Lining Hardtop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lining Hardtop

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lining Hardtop

Need some opinions please. Before I put my hardtop back on for the fall and winter I'd like to line it with something...be it spray on rhino liner or carpet. I'd like it more for insulation from noise and heat escaping than anything...what do you all suggest? Who has done this and do you have any pics of your finished product? Thanks in advance.

Sam

samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't do mine myself, when I bought my jeep it was already done.

It's a 1 inch foam piece cut to fit, with a soft cloth cover put over it. He then glued it to the top with what feels like some sort of rubber cement. It works great, and looks decent too.. but I haven't gotten to the cold Canadian winter months yet, so we'll see.

Edit: Also, california tops does their tops with a liner too that looks pretty nice.. maybe inquire how they do it? You can buy a liner from them, but as many people will suggest, you might not want to purchase anything from them.

http://www.californiatops.com/liner_hard.html

quoted from that site:

"It is made of more than a 1/2" thick of 3M thinsulate blanket, sandwiched between two (2) layers of fibre fill and quilted in a high quality black nylon."

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
scrappy

mine has been done for years. what i did was take flooring insulation from summit ( the kind with the silver aluminum foil stuff on one side), remove the silver stuff, get actual headliner material ( in my case i used black, just call around to shops that redo headliners and buy the material) and spray glue with 3m super 90 spray from home depot. first i atatched the headliner material to the insulation, then i fit it to the hardtop, then i wraped the headliner material around the corners. it has been really quiet and really insulates the a/c well in the summer here in florida. ill see if i can post a pic later. total project was less than $100
99 TJ Sport 4.0 5sp, 30/44 aussie/truetrac and 4.88's, 4.5 RE, 1"BL/MML, 35" Toyo M/T's, Ramsey REP8000, JKS discos, Warn Flares 6", Tera rear discs, Jeeperman sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier, Nth oil skid, Currie HD steering, 33 engineering TT skid, JB conversions 231HD transfer case w/SYE/CV, Kilby steering box skid/gas tank skid, incab winch controller, Edge Trail Jammer, Baja RS seats, Viair OBA,
My Jeep
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds awesome...I'd love to see some pics if you have any

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy
mine has been done for years. what i did was take flooring insulation from summit ( the kind with the silver aluminum foil stuff on one side), remove the silver stuff, get actual headliner material ( in my case i used black, just call around to shops that redo headliners and buy the material) and spray glue with 3m super 90 spray from home depot. first i atatched the headliner material to the insulation, then i fit it to the hardtop, then i wraped the headliner material around the corners. it has been really quiet and really insulates the a/c well in the summer here in florida. ill see if i can post a pic later. total project was less than $100
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull
I didn't do mine myself, when I bought my jeep it was already done.

It's a 1 inch foam piece cut to fit, with a soft cloth cover put over it. He then glued it to the top with what feels like some sort of rubber cement. It works great, and looks decent too.. but I haven't gotten to the cold Canadian winter months yet, so we'll see.

Edit: Also, california tops does their tops with a liner too that looks pretty nice.. maybe inquire how they do it? You can buy a liner from them, but as many people will suggest, you might not want to purchase anything from them.

http://www.californiatops.com/liner_hard.html

quoted from that site:

"It is made of more than a 1/2" thick of 3M thinsulate blanket, sandwiched between two (2) layers of fibre fill and quilted in a high quality black nylon."
Please do some research on CalTops before purchasing anything from them!!!

They have a notoriously horrible reputation for ripping off there customers.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

california tops sells the liner for $200 plus $40 shipping. a huge ripoff IMHO.
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
hockey369
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to see pics to scrappy, i would like to do this to my top mainly to keep the condensation from dripping all over me in the winter. Thanks
01 TJ Sahara, RE BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on Soft 8s, Rampage Frameless Top, A to Z Rocker Guards, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Windshield Long Range Lights, UCF Engine Skid, UCF UHC Transmission Skid
My other toys:
04 Harley V-Rod
99 Yamaha GP1200 (For Sale)
hockey369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
scrappy

i will get some pics posted tonight. it raining nasty here today, so i have to wait till i get home in the garage.
99 TJ Sport 4.0 5sp, 30/44 aussie/truetrac and 4.88's, 4.5 RE, 1"BL/MML, 35" Toyo M/T's, Ramsey REP8000, JKS discos, Warn Flares 6", Tera rear discs, Jeeperman sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier, Nth oil skid, Currie HD steering, 33 engineering TT skid, JB conversions 231HD transfer case w/SYE/CV, Kilby steering box skid/gas tank skid, incab winch controller, Edge Trail Jammer, Baja RS seats, Viair OBA,
My Jeep
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
jeep-n00b

Speaking of lining...has anyone done or thought of rhino-lining the outside? just curious.
jeep-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
sgrim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-n00b
Speaking of lining...has anyone done or thought of rhino-lining the outside? just curious.
I thought about the inside....may use textured fusion instead.
American Racing Diamond Back 15x8" rims
1.25" JKS Body Lift and 1" JKS Budget Motor Mount Lift
4.10 Gears with Alloy USA Grande 35 w/ OX Locker
sgrim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't get it, I've never been cold in my Jeep, Heat and A/C work great in most Jeeps... No need for a liner, sounds like it should be money spent elsewhere.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #12
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprez27
I don't get it, I've never been cold in my Jeep, Heat and A/C work great in most Jeeps... No need for a liner, sounds like it should be money spent elsewhere.
Also, I rode in a Jeep with a Rhino-lined hardtop once, and man did it seem DARK inside! The white color on the inside of the Jeep is much more aesthetically pleasing, IMHO!
Unread 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
Rusty the Scoob

I used indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. Writeup is on Stu's site. Cost about $30 and really helped quiet down the Jeep in the winter.
2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
scrappy

Sorry i forgot to post pics, but here are the pics of the deadliner material and insulation.
p10101201.jpg   p10101212.jpg  
My Jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.