LJ Engine won't go below 2K - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ Engine won't go below 2K

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
2ndmardiv
2006 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Engine won't go below 2K

Brought the LJ in for some exhaust work and a tune up. Ended up replacing the cracked exhaust manifold. When I drove it to work the next day, the engine wouldn't go below 2K RPM's. When I release the brakes after a stop, the Jeep accelerates up to about 20 mph without my foot on the gas.

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndmardiv View Post
Brought the LJ in for some exhaust work and a tune up. Ended up replacing the cracked exhaust manifold. When I drove it to work the next day, the engine wouldn't go below 2K RPM's. When I release the brakes after a stop, the Jeep accelerates up to about 20 mph without my foot on the gas.
Vacuum line left off the intake manifold?

Intake manifold not seated properly on the engine head causing a vacuum leak?...
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The mechanic didn't get the intake manifold properly seated to the intake manifold which is a common issue for an inattentive or rushed mechanic. That he gave the Jeep back to you without bother to fix that problem he caused is inexcusable.

It could also be a vacuum line left off the intake manifold like Knuckelhead mentioned but my bet is the intake manifold wasn't properly seated by the mechanic. There are two small positioning studs on the head that the mechanic has to get the intake manifold properly positioned over. I wouldn't use that mechanic again, that's for sure.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
2ndmardiv
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jerry and Knucklehead, thanks a lot for the information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.