Lift vs. Wheel Spacers Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift vs. Wheel Spacers Question

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
OurTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lift vs. Wheel Spacers Question

My sons and I are starting a 97 TJ project. It is 100% stock, low-ish miles, and has some rust issues. We will do the interior in Herculiner, paint the exterior, and de-rust the underside.

The stock steelies on it are very heavily rusted and the tires are worn-out. So, I bought some larger (not huge) TJ stock alloy wheels and tires from craigslist. At the max turn limits, the new wheels rub the suspension on the front. I probably should have done some backspacing research but didn't. I'll solve this with either a lift or spacers.

Every fastner/bolt on this thing has been a real challenge despite PB blaster, elbow grease and a torch. While fun and good learning for the boys, 10 minute projects turn into hour long battles. I am considering not doing a lift as we are not going off road with it.

Will 1.5" wheel spacers change regular road driving handling?
Am I being overly concerned about rust issues with doing a suspension lift?
We are looking at a 3 inch lift with a transfercase drop. We have the tools and capabilities to do it if it was not rusted.

Thanks for the advice.

OurTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

how big are the tires? what rims? You may be able to add a washer to your steering stops and solve the problem in ten minutes

I feel your pain with the rust and frozen bolts. its just something to work through. soak in PB blaster everyday for a week before a project. and a torch is a great way to loosen up bolts
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It should handle better with wheel spacers because of the wider stance.If it only rubs at full turn,you can add a couple washers to the steering stops instead of buying spacers.I just put some RC spacers on my XJ and had them on my 03' TJ.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/...teerstop-1.htm
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
OurTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ironhead,
The tires are 31x10.5 R15s. So not that big vs. the 215 75 R15s I took off.

I like the ten minute solution on the steering stops since it is just barely touching, I'll look into that.

And just since we are new at this, by torch I mean my little propane torch. When guys say put a torch to it, are they talking about something else?
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
OurTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Boogieman,
Thanks for the link. Will just regular old hardware store washers be fine or is there some special type?
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurTJ View Post
Boogieman,
Thanks for the link. Will just regular old hardware store washers be fine or is there some special type?
Plain old washers.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yep, the standard blue propane torch. doesnt get too hot to do a lot of damage, but hot enough to loosen up frozen bolts and soften up thread locker in the few places the factory put it
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lifts , rust , spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.