Lifting my TJ....Gotta Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifting my TJ....Gotta Question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Piercedfister
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lifting my TJ....Gotta Question

I wanna new lift.....if i use the 4" Series II Suspension Kit from Rough Country. Will i need a new drive shaft?

Piercedfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
snakester14

I have the series 2 and I needed a SYE and cv driveshaft. I would not recomend getting this lift without a SYE and cv driveshaft b/c even with the tc drop that comes with the kit most 4inch lift systems need a sye and cv driveshaft b/c of the vibrations.
snakester14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does your current drive shaft have a SYE?

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Piercedfister
2003 TJ Wrangler 

no it does not.....what would it cost to get it and have it put on?
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
lj_wil
ekorb mi

2006 LJ Wrangler 

About $500, some busted knuckles, X-Large pizza and about 12 beers.

Thats for the SYE and the CV driveshaft.

Some pics
lj_wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Chipper004
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes you will need it. I have a 3.5 RE lift and drove around for about a year w/o the SYE kit and a longer drive shaft. The torque from the I6 will make a bit of a shake between 0-10 mph. Nothing much to worry about if you want to mess up your tranny. I got lucky, I did have a 1" Tranny drop. But just recently got rid of it and gained an inch of clearance. Tranny is fine for now.

I'd suggest to save some money, if you can remove the drive shaft and take it to some steel/fab place and ask them if they'd do work on your drive shaft and add 3-4 inches to it. I'd ask the pro's and see what the exact measurement is. My drive shaft was 11" and i needed an additional 3 - 4 inches. Had a custom one made, and cost me a good chunk of change. Probalby would have saved around 250 bucks to take my stock one there and have someone lenghten it for me. Also ask around some local jeep/4x4 forums in your area, there are plenty of guys out there that do their own work or work at a shop that can hook ya up.

Hope this helps
Chipper004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Piercedfister
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanx Guys.....
Unread 10-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
CrzyWhtBy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 4" with no SYE ...while it is on my agenda. My tj runs with out vibes...I have done some pretty heavy trails as well and everything is holding up fine. The drop kit for the tc is essential.
CrzyWhtBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyWhtBy
I have the 4" with no SYE ...while it is on my agenda. My tj runs with out vibes...I have done some pretty heavy trails as well and everything is holding up fine. The drop kit for the tc is essential.
It's essential to do it the correct way. You are giving up clearence, thus reducing the performance of your vehicle. And about the 4" and no vibes, as soon as you'll get a SYE/Double Cardan shaft you will realize what no driveline vibration really means.
However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.