LJ LCOG build, questions on springs,bumpstops,improving articulation etc.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ LCOG build, questions on springs,bumpstops,improving articulation etc....

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ LCOG build, questions on springs,bumpstops,improving articulation etc....

OK. So my new Metal Cloak fenders are on the way(Overlines with 6" front/rear fender flares,rocker guard,MC front bumper etc), and Ive decided to go with 33x10.5x15 BFG tires so as to not have to worry about backspacing/rubbing etc.

The body/tub are being prepped(rust removal repriming,monstaliner etc) right now.

Engine rebuild is basically done(all new components save for crank,rods,pistons,camshaft)as well.

So the next phase here is to improve the suspension and specifically the articulation. The Metal Cloak fender/flare system as it sits has 0 rubbing issues with the 33x10.5's.

I want to keep the LCOG as low as possible, but I want to improve articulation. One thing I am set to order and to pick up is either the Rokmen JJ upper/lower control arms and front upper JJ control axle adaptor brackets, or possibly the Savvy set since the uppers can adjust the axle pinion angle without any disassembly. So this should allow the axles to flex better. The question though is what else can be done? I wouldnt mind doing a small lift of around 2-3"(via springs and shocks, NOT spacers)if it will gain me better articulation of the axles. And while we are on the subject, if I did do a 2-3" lift would I be able to keep the stock bumpstop height since the 33's have no issues with stuffing/rubbing into the fenders and flares. I believe going to longer bumpstops actually reduces axle flex travel range and would like to maximise it and do so without worrying about a spring coming out of its perch or beating on the shocks own internal bumpstops. Currently I am looking at the OME 2" kift kit with springs and shocks, it also comes with bumpstops, but I assume I wouldnt need them with the aftermarket fenders?

Also, looking at undercover fab's no lift center skid which does not alter driveline geometry when used with a transfer case drop mount. It gains me about 1.5" of center ground clearance. Or I could do the original extra clearance center skid, but would need a 1" MML and 1" Body lift to fit that without driveline geometry change, but I would also gain clearance on the gastank as well, especially with their own gas skid which raises the tank up another inch on top of the bodylift itself.

Any help here on suggestions for improving articulation and flex travel of the axle while minimizing lifting of the vehicle would be great.

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
ftgiles

Your control arms are not limiting your flex, your shocks and sway bar (if connected) are your limit.

If you want more flex you have to concentrate on longer shocks. Undo your sway bar and the shock's lower mounts and then flex your Jeep's suspension. You'll be amazed at how much flex those stock control arms will allow.

Running longer shocks requires one of two approaches in order to protect them from bottoming out and an early death. Either increase your bump stop length, which limits up-travel, or relocate your shock mounts.

If you want to run longer shocks so that you get more flex and you use the extended bump stop method (common approach) you're forced to lift the Jeep to gain back some of the up-travel lost by extending the bump stops.

So if you don't want a lift or much of a lift, then you need to concentrate on shock relocation in order to run longer shocks.

Big fender openings and shock relocation so you can run longer shocks will give you a ton of articulation, even with your stock control arms and stock springs. Don't think even for a minute that replacing your control arms will give you any flex!

There's a lot more, but this is a starting point to get you thinking in the right direction.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
Your control arms are not limiting your flex, your shocks and sway bar (if connected) are your limit.

If you want more flex you have to concentrate on longer shocks. Undo your sway bar and the shock's lower mounts and then flex your Jeep's suspension. You'll be amazed at how much flex those stock control arms will allow.

Running longer shocks requires one of two approaches in order to protect them from bottoming out and an early death. Either increase your bump stop length, which limits up-travel, or relocate your shock mounts.

If you want to run longer shocks so that you get more flex and you use the extended bump stop method (common approach) you're forced to lift the Jeep to gain back some of the up-travel lost by extending the bump stops.

So if you don't want a lift or much of a lift, then you need to concentrate on shock relocation in order to run longer shocks.

Big fender openings and shock relocation so you can run longer shocks will give you a ton of articulation, even with your stock control arms and stock springs. Don't think even for a minute that replacing your control arms will give you any flex!

There's a lot more, but this is a starting point to get you thinking in the right direction.
Yes I ordered some sway bar quick disconnects and am aware the sway bars reduce axles articulation.

How are the Synergy front/rear shock relocation kits? If I get longer shocks, do I have to do longer springs as well? Keeping lift to 2" or less would be great. Again I want to improve articulation and axle flex/travel, with minimal lift, but with alot more axle articulation I would think I need longer springs or some type of kit that keeps the stock springs in the mounts?
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

return the sway bar disco's and order a currie anti rock.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of shock relocation kits, been looking at Clayton's site for their high clearance axle bracket kits and shock relocation kits. Cutting and welding brackets is definetly an option for me. Longer shocks and better angling for them(rear specifically) seems like a good option to go along with either Rokmen or Savvy JJ adjustable control arms.......

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.