LJ axle upgrade and re-gear questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ axle upgrade and re-gear questions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
gcally
2004 LJ Wrangler 

LJ axle upgrade and re-gear questions

I am lost when it comes to upgrading my axles and gears in my 04 LJ. I am going to be running 33ís so I want to upgrade the axles and gears to something that will work good off-road and on-road. I did a lot of searching but I am still totally lost on what route to go. I know that I want lockers front and rear and I do not want to be stranded on the trails! Also should I be looking to upgrade the gears in the transfer case?

gcally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

go with 4.88 gears in the axles. you've already got a LSD in the rear. if you want to upgrade to lockers front and rear, go with selectables if you have the money. OX, Elocker or ARB, depends on your preference. if you don't have the money for selectables, then you have the choice of a lunchbox locker, TrueTrac or a Soflocker Detroit Locker.

your t-case will be fine, however a SYE will increase the torque capacity and if you land on the driveshaft, it will break a ujoint so you can limp home on FWD. if you land on your stock driveshaft there is a good chance you'll yank the slip yoke out in one piece spilling fluid all over the trail.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The axles you have will work great for 33" tires, given you have the 4 spd Auto you will want to regear from the 3.73's you have now to 4.56 or 4.88 ratio. Your transfer case is currently 2.71 ratio it should be fine for offroad with the auto. As to lockers, you will want to do them at the same time you regear so you are not paying twice for labour. Depending on your budget you could go Selectable, full case detroit, or lunchbox (most expensive to least). Given you have the Dana 44 in the rear if you are only going to lock one axle , lock the rear.
Unread 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
gcally
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I am trying to build a LCG rig. So I currenty have a 2.5 OME lift with JKS body and motor mount lift, Rokmen adjustable control arms, Rokmen sliders and full corners, JKS front Track Bar, Currie Antorock sway bar, and Currie HD steering. My play is to run 33’s for now because the jeep is also a daily driver and run 35’s when it becomes all off-road. I am planning to get a SYE and drive shaft when I get the Rokmen Tummy tuck and skid plates (should be soon). I do have a 4 speed Auto

Will 4.88 also work well with 35’s
Will the 4.88’s work well on the highway?
Will the front and rear axles be fine for 33’s (do I have to upgrade them to chrome molly?)
What is a Super30 kit and do I need one.
Do I need to purchase any other parts other than the gears and the lockers?

Thanks for all the help!!
Unread 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcally View Post
Will 4.88 also work well with 35’s - Not with the 42RLE.
Will the 4.88’s work well on the highway? - with 33s...yes; with 35s...no
Will the front and rear axles be fine for 33’s (do I have to upgrade them to chrome molly What is a Super30 kit and do I need one. - No, you'll be fine with 33s.
Do I need to purchase any other parts other than the gears and the lockers? - Do not buy the gears. have a shop buy them and install them, they will warranty the work, you want to pay the extra for this service.
See above, and like we already told you, your axles will be fine for 33s. once you go larger, you'll need upgrades. Because the deepest gearing you can go on the Dana 30 is 4.88s, and the 42RLE sucks, so you're limited by 33s if you want to drive on the highway.
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
gcally
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
See above, and like we already told you, your axles will be fine for 33s. once you go larger, you'll need upgrades. Because the deepest gearing you can go on the Dana 30 is 4.88s, and the 42RLE sucks, so you're limited by 33s if you want to drive on the highway.
That makes perfect sense.
Another option would be getting one of the TJ JK hybrid axles that Chrysler is supposed to offer. I know I would have to regear them but electric lockers would be much easier. Does anyone have any idea if these are going to be released?
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That makes perfect sense.
Another option would be getting one of the TJ JK hybrid axles that Chrysler is supposed to offer. I know I would have to regear them but electric lockers would be much easier. Does anyone have any idea if these are going to be released?
do a search on this forum. someone posted part numbers associated with them, they are going to be about $4100 EACH and will supposedly be available late 2009. You're better off with Dynatrac, Solid Axle or Currie for that kind of money.
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
gcally
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
do a search on this forum. someone posted part numbers associated with them, they are going to be about $4100 EACH and will supposedly be available late 2009. You're better off with Dynatrac, Solid Axle or Currie for that kind of money.
I did not realize they were going to be so much cash. Looks like it’s going to be 4.88's and lockers for now. What are the best lockers out there that do not require air? I know that everyone likes the ARB lockers but I would rather not install a compressor.
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did not realize they were going to be so much cash. Looks like it’s going to be 4.88's and lockers for now. What are the best lockers out there that do not require air? I know that everyone likes the ARB lockers but I would rather not install a compressor.
You've got 3 choices, air, electric or mechanically actuated. You said you don't want to install an air compressor, so that leaves you with mechanical or electric. The OX or Eaton ELocker, as indicated in post #2.
Unread 01-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm putting an Aussie Locker in my LJ front axle this weekend and leaving limited slip in the rear. I run 33's and drive all highway with my 3.73 gearing. Not the best but not bad. IMO. I do have a six speed. I hope to regear when I go to 35's to 4.88's. Aussie Locker from Northridge was 260 shipped. FYI.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Axkick

