Lifted TJ popping out of gear in 2nd and reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifted TJ popping out of gear in 2nd and reverse

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
jeepcop496
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lifted TJ popping out of gear in 2nd and reverse

I am having popping out of gear issues after installing a 4" suspension left. I know this has been addressed before but I have pulled my console off and there is no contact between the gear shift lever and the body to cause it to pop out of gear. I removed the inner boot which seemed to help till I put the console back on and it started again. So I am guessing it is the outer boot, and now, of course, I have to replace the inner boot. So has the moving back of the console helped with the boot problem? Eventually I am going to get my driveshafts lengthened and take the transfer case drop off anyway. But, has anyone reoved the transfer case drop on an 03 Rubicon and what happened? Any negative effects?

jeepcop496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcop496 View Post
I am having popping out of gear issues after installing a 4" suspension left. I know this has been addressed before but I have pulled my console off and there is no contact between the gear shift lever and the body to cause it to pop out of gear. I removed the inner boot which seemed to help till I put the console back on and it started again. So I am guessing it is the outer boot, and now, of course, I have to replace the inner boot. So has the moving back of the console helped with the boot problem? Eventually I am going to get my driveshafts lengthened and take the transfer case drop off anyway. But, has anyone reoved the transfer case drop on an 03 Rubicon and what happened? Any negative effects?
I replaced my shift boot with a leather boot but mine originally had the hard rubber boot. I can't remember which year they switched to the leather style. Which do you have on your shifter?

You shouldn't have to lengthen your driveshafts. You can buy a double cardan rear driveshaft and upper adjustable control arms to adjust your rear pinion and remove the transfer case drop.

I don't have a rubi but i'm pretty sure you already have a fixed rear output on your transfer case which would keep you from having to buy a sye kit.

Last edited by mschviuz; 08-31-2010 at 02:03 PM..
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
dm0ney
1999 TJ Wrangler 

After putting on a 2.5" lift with a BL/MML, my shifter was hitting the plastic frame on the rubber boot on the console, popping me out of 2nd.

I have the stock plastic console, so I just drilled a new set of holes 3/8" forward of the existing holes, in order to shift the entire console backwards. That fixed it for me.

If you say you don't have a problem without the console in place, then hopefully a similar solution would work for you.
dm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
njmjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Double cardigan....lol, I'm without a t-case drop on my rubi with 4" springs and no vibes.
njmjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
longbluerubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I installed a 1" BL and a 2"BB and it would pop out of reverse b/c mine was also hitting the hard plastic on the console, so I drilled new holes to move the console back about an inch and no problems since.
1" BL, JKS adj front & rear trackbars, JKS discos
33" BFG A/T
longbluerubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmjeep View Post
Double cardan....lol, I'm without a t-case drop on my rubi with 4" springs and no vibes.
fixed the spelling.....thanks. I was missing my good ole English teacher. How have you been?
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
03TJJeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. Installed a short throw shifter with my 1" body lift. Been fine since. Maybe a fake leather boot like the ones in the newer tj's would help.
03TJJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
njmjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You mean replaced with the correct word, a cardigan is clothing....
njmjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Muggsie
2002 WJ 

I had the same problem with my 04 after a lift it would pop out of 2nd, 4th, and reverse. I bought a pleather boot from Auto Zone for $10 and replaced the original rubber one and now no more problems.

Muggsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
jeepcop496
2003 TJ Wrangler 

cool I will give that a shot, rugged ridge just sent me a collar kinda thing too...it looks like it will slide over the shaft out of the transmission and move the regular shifter up about 3 inches...sould help too
jeepcop496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
360jeepboy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not to bring back a dead thread but I just bought a 04 rubicon with a body lift and motor mount lift. I had the same issues. Not fully going into reverse and popping out. 2nd and 4th gear never really felt like they fully engaged. I just got done pulling the center consol back 1 inch and all my problems are solved.

So if anyone is having this problem just try it.
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.