LJ Antisquat questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LJ Antisquat questions

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Antisquat questions

My LJ on 3.5" springs and stock rear arms (bought it this way, saving for currie savvy setup)has real bad rise on acceleration. Just curious how the Savvy/Currie is in this regard. Seems the Antisquat is just way off with the current setup but I can live with it until I can buy the new stuff.

rrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

to fix antisquat you need to cut the control arm mounts off and weld them in a better position, and this process normally accompanies fabricating new control arms.

here's some reading:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...metry-1423857/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...ething-698250/

use this calculator:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...uest-help.html
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I thought over that option and it will likely end up happening at a later point. I am just curious how the currie/savvy system is with this. I have only heard good htings about it but seems with fixed control arm mounts, and fixed length control arms (stock wheelbase so only adjusted to keep it at the correct wheelbase/angles) then the antisquat would happen with any lift of this type, that being 4 ish inches with stock control arm length and mounts. Possbily the spring rates and shocks help dramatically tho? Thanks for any input.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why would changing the control arms change the instant center location (that's a large determinant in how your rear suspension behaves once weight is transferred to that end)? IC location is a function of arm length and mount position. Slight changes in arm length won't make a noticeable difference.

What kind of results do you get when you line up to a steep wall and attempt to climb it? Do your tires spin or does your rig buck and hop?
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't even had it out wheeling much. Bought it 2 months ago. I will be getting rid of the stock arms and RE coils and going to the Currie/Savvy set up. The jeep currently rises a lot on acceleration on the street. As stated not much offroad time in it yet.

I don't expect the geometry of any of these short arm kits to change much, they can't with fixed geometry. Just curious from seat of the pants driving how the currie/savvy is for acceleration rise.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The RE Coils on stock rear arms and some random fronts buck around pretty bad too on the street. Just looking for seat of the pants experience with currie/savvy in these regards.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The rise under acceleration has nothing to do with what control arms you have. It is purely a function of the IC location, which will not change with different control arms. You said it yourself so I'm not sure what you're misunderstanding.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post

I don't expect the geometry of any of these short arm kits to change much, they can't with fixed geometry.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like you might really be asking a question about springs and shocks (given that you aren't changing geometry).
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Sounds to me like you might really be asking a question about springs and shocks (given that you aren't changing geometry).
After your geometry is set, whether by choice or not, the next step is spring selection and then shock selection and tuning.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
He may be. If that's the case, as long as the rear is rising under acceleration for geometric reasons, springs and shocks won't fix that.
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
After your geometry is set.
Damn, I knew there was a reason for this crap!
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Geometry will all be set I understand that. Apologies if I am making myself unclear. Maybe I should have said actual driving antisquat, not the calculated number. And I am probably asking more about springs and shocks and how the entire Savvy/Curry setup together does with anti squat. Not just the number a calculator will put out.

Springs/shocks won't make as much change in acceleration rise as the geometry does. But imagine if you had infinitely firm rebound damping on a shock, or a spring that was for a dump truck with an incredible high/large spring rate. Both of these scenarios would basically limit your suspension and probably make it not move at all. Giving you zero "practical" antisquat while accelerating. Yes the equations would still give you a high antsquat number but if your suspension can move it won't give you any real world antisquat.

So with Savvy's magical spring rates, and probably the fox IFP's they worked on, are people still noticing a lot of acceleration rise and general bouncing around from bumps. I've read nothing but good reviews on the suspension but just looking for more info. If anyone has it that's great, if not not big deal either.

-Cheers
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post
imagine if you had infinitely firm rebound damping on a shock, or a spring that was for a dump truck with an incredible high/large spring rate. Both of these scenarios would basically limit your suspension and probably make it not move at all. Giving you zero "practical" antisquat while accelerating. Yes the equations would still give you a high antsquat number but if your suspension can move it won't give you any real world antisquat.

You are right. That's exactly how it works. Stiffer may help in some regards and it will hurt in others. You can't have it all. You get to choose some characteristics and the rest will be chosen for you.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.