Lifter tap and rod knock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifter tap and rod knock

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lifter tap and rod knock

After reading some posts on rod knock and listening to some videos I'm almost positive I have a rod knock and I know for a fact I have a bad lifter. And I just went to change my oil after only 2500 miles and found out that I burned 2.5 quarts. What does everyone suggest to do at this point? Rebuild, replace, swap, or just let it go for now?

DirtRider1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's hard to imagine that you burned 2.5 quarts in 2500 miles and never noticed and smoking. And I'm sure you would have noticed a leak. I know that's not a lot of help, just an observation.

It's not that hard to drop the oil pan and see if you ahve any rods that are sloppy on the crank.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's what gets me, no smoking and no dripping or oil on my block. The only thing I've noticed in the past week was a slight oil smell on the highway everyone in a while which is the reason I decided to check/ change my oil before 3000 miles
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Have you pulled the plugs and checked for oil contamination on any of them? You should see something by looking at the plugs if you are comsuming / burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. If you do have a rod knock you won't be burning oil too much longer before things go south. If it has been noisy for a while it's most likley valve train related. I hope it's nothing too serious.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.