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am running 35's with 4.88's and love it..I have a detroit locker in the rear and im open in the front. I ran 33's for a while and it works great that way also. If i had the money i would of went with ARB lockers front and rear. For now my setup has taken me everywhere i needed, when i find a trail i can not get through its time to upgrade.
Axkick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Terrain Twister
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry unlimited, but I have to disagree. I run 4.88's and 35's and for MY situation, I think it's a great combo.

This is a debate that will always go on.

Personally, I don't wheel the rocks and I think the 4.88 gearing works good because of that. On the freeway, I'm about 200 RPM higher than I was with stock. IMO, this is perfect since the tires weigh more and you need a little more UHMF to get them moving. I do the fire trails, water crossings, some hill climbing, etc. and don't have any issues with there not being enough power. Now if I was doing the rocks and such, I'd have to say 5.13. You'll want more at the lower speeds to get you over the obstacles. You also need to change the front axle to a 44. But you sacrifice highway speed in exchange.

As far as the trans, put a cooler on it, keep it maintained and drive it. Many here don't have any problems with it.
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
gcally
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help, but I need to start over.

I now have now changed my build to include running 35’s. I thought I had everything figured out but now I am back at square one. I did a lot of searching for my options but I am still lost. I will be using the LJ for DD and a lot of off-road, so I want an axle that will hold up to 35’s. I do not plan on going any bigger than 35’s. I also need to keep the 4x4.5 bolt pattern.

HP30
Upgraded axle shafts (27 or 30 inner?)
ARB or Eaton Elocker
4.88 gears
What other stuff do I need to make this as strong as possible?

Custom build Dana 44 from Currie Enterprises
Comes complete with Chromalloy shafts, ARB, 4.88 gears
Is the custom built Dana 44 going to be that much stronger than the HP30?

I am looking for my best front axle option with keeping the 4x4.5 bolt pattern. I am clueless when it comes to axles so a list of the best setup would be great.
Unread 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Easy on the skinny pedal and keep your shafts. Upgrade later or when they break. You said mostly on road driving. Get wheels with proper back spacing or spacers. Re-gear to 4.88's. ($1000) Add and Aussie locker in the front. ($269) You will need at least a 4" lift to get decent flex with 35's. ($800-1200) 1.25 JKS Body lift. ($125) Good to go. That's the route I'm going and upgrading slowly. I don't have a bunch of money to throw.

or

33's with Rough country 2.5" lift( $400), 1.25 JKS body lift ($125), Aussie locker ($269), wheels with proper back spacing or spacers. Keep you 3.73 gears until you have more cash. They are not optimal but I have been driving them for 2 yrs all highway. Not to bad unless you want to pass.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
gcally
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjeep View Post
Easy on the skinny pedal and keep your shafts. Upgrade later or when they break. You said mostly on road driving. Get wheels with proper back spacing or spacers. Re-gear to 4.88's. ($1000) Add and Aussie locker in the front. ($269) You will need at least a 4" lift to get decent flex with 35's. ($800-1200) 1.25 JKS Body lift. ($125) Good to go. That's the route I'm going and upgrading slowly. I don't have a bunch of money to throw.

or

33's with Rough country 2.5" lift( $400), 1.25 JKS body lift ($125), Aussie locker ($269), wheels with proper back spacing or spacers. Keep you 3.73 gears until you have more cash. They are not optimal but I have been driving them for 2 yrs all highway. Not to bad unless you want to pass.
I really like doing everything at one time to save some cash in the long run. Here is a link to my build thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gcally-lj-build-680123/

I defiantly want to build an front axle with an ARB or Elocker that will hold up to the 35’s off-road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.