JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   LJ Slip Yoke...how far can it slip..oops! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lj-slip-yoke-how-far-can-slip-oops-1082224/)

semprfimac 08-03-2010 05:24 PM

LJ Slip Yoke...how far can it slip..oops!

How far can my LJ's slip yoke "slip" / how bad a situation, before I'm on my back and try'in to reconnect it ? or worse.....

I know i need an SYE & CV shaft but until the funding is available I still need to wheel,

AFjeepMan 08-03-2010 06:14 PM

There are many people out there with 4" lifts and still running the slip yoke. I have a 3.25" lift and never upgraded to a slip yoke and never plan on it. I have plenty of room let and have maxed out my rear articulation without any issues. Do you have a t-case drop?

TheBoogieman 08-03-2010 06:24 PM

I've had several 4" lifts and never got a SYE or had any problems.

Knuckelhead 08-03-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFjeepMan (Post 9899443)
There are many people out there with 4" lifts and still running the slip yoke. I have a 3.25" lift and never upgraded to a slip yoke and never plan on it. I have plenty of room let and have maxed out my rear articulation without any issues. Do you have a t-case drop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoogieman (Post 9899498)
I've had several 4" lifts and never got a SYE or had any problems.

And that's why I've found rear drive shafts with broken rear U joints on the trail. No Jeep, just the DS...:rolleyes:

AFjeepMan 08-03-2010 08:05 PM

if the rear u-joint breaks as in shears into pieces then the rear driveshaft can fall out if it's not connected to the rear axle, but there are many 1000's of jeepers running the slip yoke with 3.5-4" of lift with absolutely no problems with the yoke slipping off.

Terrain Twister 08-03-2010 08:24 PM

Anyone running one of the EBay setups?

SLIP YOKE ELIMINATOR KIT PACKAGE SYE JEEP CV DRIVESHAFT: eBay Motors (item 320419836868 end time Aug-28-10 22:58:53 PDT)

Knuckelhead 08-03-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFjeepMan (Post 9900090)
if the rear u-joint breaks as in shears into pieces then the rear driveshaft can fall out if it's not connected to the rear axle, but there are many 1000's of jeepers running the slip yoke with 3.5-4" of lift with absolutely no problems with the yoke slipping off.

When the slip yoke falls out, the drive shaft drops causing the rear U joint to fail. I've seen that many times. But, you have to go off road to experience that...

semprfimac 08-03-2010 11:18 PM

Sounds like a mixed bag...some do..some don't,

thanks Knuckelhead

JLITTY 08-03-2010 11:22 PM

Cheap insurance to just get the sye. Would suck to be in the middle of nowhere and find out the hard way.

bairy 08-04-2010 09:01 AM

I had a 4" lift with proper wheelbase on clayton long arms...thought i was fine...

At some point I managed to ever so slightly twist the spines on the output shaft probably because there was a lack of engagement at droop. The vibrations the DS can make when there is a locked up slip yoke is freakishly scary. Had to sledge hammer off the driveshaft from the output shaft and drove home 500 miles on the front DS. ...then came a new SYE.

Unlimited04 08-04-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bairy (Post 9902365)
I had a 4" lift with proper wheelbase on clayton long arms...thought i was fine...

At some point I managed to ever so slightly twist the spines on the output shaft probably because there was a lack of engagement at droop. The vibrations the DS can make when there is a locked up slip yoke is freakishly scary. Had to sledge hammer off the driveshaft from the output shaft and drove home 500 miles on the front DS. ...then came a new SYE.

x2...i've managed to max my LJ's slip yoke out on 2.5" of lift with a tummy tuck. I could almost pull the shaft off with the shocks out and the axle at full droop. I finally installed a DC shaft this past weekend. :thumbsup:

Knuckelhead 08-04-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bairy (Post 9902365)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 9902719)
x2...i've managed to max my LJ's slip yoke out on 2.5" of lift with a tummy tuck. I could almost pull the shaft off with the shocks out and the axle at full droop. I finally installed a DC shaft this past weekend. :thumbsup:

Experience speaks the truth for others in the learning stage.
Thanks for the input guys...:thumbsup:

semprfimac 08-04-2010 08:54 PM

okay, SYE & CV shaft back to the top of the list....thanks guys :D

The time now is 09:54 PM.