Lifted a Rubicon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifted a Rubicon?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
bigusdadius

Lifted a Rubicon?

Has anyone lifted a Rubicon? I would like to hear what kit you went with and why.

I am planning on installing the Rubicon Express RE7000 4.5" Super-Flex Kit with a Tom Woods Rubicon CV and a set of Goodyear MT/Rs 305x70 R16. This is where I have a couple questions...

Do I need to replace both shafts?
To avoid lowering my T-case, will I need to lift my engine?
Am I missing anything?

Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Unread 11-02-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of people have lifted Rubicons. The best way to clear those tires is the DPG "Deluxe TJ Kit" found here:

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/New_Folder3/OMEjeepprice.htm

...because it has about an inch less lift than the kit you want to use, doesn't require any new driveshafts, and rides better than stock, whereas the kit you want to use has more lift than required for those tires (dangerous) and rides very stiff.

Many run either 285/75R16 or 305/70R16 MT/R's with the above kit on Rubicons, both sizes are 33" diameter. The only difference is the 305's require another washer under the steering stops to prevent rubbing, and this causes the turning radius to be greater. If you don't care for this, you can spend another $500 on two pairs of 1.25" wheel spacers plus some Xenon fender flares.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2003, 07:06 AM   #3
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Those tires will look a little small with that lift. You might consider the the 3.5 superflex. Here's my jeep with the 4.5 and 35's, before the body lift.
Unread 11-03-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
bigusdadius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
Those tires will look a little small with that lift. You might consider the the 3.5 superflex. Here's my jeep with the 4.5 and 35's, before the body lift.
I was just showing my friend this picture! There are two reasons why I picked the 4.5...first I was worried about room for flex and second I can't afford to get 15 inch rims and tires now...maybe the 315/75 R16s?
Unread 11-03-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

To run 33in or bigger tires on those rims you'll need spacers to keep from rubbing when you turn, especially if you go with the wider tires. And those spacers are more expensive than the wheels I got. It worked for me since I just wanted cheap wheels anyway.
Unread 11-04-2003, 07:59 AM   #6
bigusdadius

Quote:
To run 33in or bigger tires on those rims you'll need spacers to keep from rubbing when you turn, especially if you go with the wider tires. And those spacers are more expensive than the wheels I got. It worked for me since I just wanted cheap wheels anyway.
Quote:
Many run either 285/75R16 or 305/70R16 MT/R's with the above kit on Rubicons, both sizes are 33" diameter. The only difference is the 305's require another washer under the steering stops to prevent rubbing, and this causes the turning radius to be greater. If you don't care for this, you can spend another $500 on two pairs of 1.25" wheel spacers plus some Xenon fender flares.
So, are you saying if I choose to run my current rims with tires larger than 33" I have to buy two pairs of 1.25" wheel spacers?
If so, I may consider spending the money on differnet rims and tires...but I really like the look of the stock rims...damn.
Unread 11-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #7
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigusdadius
So, are you saying if I choose to run my current rims with tires larger than 33" I have to buy two pairs of 1.25" wheel spacers?
If so, I may consider spending the money on differnet rims and tires...but I really like the look of the stock rims...damn.
Sorry man, but that's the case. I really liked the stock wheels too, but I just sold mine. I couldn't really use them without spacers and thought i'd rather spend the money else where. Bright side is you can get a decent price for the stock wheels.
Unread 11-04-2003, 06:46 PM   #8
bigusdadius

Quote:
Sorry man, but that's the case. I really liked the stock wheels too, but I just sold mine. I couldn't really use them without spacers and thought i'd rather spend the money else where. Bright side is you can get a decent price for the stock wheels.
Thanks for the advice.
Unread 11-04-2003, 08:28 PM   #9
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigusdadius
Make a deliberate choice, you could go either way. I intend to keep my Rubicon rims as well - I like 'em too.

It's true you could buy some cheap steel wheels for what the two pairs of spacers cost. ($125/pair at 4x4GroupBuy.com) If you can sell the MT/R tires and Moab wheels new, you can then get some decent forged wheels. But this means you need everything - lift, driveshafts, tires, gears, and wheels all at once - $$$$.

The real deal with spacers - or with new wheels with less backspacing - is how WIDE do you want to go, not how tall. Then think about if you need the small turning radius offroad (a stock Rubicon will turn tight enough to embarass a Honda or other small car).

My choice is the 305's and wheel spacers and flares. My Rubicon is a daily driver and I'm fond of really long trails like the Dusy, so I'm not willing to stress the Dana 44's with larger diameter tires and break up to 20 miles from help. Nor am I willing to lift it almost 4" without going about the same amount wider for road handling and to maintain the turning radius.

The other price plateau to think about is that above 33" in diameter you need new axle gears and a longarm lift. That's a significant chunk of cash and you are likely to have more hassles with warranty service than with more moderately-sized tires. If you've never owned a Jeep locked fore-and-aft with a 4:1 low range, then larger tires probably represent more than they are worth to you - unless you just like the way they look. Me, I care about if the Jeep gets me where I want to go and back again, and to work without breaking.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ

Last edited by KaiserJeep; 11-04-2003 at 08:44 PM..
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2003, 06:02 AM   #10
DarkRubiTJ

I'm running a 4" Skyjacker lift with 33x12.50 Xterrains on 15x12 Weld Classics. I,too, wanted to keep my Moabs but went with the Welds because they are forged and I wanted a wider track. I have no rubbing problems and street stability is top notch. I'm running stock gearing (4:11) and have no problems with acceleration or offraod performance. It's a good setup and I'm pleased.
DarkRubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2003, 04:30 PM   #11
bigusdadius

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, it helps quite a bit.

I would like to stick with the Moabs and go with the MTR 305's. Here lies the issue...I am receiving conflicting information. I have a guy on another forum telling me he has the RE 4.5 with the 305s and no spacers, he goes on to state he has no rub on or off road. I definately want to retain the turning radius so I have a lot of research to do before I start ordering parts.

I am not prepared yet to go with a long arm kit...maybe in about 5 years when it's an off-road rig only and not my daily driver.

Thanks again for the info.
Unread 11-05-2003, 09:08 PM   #12
Uhdinator

I went with 2.5" OME HD springs and shocks with stock rims and 255/85-16's. Tires are about 32.5" tall and did not use a TCase drop or have any vibes. Consider 33x10 and you should be okay with stock rims. I have no body lift either. OME HD will give you more than 2". The LT or MED duty springs will only give you about 2". I have a hard top and Auto and the ride is not any worse than stock. Going with 255/85 is also load range D vice stiffer E rating of the stock MTRs. This softens the ride a hair too. E rating tires are usually used on bigger trucks due to heavy load capacity of big trucks which are overkill for a light jeep and contribute to the stiffer ride.
Auto, Cruise, AC, CD
Dual Tops, Garmin GPS
Who needs discos when ya got lockers
Uhdinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.