Lift vs Tow Capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift vs Tow Capacity

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lift vs Tow Capacity

So here is my scenario, I own a 2003 TJ Sahara with a 4.5" RE Lift with 3.5 in springs. I installed the SYE and Tom Woods Driveshaft. 33x10.50 BFG AT Tires. I want a BOAT! I would prefer a large boat however I will settle for a small boat for a few years until I get a truck or another suitable tow vehicle. I have read all of the posts regarding towing with the swb wrangler and I am aware of the 2000lb factory towing limit.

Assuming I drive safely would it be irresponsible to tow a 1600lb package (boat,motor and trailer)? (16 to 17ft Carolina Skiff )with my two young boys in the Jeep? Considering the fact that I have lifted the Jeep (CG higher) and increased the tire diameter (reduced effective braking force)

For this adventure I may or may not be on a highway (V<=55 stay alive).............

Unread 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would do it if the boat trailer has brakes. If it doesnt have brakes yu can add them for bout $500 if yu install. Good luck
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle1 View Post
I would do it if the boat trailer has brakes. If it doesnt have brakes yu can add them for bout $500 if yu install. Good luck

I have considered this, are you talking about the type where the brakes engage mechanically or the electric type?
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would recommend a brake upgrade, if you plan to make boat towing a frequent event. Go with Vanco. By all sources, it seems to be the best out there. I hope to go with the 16" kit one day.

(I've hauled numerous boats with 3 different TJs. Braking was the prickly part. The rest is surmountable.)
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the input guys. I'll look into the trailer brakes and I think I'll do it!
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172heavy View Post
I have considered this, are you talking about the type where the brakes engage mechanically or the electric type?
You seldom or never see boat trailers with electric brakes. I assume it is because the electric brakes would not like the frequent submersions. I think on every boat trailer I have ever seen with brakes, the brakes were hydraulic surge brakes.

But I think surge brakes would be a big help over no brakes at all.

A 1600 lb package would most likely not have brakes, at least not stock. They would probably have to be added, either by you or a trailer shop.
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

upgrade the brakes & be smart.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
j-nut
1998 TJ Wrangler 

are you regeared? cause if not, your jeep will be hating life towing with stock gearing on 33's. like everybody said, go with trailer brakes, if you have to install them or it already has it. they make the world of difference.
j-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the record, I was/am recommending upgrading the brakes on the Jeep. Not the boat (necessarily).

Upgrading the Jeep brakes will help all the time, not just when you are towing.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
You seldom or never see boat trailers with electric brakes. I assume it is because the electric brakes would not like the frequent submersions. I think on every boat trailer I have ever seen with brakes, the brakes were hydraulic surge brakes.

But I think surge brakes would be a big help over no brakes at all.

A 1600 lb package would most likely not have brakes, at least not stock. They would probably have to be added, either by you or a trailer shop.
good point, i feel like a retard! thank you
Unread 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post
For the record, I was/am recommending upgrading the brakes on the Jeep. Not the boat (necessarily).

Upgrading the Jeep brakes will help all the time, not just when you are towing.
I figured that out when I went to the Vanco website, I considered this after I lifted it the only thing i noticed was after I lifted it was I had to rely more on down shifting (like I was taught) for slowing down as opposed to the clutch and brake method other wise the brakes would get super hot and it would start to pull!

thanks again for the suggestions
Unread 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-nut View Post
are you regeared? cause if not, your jeep will be hating life towing with stock gearing on 33's. like everybody said, go with trailer brakes, if you have to install them or it already has it. they make the world of difference.
no i am not, i think i am gonna see how it does, i didnt really want to regear that is why i never went to 35's i didnt want to open the re-gear/new axles can of worms just yet, if i have to i will. So far my jeep does pretty good with the 33's and 3.73 gears, luckily i have the Dana44 so when i decide to upgrade at least i wont be upgrading the 35........
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get trailer brakes for sure. I've towed over the 2k mark with a similar set up (I know I know, it was only a couple times on back roads mostly, don't flame me) and it wasn't fun. What about getting the large boat you want and picking up a beater pick up truck to tow it with for like ~$1k? Just throwin it out there
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow , towing , boat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.