 LJ Wrangler
Engine
4.0L
Front Axle
dana 44
Rear Axle
dana 44
Gear Ratio
4:10
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The SYE simply changes the t-case output to a fixed yoke, which requires a different drive shaft. This allows for a steeper/more proper pinion angle. But if you don't get adjustable control arms you can't adjust you r pinion angle. It turns into a snowball effect real quick at that point. If you don't have vibrations I wouldn't worry too much about it. An LJ is great rig!!!
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
danmauro
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My Lj is not a Rubicon. It came with the 44's stock and I upgraded the gearing.
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So did you do an axle and gear swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmauro View Post
My Lj is not a Rubicon. It came with the 44's stock and I upgraded the gearing.
Non Rubicon LJ's don't come stock with front D44 axles, they come with LPd30's...
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
danmauro
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know what to tell you. I have a dana 44 up front be it from the previous owner or however. But can we focus on the rear end of my jeep as that's what I'm asking about?
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmauro View Post
I don't know what to tell you. I have a dana 44 up front be it from the previous owner or however. But can we focus on the rear end of my jeep as that's what I'm asking about?
If you're going to 4.5" suspension lift, I would think that an SYE, DC driveshaft and adjustable control arms would be a good idea.

The DC driveshaft/SYE would replace the slip yoke and move the slip yoke function to the middle of the driveshaft...
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4.5" is pushing it on height for an lj without a sye and cvds. im sure its been done, but u might get some vibration.
you should do an sye!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i think there are some links about this in my sig.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
danmauro
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
i think there are some links about this in my sig.
Thanks, your sig answered pretty much all of my questions.

Tags
lift , lj , sye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.