LJ and long wheel base drive line help - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ and long wheel base drive line help

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Reply
Unread 03-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
UnlimitedJDB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 98
LJ and long wheel base drive line help

Ok, after a ton of research and back and forth in my head I need a bit of advice.

I currently have 3" of lift and want to do a tummy tuck. I'm set on the Nth degree skid which uses a low profile mount and will net me 2.5" or skid height, but only 1.5" of drive line lift for a total of 4.5" from stock. This is (based on reading I have done) the upper limit of lift in an LJ before needing an SYE and CV shaft. Also, I have just installed a 1 1/4 BL and 1" MML, so that will help a bit on pushing the 4.5".

SO the question is do I need adjustable upper arms to adjust the pinion angle with this much drive line lift, or does that only come into play when I install an SYE/CV? I can't seem to find the answer.

I dont want to buy the skid and then need adjustable arms, but I am ok with spacing the skid down 1/2"-1" for a few months until I have the funds for an SYE if there any vibes.

__________________
2005 LJ:
3" Zone coil lift-33x10.50 toyo MTs-Custom painted ravines-Custom home brew bumper
Smittybilt XRC comp winch-Smittybilt SRC roof rack-Custom home brew insta-trunk
UnlimitedJDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com
 
XTRyan's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedJDB View Post
Ok, after a ton of research and back and forth in my head I need a bit of advice.

I currently have 3" of lift and want to do a tummy tuck. I'm set on the Nth degree skid which uses a low profile mount and will net me 2.5" or skid height, but only 1.5" of drive line lift for a total of 4.5" from stock. This is (based on reading I have done) the upper limit of lift in an LJ before needing an SYE and CV shaft. Also, I have just installed a 1 1/4 BL and 1" MML, so that will help a bit on pushing the 4.5".

SO the question is do I need adjustable upper arms to adjust the pinion angle with this much drive line lift, or does that only come into play when I install an SYE/CV? I can't seem to find the answer.

I dont want to buy the skid and then need adjustable arms, but I am ok with spacing the skid down 1/2"-1" for a few months until I have the funds for an SYE if there any vibes.
While you're still running the stock drive shaft you'll want the pinion angle of the rear differential to be at the same angle as the output shaft of the transfer case. If that angle is off considerably, you may have vibrations and wear on your U-joints.

If you can't accomplish that with the factory arms, you'll want some Adjustable Control Arms. If you go to a SYE and CV shaft, the adjustable arms will allow you to point the pinion at the output shaft, which is proper alignment for a CV shaft.

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like a quote!

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Tonellin
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,286
Yes you will.

I'm in the same situation right now except with the UCF ultra high clearance. You will need rear uppers at a minimum
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/lj-rubicon-build-1481013/
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,131
I spaced my skid plate down until I could afford the SYE. The MML will help.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
UnlimitedJDB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Yes you will.

I'm in the same situation right now except with the UCF ultra high clearance. You will need rear uppers at a minimum
What is the net driveline lift with that set up? I am assuming you are using the lo pro mount?
__________________
2005 LJ:
3" Zone coil lift-33x10.50 toyo MTs-Custom painted ravines-Custom home brew bumper
Smittybilt XRC comp winch-Smittybilt SRC roof rack-Custom home brew insta-trunk
UnlimitedJDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
UnlimitedJDB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 98
No one else can chime in on this? I am thinking about buying/building a TMR cross member and then I can put it where ever I like and then build a custom alum skid. But I think the goal is still to only net 1.5" more drive line lift.
__________________
2005 LJ:
3" Zone coil lift-33x10.50 toyo MTs-Custom painted ravines-Custom home brew bumper
Smittybilt XRC comp winch-Smittybilt SRC roof rack-Custom home brew insta-trunk
UnlimitedJDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
DBLJ
Web Wheeler
 
DBLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Braintree, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,917
Maybe. The only way to find out is if you do it.
__________________
Buy my welder. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f94/l...75-hd-1399807/
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedJDB View Post
No one else can chime in on this? I am thinking about buying/building a TMR cross member and then I can put it where ever I like and then build a custom alum skid. But I think the goal is still to only net 1.5" more drive line lift.
What else do you want? 4" is the maybe/maybe not zone for LJ's. Like I said before, I spaced down my skid before I could afford a SYE. If you don't want to spend money on something that may not work, save until you can do it all at once.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
1 Long CJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SW Illinois
Posts: 267
So what is on the list for a Rubicon Unlimited tummy tuck? I'm running the BDS 3" and 1" BL.
It doesn't need an SYE. And having the longer wheelbase helps too, right?
Just the MML and cross my fingers?
Plan to get Adj. control arms eventually, anyway.
__________________
Life is short. Play hard.

1979 CJ5, 1982 CJ8, 2004 WJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon
1 Long CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
j_bydesign
Senior Member
 
j_bydesign's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 916
I installed the(OME 2.5" and 3" BL) Nth degree tummy tuck, 1" MML SYE and New Rear CV drive shaft along with uppers and lower CAs from Currie... If you can not afford to do it right... right now... then I would say wait... and save up until you can go all the way... I am NOT an LJ but rather a TJ and i have had absolutely NO death wobble and have run this set up for about two years... would do it all over agian in a heart beat... good luck with your build
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/dat...s/S5002031.JPG

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Tonellin
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,286
You'll nee a new DC driveshaft. Also, with just a 1" BL you're most likely going to have to do some hammer time on the tub to get the very large 241 wedged up in there. A cable shifter upgrade is also highly recommended (Novak or Savvy)
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/lj-rubicon-build-1481013/
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Tonellin
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,286
[QUOTE=j_bydesign;21800889] 3" BL /QUOTE]



got any more pics?
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/lj-rubicon-build-1481013/
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
UnlimitedJDB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
You'll nee a new DC driveshaft. Also, with just a 1" BL you're most likely going to have to do some hammer time on the tub to get the very large 241 wedged up in there. A cable shifter upgrade is also highly recommended (Novak or Savvy)
I'm not a rubicon, so there is no 241 for worry about.

From the previous reading I have done most guys didn't need a DC shaft with 4.5" net lift, if using upper or lower adjustable arms, and some didn't even need adjustable arms.

I'm just trying to gauge what I need based on as many people's experience as possible.
__________________
2005 LJ:
3" Zone coil lift-33x10.50 toyo MTs-Custom painted ravines-Custom home brew bumper
Smittybilt XRC comp winch-Smittybilt SRC roof rack-Custom home brew insta-trunk
UnlimitedJDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Tonellin
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedJDB View Post
I'm not a rubicon, so there is no 241 for worry about.

From the previous reading I have done most guys didn't need a DC shaft with 4.5" net lift, if using upper or lower adjustable arms, and some didn't even need adjustable arms.

I'm just trying to gauge what I need based on as many people's experience as possible.
Crap sorry, that got messy because I didn't quote '1 Long CJ' question. I thought you and him were the same person. I'd be hard pressed to imagine guys getting away without adjustables at that much lift. I've got the 3" BDS and with my UCF tummy tuck I've heard nothing but guys telling me I'll need a DC DS which bummed me out because I wasn/t originally planning on getting one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Long CJ View Post
So what is on the list for a Rubicon Unlimited tummy tuck? I'm running the BDS 3" and 1" BL.
It doesn't need an SYE. And having the longer wheelbase helps too, right?
Just the MML and cross my fingers?
Plan to get Adj. control arms eventually, anyway.
My response above was to you not 'UnlimitedJDB' haha
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/lj-rubicon-build-1481013/
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,497
You won't need a Novak cable kit. The Nth TT has its own solution to that issue, at least it did when I installed mine. Sorry cannot help with your question as I have a TJ and have 4" lift springs.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.