Lift/Tire questions...opinions needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift/Tire questions...opinions needed

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Full_Rut95
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lift/Tire questions...opinions needed

OK, I sold my YJ a little while back and went back to full size trucks. After having a new Z71 with a little lift, I sold that and bought an F-250. After putting 20" of lift on that and running 49's on it for a while, I sold it and bought another Jeep. So I bought a 99 TJ with only 63k miles on it for a pretty decent price. It's in excellent shape, but is still sitting stock and I can't roll like that much longer. I'm looking for opinions on lift and tire preferences.

I'm looking at the Rough Country 6" X-series suspension and possibly a small BL. I'm wanting to run 35's or something similar in size. Downfall- the TJ is a 4cyl. It's not going to be a rock crawling machine, but more of a daily driver. It'll get enough off-road abuse during hunting season, but it's not gonna be a beater. Any suggestions or opinions, no negative BS, will be appreciated. Thanks!

Full_Rut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Full_Rut95
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Or if anyone has any pictures of their TJ with a similar set up, please post to give me an idea... Thanks!
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-...-my-tj-751873/

change your profile to reflect the TJ for more help in the tJ section
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
bigjermLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think 7" total of lift might be a little to much for 35's. If you are not rock crawling 4" would probably be fine. A lot of people are running 35's on 4-5" of total lift or the LCG guys doing it on 2 - 3". Unless you got some crazy terrain on the hunting land I dont see where you will need the uptravel clearance for that lift size. You will need to regear for sure, I think 4.88 might be the max for the D30 but I am not expert so someone else will chime in with that. I am on 35's with the 4.0 M/T and stock 3.73 gears and around town driving is "ok", highway I cant even think about using 6th gear.
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Full_Rut95
1999 TJ Wrangler 

never monday- thanks for the thread post, that seems to be a pretty good guideline to go by... also, thanks for the reminder of the profile, it's now updated.

As far as the terrain I'll be driving on, it actually depends on the weather. The hunting club I'm on is in Alabama and the terrain throughout the season is dictated by the weather. It's mainly clay roads with some serious wash outs as well as steep inclines/declines on trails. I do plan on re-gearing once the lift and tires are on and once I make the judgement of it's use.

But as far as everyday use, the Jeep mainly stays parked. My DD is a 2010 Crown Vic with some fancy lights and sirens...haha! So the "practical" aspect doesn't really have to be too practical.
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
rhbickham
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Rut95 View Post
never monday- thanks for the thread post, that seems to be a pretty good guideline to go by... also, thanks for the reminder of the profile, it's now updated.

As far as the terrain I'll be driving on, it actually depends on the weather. The hunting club I'm on is in Alabama and the terrain throughout the season is dictated by the weather. It's mainly clay roads with some serious wash outs as well as steep inclines/declines on trails. I do plan on re-gearing once the lift and tires are on and once I make the judgement of it's use.

But as far as everyday use, the Jeep mainly stays parked. My DD is a 2010 Crown Vic with some fancy lights and sirens...haha! So the "practical" aspect doesn't really have to be too practical.
How did you get away with 20" of lift and 49`s on a F-250? Thats not illegal in Florida?
rhbickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Full_Rut95
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No, they make up to a 63" DOT tire, but your truck would look too stupid sitting up that high because you'd have to re-adjust your headlights and taillights. The bumper height was fine, but my headlights were too high, but I never changed them and I got away with it just fine. They don't raise to much stink about it in Florida.
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Full_Rut95
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a TJ with the 6" RC X-series lift? If so, post a picture on here.. and how do you like the RC lifts??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.