light issues with my 03 Rubicon??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > light issues with my 03 Rubicon???

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
jbush
2003 TJ Wrangler 

light issues with my 03 Rubicon???

I have an 03 Rubicon that I just recently purchased and I have a few questions. When turning on the headlights the first click is running lights, ac control lights, aux switch lights and radio, most interior lights. The second click is everything mentioned before and the headlights. So heres the deal if I turn straight to headlights there is about a 4-5sec + delay (sometimes longer) before the interior dash lights come on. If I go to the first click all interior stuff lights up and stays on then take the switch to headlights and the interior lights stay on. If I go straight to headligts the other lights take awhile to come on or I cycle the switch to get them on. Is there supposed to be this delay. If not any ideas on the problem and fix?

jbush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about it myself,but it's probably just the headlight switch (if anything).
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The delay is not normal and may indicate a defective headlight switch. I personally believe in fixing such problems before they totally fail, since the lack of headlights would render the Jeep undriveable at night.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
jbush
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, has anyone else had any trouble with this multi function light switch?
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbush View Post
Thanks guys, has anyone else had any trouble with this multi function light switch?
Multi-function switches going bad is a common problem. Approx. $50-75 and IIRC 4 screws and 15 minutes to fix.
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've had 3 go bad on different Jeeps.Writeup here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...7/#post6129430
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
jbush
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So the consensus is busted multi function light switch, is there any way to verify this other than just replacing parts and hoping the problem goes away?
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So the consensus is busted multi function light switch, is there any way to verify this other than just replacing parts and hoping the problem goes away?
I'd go that route. You're due for one anyway.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
flys_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

multi function switch for $50 to $75 dollars? where is IIRC? in seattle, they are $285. out the door..
flys_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC = If I Recall/Remember Correctly.

This is for the OP's model year - rockauto have the switches from $42 (without foglights) / $57 (with foglights) plus shipping. And there's a 5% discount linked in my sig...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4472

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.