LJ Clayton Pro series long arm kit....... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ Clayton Pro series long arm kit.......

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Clayton Pro series long arm kit.......

Looking at picking up this kit: http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/356

I like the idea of a 3 link up front, with a triangulated 4 link in the rear that eliminates the rear trackbar. Uses all 2.5" JJ(which I would not use in favor of the Metal Cloak Duraflex joints which will swap right in)housings allowing me to use duroflex joints instead.

I know alot of people here don't like the long arm kits with the TJ's, but with the LJ platform, seems like this might be a favorable setup in a number of ways for my needs and a better performing setup vs. the available short arm setups.

I know the big issue with TJ's is getting hung up on the arms on the breakover, but on the LJ's it does not seem like that would be as much of an issue. Even with a 5.5" LA setup, the Clayton control arms themselves seem like that are still tucked closer to the frame than the stock control arms and specifically those large honking frame side mounts they go into both front and rear.

Any thoughs and experiences from LJ owners with this kit or a similiar LA setup?

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm confused as to why you think the under-frame footprint is improved with an LJ over a TJ.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I'm confused as to why you think the under-frame footprint is improved with an LJ over a TJ.
Under frame footprint? Im talking about overall stability of the LJ vs. the TJ. Long arms seem to significantly hurt breakover angle on the TJ, but on the LJ seems like really a non issue with no real negative effects.
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Breakover = under frame footprint. If anything, the problem is worsened with an LJ due to the longer wheelbase and larger distance between the skid plate and rear axle.

Where does stability even enter that discussion?

This should help explain footprint:

Large footprint--lots to get caught up on

Small footprint--minimal junk to get caught up on
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Breakover = under frame footprint. If anything, the problem is worsened with an LJ due to the longer wheelbase and larger distance between the skid plate and rear axle.

Where does stability even enter that discussion?

This should help explain footprint:

Large footprint--lots to get caught up on

Small footprint--minimal junk to get caught up on
That is not a Clayton LA kit though.......
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Are you lifting your Jeep now? This would be a bad idea if your going to keep it low.
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Clayton kit uses the same arms regardless of it being a TJ or LJ. On an LJ the mounts are just further back on the frame. They don't attach to the skid like RE. Other than that, I'm staying out of this debate.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a Clayton kit in my LJ and I love it.
Not to start a pissing match with the LA vs. SA,
I have had both and the LA rides much nicer on the street for a dd.
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
The Clayton kit uses the same arms regardless of it being a TJ or LJ. On an LJ the mounts are just further back on the frame. They don't attach to the skid like RE. Other than that, I'm staying out of this debate.
From what I understand the LJ long arm kits are slightly different in the rear vs. the TJ other than just where they mount to the frame. Or at least that is what CLayton mfg. told me.
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
I have a Clayton kit in my LJ and I love it.
Not to start a pissing match with the LA vs. SA,
I have had both and the LA rides much nicer on the street for a dd.
Yep, I had a chance to ride in an LJ today with the standard 4" long arm lift kit, and I was actually really impressed with the on road ride quality. REALLY IMPRESSED.
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

you do realize that the TJ and LJ are identical in every way, except for 10" of extra frame rail, right?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
From what I understand the LJ long arm kits are slightly different in the rear vs. the TJ other than just where they mount to the frame. Or at least that is what CLayton mfg. told me.
Yea they are slightly different due to the WB. I am running a Clayton LA with 5" stretch.....I love it. Yea I have run a ground (rock) on one of the lower control arm mounts....once so far. I still hang up on my diffs regularly...just like everybody else.

It's a quality kit.....I know everybody thinks it's a bolt on.....well the control arms are after you cut the OEM brackets off & weld on the Clayton control arm brackets, truss and if you got the high clearance brackets for the axle & whatever else you plan on doing to it.

It's really no different than if you built your own brackets.....your still doing the same work. Only difference is Clayton gives you a print to follow & parts to install.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just repeat the opposite of everything you just said and your statements will make sense. Did you just skip over the part that says "Recommended lift height range 5.5" to 8" of lift."?
_KONG_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42
The only difference is the rear frame brackets.
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #15
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
The only difference is the rear frame brackets.
I could have sworn that when talking to Clayton they said that the rear control arms are slightly different in length too.........not 100% sure though.....Ill double check on Monday.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.