Little Red Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Little Red Build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Little Red Build

Well its time for me to build my jeep my way My goal is Low Center Of Gravity. I shall start with the history of my Jeep wrangler. Its a 1998 SE 2.5L 4 Cylinder.

I brought my jeep home April 1st 2011.
2" Body lift, 31's

Since then I removed the body lift. Herculined the interior. Touched up the Fenders. Replaced the lights (on light bar) Chopped front bumper. Installed Cobra ultra 19 CB.

The plan is 2" lift, Xenon fenders, lockers, Stinger, Winch, Driver brake light CB mount, JKS Discos, and many more!!

The day I brought my jeep home,
(gotta love the April fools hair)

TaylorJeffreyJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the lift (budget boost for now), its the 2" Rubicon Express coil spacer lift with out the shocks ($60). Without shocks because I'm not going to wheel it yet. Plus building my money pool. So collecting parts as of now. What would be a good shock to go with? I'm thinking the ProComp ES1000's
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the bumper chop. PO must of hit a tree. Tired of my jeep looking like I'm a bad driver so here she is now;
Before

After

Unread 10-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd skip the Xenon fenders & go with tube fenders. Xenons gain you nothing but looks. Where tubes will gain you a bit more tire clearance by eliminating the mounting flange on the stock fenders. The Xenon's still use this flange.

I'm going to assume you have D30 front & D35 rear. Therefore I would go Aussie in the front & leave the rear open until you upgrade later in life, then lock it. I always said I was going to lock my D35, but now I'm just thinking I'll run with the crowd & not drop a dime into the turd.

Check out Impeds build. Float Test Great reasonable, not over the top, build with a lot of great info.
Edit: READ ALL 180 PAGES.

Final thought, tow points!!!! Get some D ring mounts.
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
I'd skip the Xenon fenders & go with tube fenders. Xenons gain you nothing but looks. Where tubes will gain you a bit more tire clearance by eliminating the mounting flange on the stock fenders. The Xenon's still use this flange.

I'm going to assume you have D30 front & D35 rear. Therefore I would go Aussie in the front & leave the rear open until you upgrade later in life, then lock it. I always said I was going to lock my D35, but now I'm just thinking I'll run with the crowd & not drop a dime into the turd.

Check out Impeds build. Float Test Great reasonable, not over the top, build with a lot of great info.

Thank you! It's a lot to take in at once.

I think when I get my stinger I will include D rings in the search.

Xenon Fenders; the reason I was choosing these is because my friend is upgrading to metal cloaks and I would be able to get these dirt cheap. Maybe I might upgrade to Metal Cloak fronts and Xenons rear.

I'm also going to protect my vitals; oil pan, steering box, and radiator. When I was at Uwharrie I kept thinking in the back of my mind. What if a rock hits my oil pan.. That whole day I only scratched transfer plate once. Thanks to my spotter.
Unread 10-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You really need some good tow points. you can buy the ones that bolt onto the front bumper bolts & hold a d ring & you can throw a d ring in a receiver hitch for the rear. Makes life a lot easier on you & the person pulling you out.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
You really need some good tow points. you can buy the ones that bolt onto the front bumper bolts & hold a d ring & you can throw a d ring in a receiver hitch for the rear. Makes life a lot easier on you & the person pulling you out.
We use straps that have the hooks on the ends. The Jeeps frame has holes in the front/rear. Large enough to fit the hook
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorJeffreyJR View Post
We use straps that have the hooks on the ends. The Jeeps frame has holes in the front/rear. Large enough to fit the hook
Are you using actual snatch straps or cheap tow ropes you can buy at walmart?
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
SloPokTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You shouldn't use those straps, if they break they can/will damage some thing or someone.

but thats all i'm saying on that. Ive learned my lesson with those, then again i was stuck bad enough that a skidder had to get me out.
SloPokTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPokTJ View Post
You shouldn't use those straps, if they break they can/will damage some thing or someone.

but thats all i'm saying on that. Ive learned my lesson with those, then again i was stuck bad enough that a skidder had to get me out.
Its a 2" x 30' tow strap. we don't get stuck a lot. i will be upgrading my recovery system soon.
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
boarderthug
1997 TJ Wrangler 

spend the money for good shocks if you get shocks.. I have a 4" lift with the pro comps es 1000's.. love my jeep but she rides like a brick. I was talking to a friend (non jeeper) after a ride in my jeep about my suspension system and he said "what suspension?" I don't know what to tell you to get, but I do know that es 1000s ride bad.
boarderthug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
4bangersampler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

get some zone off road or bds shocks, they are solid for money.
4bangersampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post

How does the Aussie work out? the price is amazing!
Unread 10-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
amiller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've had an aussie in mine since 2007 with no problems and have had excellent offroad traction. I didn't look at where you reside, but if you get some snow, just be careful and learn how to drive with it installed. It will be a whole different animal with the Aussie or any other type of auto locker installed up front.
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How does the Aussie work out? the price is amazing!
I haven't taken it offroad yet with the Aussie, just installed it last weekend. I've played on some stuff around the house, an old silo pad, wood pile, etc. & it locks up hard & climbs right up those things now. Super inexpensive & super easy to install. You can't hear it click on tight turns either unless you have your head out the window & really listen.

A little trick I learned a few weeks back if you have an open rear & your one wheel starts spinning. Pull up on the parking brake slightly to give some resistance to that one rear spinning tire. No where near as good as a locker or LSD, but might be that extra nudge you need to get over whatever it is. I tried this last week too & kept my tire from spinning when it did on my previous attempt. I think this trick & the Aussie are going to make a world of difference with the Jeep's ability. I plan to give a healthy workout on the 5th.

The hook type straps aren't safe because there is no positive "locking" system to hold them on the Jeep. The hooks can come out & that's bad, not just for your recovery, but for those standing around.

Tags
build thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.