Limited Slip Differential???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Limited Slip Differential????

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
ctrax

Limited Slip Differential????

How do I know If I have a limited slip Differential?? Im changing Lube and need to know if I need the additive that is required. I,ve Looked all over the axle and there is nothing that says it is one. I have a 2001 wrangler.

Thanks

ctrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrax
How do I know If I have a limited slip Differential?? Im changing Lube and need to know if I need the additive that is required. I,ve Looked all over the axle and there is nothing that says it is one. I have a 2001 wrangler.

Thanks
You search before you ask.

EDIT: Also fill out your profile, so in the future peopel will know what your rig is.

But just to be nice.
-Some people have a sticker in or on or around their glove box. (I did not)
-You jack up the rear axle and spin one tire, if the other spins in the same direction you have a limited slip, or a locker. If the other spins opposite you are open. If neither spin take off the parking brake and repeat.
-You can also get a build sheet from jeep.
-Open up the diff cover and look
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Specifically, what gear oil are you going to use?

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
matt0369
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How do I order my build sheet? I did a search for build sheet, not helpful at all.

Matt
matt0369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
ctrax

I did search the forum and manual. All I cound find was that there would be a tag on the axle. The tag on my axle has a bunch of numbers but cant match the numbers to anything in the manual. I just joined the forum and have not had time to fill out my profile, but I did state that I have a 2001 Wrangler in the post. I was not trying to be lazy, but I spent at least an hour searching for the answer while my Jeep sits in the garage with the lube drained. I figured someone on this forum would know where to steer my for my answer.
I planned on useing 75w-90 GL5 in the front and 75w-140 synth in the rear as I sometimes tow. But in the manual it states that if you have a limited slip diff. that you need to ad a friction modifier. I just need to know how to read the numbers on the tags or any other way to tell if it has the limited slip diff.
Thanks
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
ctrax

Scotch740 thanks for the info. I have my covers off what do I look for. Also I'll jack it up a little higher and spin the tires to see. I just bought my Jeep a few weeks ago and have never had a 4x4 before so its all new to me. I have a Haynes manual and the original owners manual but they arent alot of help.
Thanks again for all the help
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did search the forum and manual. All I cound find was that there would be a tag on the axle. The tag on my axle has a bunch of numbers but cant match the numbers to anything in the manual. I just joined the forum and have not had time to fill out my profile, but I did state that I have a 2001 Wrangler in the post. I was not trying to be lazy, but I spent at least an hour searching for the answer while my Jeep sits in the garage with the lube drained. I figured someone on this forum would know where to steer my for my answer.
I planned on useing 75w-90 GL5 in the front and 75w-140 synth in the rear as I sometimes tow. But in the manual it states that if you have a limited slip diff. that you need to ad a friction modifier. I just need to know how to read the numbers on the tags or any other way to tell if it has the limited slip diff.
Thanks
Did you see the bottom of my post, after I was done being a smartass?

I had to jack up my rear axle and spin the tires. Unless your clutch disks are worn out they will both spin forward together if you have a limited slip. If they dont you don't have one. OR the clutch disks are worn out and if thats the case it probably doesn't matter if you put in an additive.

EDIT: AHH you did see it. Sorry for being rude. Theres lots of info that gets covered on a regular weekly if not daily basis on here.
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0369
How do I order my build sheet? I did a search for build sheet, not helpful at all.

Matt
From the sticky at the top of the TJ tech forum.

Unread 08-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
ctrax

Thanks again Scotch740 I have to go to work now but I'll try spinning the tires in the morning. Also does the limited slip keep it from being jerky going into turns? If so then I'm pretty sure mine is not limited slip because it jerks alot on tight turns while in 4 wheel drive
Unread 08-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks again Scotch740 I have to go to work now but I'll try spinning the tires in the morning. Also does the limited slip keep it from being jerky going into turns? If so then I'm pretty sure mine is not limited slip because it jerks alot on tight turns while in 4 wheel drive
Do NOT engage 4wd on pavement!!!

Its ok if you just do a straight line for a little to test you can get into 4wd but its no good to turn in 4wd when you have good traction.
EDIT: THe link I provided says never to use it due to the gears in the front beint 0.01 differance from the ones in the rear

When you turn, your wheels on the out side travel further than the ones on the inside. The fronts also travel different distances than the ones in the rear. When you put a vehicle with a transfer case like those in our wranglers in 4wd it wants to rotate all 4 tires at the same speed. Therefore something has to give. That jerking is when you tires are breaking traction to "catchup" to the other tires. This is not good for your driveline.

It also does not prove or disprove you have a limited slip, only that your 4wd is working.

Another link from the sticky.
When to use 4wd Jeep 101
Unread 08-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of 01 Wrangler do you have? SE, Sport?

If its an SE, you do not have a limited slip because it was never an option.

Below is a pic of an open carrier (left) next to a limited slip (right). Thanks to SecondTJ for the pic.

Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
reed338
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I never knew how to test until reading this, and it just took me five minutes to jack the jeep up and spin the tires. I wouldnt mess around trying anything else, nothing could have been easier.
reed338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
ctrax

Thanks for the picture and all the help. I jacked it up and spun the wheels. They turned the oposite dirrection, so they shouldnt be limited slip. I have a 2001 Wrangler Sport. Thet clutche disks inside shouldnt be worn as it only has 30,000 miles on it. So I'm pretty confident with the test that it is not limited slip. I put the covers back on before I saw the posted picture, and I dont wantr to pull them back off. There is not much difference in the two by looks but I believe the were rounded more like the picture of the lnon-imited slip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.