JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   lj and SYE question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lj-sye-question-1564613/)

danmauro 08-20-2013 01:09 AM

lj and SYE question

So I've had the 3 inch lift on my 05 Lj a little over 4 years now and it is way past time for a change (my front springs are sagging and it makes me sad). I am thinking of dropping some dough and moving up to a 4.5" lift (something with johnny joints all out the wazoo). The question I have come across and can't seem to find a definitive answer to is do I need an SYE with the longer rear drive shaft of the Lj? I do a fair amount of moderate (not a subjective statement at all...) off roading and while the 3 inches of lift have served me fine so far...my cousin just put 4 inches on his 09 Wrangler and now it's taller than mine! :facepalm:

Also if you'll all forgive my ignorance...
The slip yolk itself slides in and out of the Xcase with rear axle movement. Does having the slip yolk eliminator limit the movement of your rear axle because the rear drive line no longer has the ability to "make itself longer"? Is the replacement rear axle kind of one size fits all, or do you have to order based specifically to fit the lift you are doing?

Also I have heard a lot about how an SYE and new rear drive shaft is the way to go simply because it is stronger, and odds are that no matter what I will eventually be putting one on. But I am not exactly made of money so if I get the lift now, I need to save up for the SE later and vice versa which is how the whole "do I really need it?" came up.

Knuckelhead 08-20-2013 01:24 AM

Is your LJ a Rubicon?...

DANMAURO'S JEEP
Year & Model
2005 LJ Wrangler
Engine
4.0L
Front Axle
dana 44
Rear Axle
dana 44
Gear Ratio
4:10

jaspepp 08-20-2013 01:27 AM

The SYE simply changes the t-case output to a fixed yoke, which requires a different drive shaft. This allows for a steeper/more proper pinion angle. But if you don't get adjustable control arms you can't adjust you r pinion angle. It turns into a snowball effect real quick at that point. If you don't have vibrations I wouldn't worry too much about it. An LJ is great rig!!!

danmauro 08-20-2013 01:35 AM

My Lj is not a Rubicon. It came with the 44's stock and I upgraded the gearing.

sjones26573 08-20-2013 01:37 AM

So did you do an axle and gear swap?

Knuckelhead 08-20-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmauro (Post 15814268)
My Lj is not a Rubicon. It came with the 44's stock and I upgraded the gearing.

Non Rubicon LJ's don't come stock with front D44 axles, they come with LPd30's...

danmauro 08-20-2013 01:49 AM

I don't know what to tell you. I have a dana 44 up front be it from the previous owner or however. But can we focus on the rear end of my jeep as that's what I'm asking about?

Knuckelhead 08-20-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmauro (Post 15814285)
I don't know what to tell you. I have a dana 44 up front be it from the previous owner or however. But can we focus on the rear end of my jeep as that's what I'm asking about?

If you're going to 4.5" suspension lift, I would think that an SYE, DC driveshaft and adjustable control arms would be a good idea.

The DC driveshaft/SYE would replace the slip yoke and move the slip yoke function to the middle of the driveshaft...

joe_jeep 08-20-2013 11:00 AM

4.5" is pushing it on height for an lj without a sye and cvds. im sure its been done, but u might get some vibration.
you should do an sye!

Unlimited04 08-20-2013 12:04 PM

i think there are some links about this in my sig.

danmauro 08-20-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 15815511)
i think there are some links about this in my sig.

Thanks, your sig answered pretty much all of my questions.

The time now is 08:14 PM.