LJ Long Arm Articulation Test Results. (Pictures) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ Long Arm Articulation Test Results. (Pictures)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Long Arm Articulation Test Results. (Pictures)

I asked the guys at T and J to put my Jeep on their ramp to see exactly what kind of articulation I was getting. I wish they would have taken a couple from the back of the ramp but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Last edited by DocMojave; 06-22-2010 at 11:36 AM..
DocMojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

Great looking LJ!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is there anything I could do to get more articulation or travel?
Unread 06-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
Is there anything I could do to get more articulation or travel?
There always is.

Outboard shocks/ raise upper shock mounting locations for starts.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

looks like shocks are your limiting factor, might be track bars or radius arms too.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
looks like shocks are your limiting factor, might be track bars or radius arms too.
Where do I start?
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Where do I start?
disconnect shocks, run it up the ramp again, see if that gets you as far as your comfortable with
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you move your shock mounts on your frame higher you can run longer shocks and have more up and down travel.

You can triangulate your rear uppers and lose your rear track bar.

You can get rid of your stock front fenders and run some sort of highline fenders, either tube or something like a AEV highline kit.

If you search those 3 things on this forum you will have a ton of reading.

Just know that there's a lot of cutting and welding involved.

You only want as much flex as you can use, so going past the point where your coil springs become unseated is worthless.

I would search the forum for someone that has your exact lift that has made some of the modifications that I mentioned and ask them a few questions. Do some searches in the build threads, there's some amazing jeeps in there.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A BL and triming those flares will let your SL fully flex out ( or at least flex more then that ). I did that on my jeep and it gave me some more flex.
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg311TJ View Post
A BL and triming those flares will let your SL fully flex out ( or at least flex more then that ). I did that on my jeep and it gave me some more flex.
His tires are tucked up inside the flares so he shouldn't need to trim them... unless there is a way to trim them up underneath where they mount to the fender. My front flares have bumps in them from my tires hitting them before my BL.
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
justanotherjpr

I think you're really at about the limit of useable flex. Much more down travel and it's really not going to get you a lot. It really looks great... Can we get some shots of it in action?
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep06 View Post
His tires are tucked up inside the flares so he shouldn't need to trim them... unless there is a way to trim them up underneath where they mount to the fender. My front flares have bumps in them from my tires hitting them before my BL.

There's about a 1/2 inch of plastic in the wheell well that can be trimmed and the BL would help lift that up even further...
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
I think you're really at about the limit of useable flex. Much more down travel and it's really not going to get you a lot. It really looks great... Can we get some shots of it in action?
Coming very soon. Actually for my purposes I think what Ive got is all Ill need but "nothings exceeds like excesses". I would like to try the Rubicon Trail next year and I like driving in the Mojave CA. It will get me to the secluded hunting camps that I like and that was my initial goal.

I just want to make sure Ive got all of my ducks in a row.

EDIT: It is my daily driver also so I want to keep it functional for long road trip comfort (as much as can be expected anyway).
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Coming very soon. Actually for my purposes I think what Ive got is all Ill need but "nothings exceeds like excesses". I would like to try the Rubicon Trail next year and I like driving in the Mojave CA. It will get me to the secluded hunting camps that I like and that was my initial goal.

I just want to make sure Ive got all of my ducks in a row.

Makes sense. Are you running a stock tie rod? Do you have a steering box skid? Those are two commonly overlooked items. I carry a complete spare steering system. A stock setup is cheap and I have needed the parts on the trail before.
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stop worrying about "max flex" and get a Currie Antirock. People around here tend to put max flex on a pedestal when other things should come first.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.