JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Lift, tire, bumpstop, and other questions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lift-tire-bumpstop-other-questions-1759058/)

Tylerl217 11-04-2013 08:59 PM

Lift, tire, bumpstop, and other questions

His is my first jeep and really first time working on cars. I am putting a 2.5 inch rc lift. And I have 33/12.50 tires coming in. Will I be able to run that with just driving 2 miles to work and back until I can put a 1 in bl on it? Will that work? And I plan on replacing the rc shocks with some bilsteins late on. Will I have to do a transfer case drop and or a mml? Like I said I'm new and any and all help would be appreciated. My off-roading will be pretty easy going with just some mudding/trail riding no rocks. I have an 03 tj.

_KONG_ 11-04-2013 09:42 PM

Yes. I would do the mml and body lift at the same time you do the lift

Tylerl217 11-04-2013 10:34 PM

I can't do those this weekend that's why I was asking if I could do those later

thedaringmove 11-05-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerl217
I can't do those this weekend that's why I was asking if I could do those later

You will probably be okay to lift it and not put a mml in right away. You may get slight vibes. You will definitely need to address the driveline angle though sooner than later. And like everyone else, i recommend a MML first, and then you cant drop the transfercase with washers if needed.

If you are getting some unbearable vibes when you first install the lift just use stacks of washers to lower your transfer case skid far enough so the vibes go away. Then you can drive until you get a MML installed. But DONT leave it with just the washers long term.

As for tire clearance with the 2.5" lift. Youll be fine just dont turn too hard (thats when they will rub)

Tylerl217 11-05-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedaringmove
You will probably be okay to lift it and not put a mml in right away. You may get slight vibes. You will definitely need to address the driveline angle though sooner than later. And like everyone else, i recommend a MML first, and then you cant drop the transfercase with washers if needed. If you are getting some unbearable vibes when you first install the lift just use stacks of washers to lower your transfer case skid far enough so the vibes go away. Then you can drive until you get a MML installed. But DONT leave it with just the washers long term. As for tire clearance with the 2.5" lift. Youll be fine just dont turn too hard (thats when they will rub)

I plan on doing a 1" bl and the mml will anything else need to be done?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

thedaringmove 11-05-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerl217
I plan on doing a 1" bl and the mml will anything else need to be done? Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Its possible. I have just a slight shimmy at 50 mph with my MML and BL and im lifted 2" suspension. You will probably need a few washers (2 or 3 or each of the 6 bolts) to lower the transfercase skid since your doing a 2.5" lift. Then youll be all good. Its really not that much trouble to do this. Itll take you 20 mins max.
Google diy transfercase drop jeep tj or something. Theres a website called 4x4explorer or something like that (always forget the name) with a write up if you need it.

tyvanwie 11-05-2013 06:34 AM

I'd do it the other way around. Body lift and motor mount lift first, then do the suspension and tires later. If you don't have a big jack, you should really do the body lift first anyway.

-jb- 11-05-2013 07:01 AM

You can run the 2.5 lift with no problems. Will clear your 33's and you'll have no vibes. I ran a 2in lift on 33's for awhile when I first got my Jeep

You can do the bodylift later on. It's easy to do.

Tylerl217 11-05-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -jb-
You can run the 2.5 lift with no problems. Will clear your 33's and you'll have no vibes. I ran a 2in lift on 33's for awhile when I first got my Jeep You can do the bodylift later on. It's easy to do.

Thank you jb

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

The time now is 01:55 AM.