Which Lift should i get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Lift should i get?

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
ggilbert4014
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Which Lift should i get?

Hey I'm new to the forum!
I have an 02 TJ stock everything, i want to lift it ASAP. I am unsure on which lift i should get, i love the look of a 4" lift.
I go off road quite often and go mudding when it rains.
I want a 4" lift kit, but there are so many options out there (long arms, short arms, brands, etc.) and I'm not sure which one to get and what else will i need to get when i get the lift?

And if i were to go with the 2.5" lift whick kit should I get? would i need to get anything else with the with this kit?

Edit: THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER

Last edited by ggilbert4014; 09-14-2013 at 10:49 PM..
ggilbert4014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to Jeep Forum.

How much are you willing to spend? That's going to dictate the amount of lift and quality of components...

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
sunsetclb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert4014 View Post
I have an 02 TJ stock everything, i want to lift it ASAP. I am unsure on which lift i should get, i love the look of a 4" lift.
I want a 4" lift kit, but there are so many options out there (long arms, short arms, brands, etc.) and I'm not sure which one to get and what else will i need to get when i get the lift?

And if i were to go with the 2.5" lift whick kit should I get? would i need to get anything else with the with this kit?

Like me you have a lot of reading to do....
sunsetclb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by necko2529
welcome to jeep forum.

How much are you willing to spend? That's going to dictate the amount of lift and quality of components...
x2

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert4014 View Post

If you are not stuck on 4" a good lesser expensive route is a 2" budget boost and a I inch body lift. This will clear 33s with minimal expense. This, some good tires and some disconnects for your front sway bars can get you allot of places.

If you go more than 2 on your suspension you run the risk of having drive line vibration to deal with. At that point you will need more after marked components and the cost goes up.
Budget is a big deal here.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

What is planned tire size as well? 4" is not needed for 33s, a 2.5" lift with a 1" BL will clear 33s just fine. A 4" lift will require a SYE and CV drive shaft in addition to the lift.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
brandonbell217
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What about control arms? Do u need to upgrade those with the ate as well?
brandonbell217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonbell217 View Post
What about control arms? Do u need to upgrade those with the ate as well?
Depends on how much lift. I have three inch suspension lift. When I first put it on I needed adjustable rears and still had to do a tcase drop. My kit came with front lowers also.

I now have the 3'' plus a tummy tuck and I also need adjustable rear uppers and a SYE but have the regular stock upper still up front.

Not all lifts are the same. Many are advertised as 3" or 4" but when installed different brand lifts very in height.

A 2” budget boost shouldn’t need adjustable arms.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
owen3544

go with an OME 2" kit. Good brand, and not as parts intensive as a 4" will be. With a 4" lift chances are you will want to put 35" tires on it, and that is a long road that will require deep pockets. If you have the money to spend and the time to do it right then I would go with a savvy 4" lift with the antirock option.
2000 2.5L 5 speed, 8.8/HPD30 with chromos and spartan locker, 4.88s, UCF UHC t case skid, full Currie adjustable arms with jj, Currie antirock, Currie steering, 4" RC Springs, 1.5"BL, RE front/rear trac bars, SYE/CV, 35" MTZ's
owen3544 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll add that I went with OME 2.5", 1.25 BL, 1"MML a few months ago from stock running 33s. mine is my daily driver as well. Researched more than I would have ever imagined on this forum before making the decision. Dont regret it one bit.
05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift kit advice , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.