Lift Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Suggestions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
crazyjz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lift Suggestions

I have a 97 TJ 4.0L and want to get a 2-3" lift so I can fit either 32-33's What should I get? I would prefer to avoid body lifts, also I am not made of money, but I also am not looking for the cheapest solution either.

crazyjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on your wheeling. Why avoid a bodylift?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
crazyjz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking rocky trails and light mud and occasionally some sand from time to time. I want to avoid body lift because 1) that's something that I do not have the resources knowledge or experience to do my self. 2) I don't want to cause extra stress on my frame since it is already 15 years old with 175k miles on it.
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=21&gr=-1
ItsJustD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2" BB and some 31" tires seems like it would work for you better.

Unread 12-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
crazyjz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome!!! Thanks for your input, any suggestion/preference on a brand of BB? I seem to hear about rubicon express and sky jacker a lot.
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

WHat exactly is your MAXIMUM BUDGET for doing this lift?
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the lift pucks are the same its the shocks that matter. Also i would suggest saving a little more and going with a actual spring lift.
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
BlueDevilBrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you really need a lift? Why not put your money towards skids/winch/bumpers?
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjz View Post
I'm thinking rocky trails and light mud and occasionally some sand from time to time. I want to avoid body lift because 1) that's something that I do not have the resources knowledge or experience to do my self. 2) I don't want to cause extra stress on my frame since it is already 15 years old with 175k miles on it.
There are 11 bolts that hold the body to the frame. A body lift is easy and can be done in your driveway using a socket set and a floor Jack. It's simple, loosen all of the bolts. Remove the bolts from the side you plan to start on and the front. Jack that side up, insert the 1" lift blocks and the longer grill stop. Now replace the bolts and repeat the process for the other side. A 1" body lift won't add enough stress to even be of a little concern.

I have a 1" daystar in a tj with 215k miles on the body and frame. I also have a magnum 5.9L v8 with a heavy 46re transmission. Trust me your jeep wouldn't even know it was there!
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you're on a budget, do the 2" BB and spend you're money on quality shocks as well as tires. I'd look into Old Man Emu, Bilstein and Rancho for mildy priced shocks that work really well for most Jeepers. Tire wise, the Falken Wildpeak seems like it would suit you well. What are future plans?

Unread 12-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
crazyjz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17
If you're on a budget, do the 2" BB and spend you're money on quality shocks as well as tires. I'd look into Old Man Emu, Bilstein and Rancho for mildy priced shocks that work really well for most Jeepers. Tire wise, the Falken Wildpeak seems like it would suit you well. What are future plans?

Well I'm not so much on a budget... I don't have money to buy the best stuff around, but I don't want to buy crap just because it is cheap... I know that I want the perfect product at the lowest price and that is hard to come by if not impossible. I am more than willing to spent a little extra if it will last longer/ run smoother/ preform better/ etc...
As for the future of me and my jeep, after the lift and tires I want to add new skid plates extra tune up stuff (I don't even know what that may be yet) all the while learning about taking things apart and putting them back, and learning to ride any trail. And riding as many as I can.
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well in that case... do your best to avoid mainstream brands such as Rough Country, Rustys, Skyjacker, etc. If you want to run 33's, I suggext the Savvy/Currie 3" kit with a 1" BL. That should setup you up right for stuff down the road. Might be out of your budget, but is one of the best bolt-on kits around.

Unread 12-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a lift you can build off from and add to as you go then you should piece one together using parts that will suite your needs. You can start with a 1"body lift and 2"spring lift. You can go with the rough country 3.75" kit which is 2.5" springs and a 1.25" body lift. Don't get there shocks though, they are known to yield a very stiff ride. Get a set of Rancho rs9000xl shocks in stead. The rough country 2.5" springs and body lift is all I would suggest buying from them though. you will also need to add bump stop extensions and I would suggest a 1"motor mount lift.

Another on the cheap, but with some parts that could be retained is the zone 4.25" kit with 3" springs and a 1.25" body lift. The kit also comes with an ok shock, longer sway bar links, bump stop extensions, a rear track bar bracket and a case drop. I would suggest adding a 1" motor mount lift and using as little case drop as possible. Better yet would be a sye and dual cardan drive shaft.

Other springs like old man emu, bds and the savvy 3" springs made by Currie are all great springs on the higher end. For shocks bilstein, Fox or the Rancho shocks I mentioned before. later you will want adjustable track bars. Currie and jks are the only two worth buying and in that order. Control arms you will want real johnny joints at both ends so Rokmen, Savvy and Currie are the best you can buy. Then there are sway bars and disconnects. Disconnects allow you to get more articulation out of your front suspension, but at a loss of torsion from the sway bar. This is where a antirock comes in. An antirock is a torsion bar anti sway assembly that doesn't need disconnected to achieve articulation. Antirocks can be used front and rear. Disconnects should only be used in the front.

The fact is if you want to conquer almost any terrain you need more then just a lift. You will need lockers, bumpers, belly armor, rocker armor full corners and a winch. Not to mention steering, axle and brake upgrades as well. It's expensive to try and encompass everything that is needed for a complete build that won't leave you broken .
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

Best bang for your buck would be Zone, which is the sister company of BDS. I chose BDS over Zone because of BDS lifetime no fine print warranty.

Tags
97 , lift advice , new guy , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.