LJ DIY "insta-trunk" PDF plans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ DIY "insta-trunk" PDF plans

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ DIY "insta-trunk" PDF plans

I have been looking high and low for some and insta-trunk for my LJ and came up empty handed, then I took a look at the boards and it turns out I'm not the only one who is after one. I went though the trouble of designing one, so I figured I would share the plans if there is anyone else out there who wants to make one. I'm using checker plate aluminum, but you could use plywood or steel and it would work just as well. I wanted a continuous bed look, so it extends the full length of tub, as opposed to stopping at the wheel wells like other designs I have seen. For security I am going to used a threaded chain link with lock tight secured to the baby seat floor attachment points, which will allow me to remove it if I have to, but will be enough to stop random thieves...unless they have a crescent wrench and are smart enough to flip the seat down.I will also rivit an alum. angle to the rear door so that when it is closed the trunk can't be lifted. This will allow the trunk to be secure, but it wont have to be screwed into the tub at all. I will post photos when it is done. This can be modified to suit a TJ as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

J

And with the off cuts I made some bumper caps!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9i...EyZDY0OGI1ZWQ5

Last edited by UnlimitedJDB; 11-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: added link
UnlimitedJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

crap, I can't seem to post PDFs...any one want to help me out with this?
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Post a link to an external site?

In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.
- Thoreau

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was, within me, an invincible summer.
- Albert Camus

[B]Disclaimer:[/B] The advice given on this forum is free; however, its value may be much less than you paid for it.
chitownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownEMT View Post
Post a link to an external site?
So I have to post them somewhere else first?
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
JonnieBlaze
2004 LJ Wrangler 

would google docs work?

Interested in seeing these plans....I've been wanting to build one but been busy working on some tube fenders.
JonnieBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Never mind...I'm a new member and I have to post 30 photos before you will be able to see them...that might take a while. If you want to plans just PM me and I will email them to you.
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
KillerSloth
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Try Google docs, or you may be able to convert it to a .tiff file to post on any image hosting site. If you don't have the ability to do that, you can send it to me and I can do it for you.
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think I got it figured out...Sorry for the rapid posts!

Last edited by UnlimitedJDB; 10-28-2011 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: wrong link
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, that seems to work. Can someone confirm for me? I have 1:1s of all the cut outs as well.

Last edited by UnlimitedJDB; 10-28-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I should also mention that you have to remove your windows/hard top to get this in, and it might prove to me a major pain in the butt, but I was able to work in a cardboard template with only a few curses.
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
sludge
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That works, I can access it.
sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
wytewolf00
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks pretty good. There's no vertical height on the rear (I think?) section, though. It shows how tall the bottom part (wheel well) is, but nothing for the total height.

I was thinking about doing something similar to this, with a front panel that locks as well. My tailgate lock doesn't always like to cooperate with me, so I would need a way to secure the box and it's contents.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #295
wytewolf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The overall height is 12 1/2". I will amend the drawing when I get a chance.

I never labeled the drawings because I didn't really plan on showing anyone, but the top is the plan view (looking from the top) and the one on the bottom is the elevation (looking from the back of the jeep. The overall height is 12 1/2"

You could add a piano hinge and another 12x32" plate with a hasp to the floor if you dont want to rely on the gate for security, the only issue I see with this is the gate latch pin, but you can just notch the plate.
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I updated the drawings and put the link on the first post. I am going to build it today and will post pictures

Last edited by UnlimitedJDB; 10-29-2011 at 07:34 PM..
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been planning something like this but will go all the way over the rear cargo area (I don't run a rear seat). I plan to bolt the top to the wheel wells and have some tie downs on top of it.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box , diy , lj , trunk cover

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.