Lighting up the night! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lighting up the night!

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 09-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
CPFLIP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lighting up the night!

what does everyone thinks the best light option? just got the barricade bumper thats new from extreme terrain and am getting a winch soon! what should i get for lights to turn night into day? up for any options/price! lets hear it

CPFLIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you thinking to mount to that new bumper or just anywhere? If anywhere I'd go with a 50" LED bar across the top of the windshield from Rigid or somewhere else of comparable quality. If you are talking about bumper mount then a set of LED Duallys. Or you could buy the PIAA 520 fogs and spots that I have for sale in the classified.
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I actually had 4 mount points on my bumper. I used the two lower ones for a wide throw and the uppers for a distance light profile - this gave good visibility for both areas. LEDs are more expensive to be sure, but it's nice to be able to leave your fogs on without the engine running and not having to worry nearly as much that you might drain the battery.

Another consideration for me, and why I chose Rigid, was the abuse they can take and the small profile they provide. With my prior typical round fogs (see my avatar) I got tired of bumping them out of alignment, and more importantly having to pull over to take off the covers to actually use them when I needed them. The SRMs and SRQs from Rigid I can run even where they are at on the bumper without them getting in the way and not worrying about a rock cracking their lenses...

drandersoninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I've got my eye one some rigid dually's after watching some vids on YouTube. I'm looking at the flood pattern. Let me tell you there's alot of light output in such a small package
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

If you really want to turn night into day:

50" Rigid E-series on top - this is a combo spot and flood beam pattern that has a really nice even distribution of light everywhere... it's extremely bright and really the only reason for other additional lights instead of this one are for situations when it's too much.
10" Ridid E-series amber x 2 in the bumper - these are better for cutting through the dust / fog - mounted lower and the colour of the light doesn't glare so much of the dust or moisture in the air - turn all the white lights off and just run these and the results are really good - but IMO need at least 20" worth of light to work well - hence 2 of them...
JW Speaker LED headlamps - when you've got so much off road lights - you want something good on the street too.
Brabus G-Wagen DRLs and Fog Lights - additional lights for on the street / bad weather.

For the rear - I have a set of Rigid Dually D2s with red clip on covers - serving as a rear fog light and when I remove the cover - a rear flood light.

VERY happy with this set up.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

For the price of that setup, would it have been cheaper to pay some illegals to run in front of the jeep with spot lights?

Kidding of course, setup looks great and I'm sure it works fantastic!
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I recently installed a 14" light bar in front of my winch. I matched the light to the available space I had, so to speak. This is my first CREE LED light solution and I am impressed to say the least. It has two spots and 4 floods in the housing. Amazing amount of light for such a small amount of current. LEDs rule!

Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drandersoninc View Post
For the price of that setup, would it have been cheaper to pay some illegals to run in front of the jeep with spot lights?

Kidding of course, setup looks great and I'm sure it works fantastic!
Would need a lot of illegals and a lot of flash lights to come anywhere close

Plus at 100 km/h through the desert flats they better run fast

The set up has grown gradually so while it is a big total, step by step is not so bad... My point of view is that if you are going to do a lot of night-driving - all the horsepower or suspension travel means nothing if you can't see where you are going. I would rather spend the money on the lights first.

The Jeep was fully dismantled shortly after getting the setup just right though - doing the Brute conversion over the summer. Hoping this winter when it's done to get some really nice night time comparison shots. Hoping to throw the GoPro up on the RC helicopter and get an overhead view of the light from my rig beside one that's still got stock headlights and no aux lights turned on
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Drool.. I need to start by replacing my OEM headlights. Without doing that, adding all the LED's in the world seems like a waste.

But I sure do need some new lights!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am installing truck lite led headlights. I have a set of dually 2x2 lights that already by themselves are pretty impressive!

The truck lite LEDs, 2x2 lights on the lower windshield hinge and possibly another 20-30 inch led bar will be my final addition. A 50 inch led bar plus the mounts would be ideal but 500 for lights is a bit much.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
Drool.. I need to start by replacing my OEM headlights. Without doing that, adding all the LED's in the world seems like a waste.

But I sure do need some new lights!
I'm still running my stock headlights. My new LEDs were intended for off-road use. I don't think that adding them was a waste.
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
I'm still running my stock headlights. My new LEDs were intended for off-road use. I don't think that adding them was a waste.
I guess I should have worded that differently. I need to upgrade my lighting not only for off road, but for on road driving as well in bad weather and on dark country roads.

I just feel like I *need* to upgrade my stock headlights first, and start from the ground up.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
I guess I should have worded that differently.
Not a problem. The way I see it, if you are upgrading something and then later having to redo the same upgrade, that is wasteful. Picking and choosing what gets upgraded, based on budget and need....nothing wrong with that method for sure.
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
I'm still running my stock headlights.
I am as well, but I will say that it is a night and day difference when the LEDs go on. It is a brilliant white light compared to the low lumen yellowish of the stock headlights. I can imagine swapping the OEM headlamps would be a very noticeable upgrade if not only in light clarity but output as well.

I'm just afraid if I go that route and swap the headlamps for LEDs, I'll want to match up the tails, and then I might as well put rock lights on, then a roof rack with a zombie light kit and then.....
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drandersoninc View Post
I'm just afraid if I go that route and swap the headlamps for LEDs, I'll want to match up the tails, and then I might as well put rock lights on, then a roof rack with a zombie light kit and then.....
and then... yep... that's pretty much how I got in this situation.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.