Which Lift RC 4" or Skyjacker 4" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Lift RC 4" or Skyjacker 4"

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckley View Post
anyone know how the Zone lift rides in comparison to the RC?

IMO it kinda rides like my Full Traction. Guy i wheel with runs a zone, It was impressive how it flexed. With all the gear he takes and weight of whole jeep his 4" kit is still right there after 12k. He runs 3/4's up front for winch and bumper. The zone took the place of a **** RC 2.5 that netted maybe 2" and 6k. Its worth the extra for a good kit once, BDS, RK, OME, FT and not in any order, Just kits i have personally seen, Wheeled with and worked on. But if possible up grade your shocks to bilsteins or a good riding set of shocks. If you end up with a cheap kit they will mask it for awhile. Good luck

Unread 07-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I looked at the Zone stuff before I bought my RC. But I could not get past that ignorant looking tribal tattoo "ART" they put all over there ****. It looks like cheap VIP AUTO ZONE Action AISLE BS to me but to each there own I guess.
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #18
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info, its very helpful. If i were to go with the 4.25" combo instead of the 3" suspension lift, would i have to install longer brake lines or anything else like that? Sorry for all the questions but i don't want to screw this up.
JohnW720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #19
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you did, You can always buy front soft lines for a 95' YJ, they are a bit longer stock and direct fit.
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #20
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greta View Post
i would disagree with that. i (and plenty of others) have skyjacker projects that do just fine.

skyjacker makes an affordable and competitive product worth anyones consideration depending on what they are looking for.
Your profile says you have a 2" budget boost? Big difference between that, and the crap that is on my heep. For what this lift costs new, there are many better, more durable, and more flexible options out there. IMHO, when it comes to a TJ, staying far, far, away from anything with Skyjacker on it, is a good thing to do. I used to have a Ranger, with a 4" lift kit on it. That lift was great, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #21
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, its very helpful. If i were to go with the 4.25" combo instead of the 3" suspension lift, would i have to install longer brake lines or anything else like that? Sorry for all the questions but i don't want to screw this up.
I've had my standard Skyjacker 4" for three year now and going for the fourth as a DD and I wheel the heck out of it. It hasen't missed a beat so far.

I have also compared it with an RC 3.25" lift on my friends TJ... The Skyjacker has much more quality build and it is more complete than the RC's.

My advise is to go Skyjacker
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #22
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And by complete, you mean it comes with new fixed lower control arms with poly bushings on both sides? I'd take the RC kit with stock arms over a basic sky jacker kit with poly bushing CA's.

As a few people have said, stay far away from skyjacker. their hydro shocks are good for the price and if you get the flex joint control arms, they cant be too bad. But once you start upgrading the kits they get way over priced (even the basic kits are overpriced) and the last thing you want are CA's with poly bushings.

I'd personally do the zone 3" before I'd do the RC 3.25". I say that because I have the RC 2.5" lift and the shocks are too stiff, are not the correct length in the rear, and the springs will sag over time. I've heard zone is just re-bandaged BDS shocks and springs. Don't know if there is any truth to this though.

If you do in fact have around $700 to spend, I'm not sure my you aren't taking my advise and buying quality components the first go round instead of buying one of these budget kits.... The only people who are going to suggest the RC progressive kit are people who either have one or are in the market for a budget kit....people like who I used to be.
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, you do not need longer brake lines.
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #24
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

RC shocks are not the wrong length. AT least on my lift they were not. I believe that was fixed a while back. And they are not to stiff either.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well you have your opinions, I have mine. Personally I don't think 2.5" of up travel is sufficient. That is with the stupid rubber stops cut off. I ordered my kit after the shock length issue had been addressed. 2.5" may work for some people depending on the type of wheeling but to me I'd like a little more for daily driving. . And personally I think the valving is a bit too stiff for a tj, but then again, thats a matter of opinion.

I'm not trying to bash RC. I would actually recommend their 4" x-flex kit to people. I would just skip the 2.2's and go with something a little softer.
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #26
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Again RC has fixed the shock issue. This is my rc 3.25 lift in the rear. I need 1 to 1.5 inch bump stops to keep the shocks from bottoming out. I have not done it yet but have never bottomed the shocks out on the street or moderate crawling. I have 5 inches of up and I am not sure about down travel but it is satisfactory believe me.

This is the front it has 6 inches of up travel. It does wonderfully on pot holes and woopty doos.

This is not opinion it is fact.

Last edited by Cavitation; 07-08-2010 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: pics
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #27
wl07
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
I've had my standard Skyjacker 4" for three year now and going for the fourth as a DD and I wheel the heck out of it. It hasen't missed a beat so far.

I have also compared it with an RC 3.25" lift on my friends TJ... The Skyjacker has much more quality build and it is more complete than the RC's.

My advise is to go Skyjacker
i highly doubt that the skyjacker quality is better than RC, to each their own i guess.
wl07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How much more complete can you get for 377 bucks shipped? Springs, links, Brackets for rear TB, Shocks TC drop. And it will wheel with any similar priced lift out there.
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #29
YOGI1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

go with the RC stuff you can't beat Jeffery's help and service. On my 06 rubi I have the 4x series with 2.2 shocks. last weekend I just bought A 05 rubi lj for the wife and it has rc's 4" value lift and the 2 rear control arm bushings were bad I called jeffery Tuesday and today 2 new control arms no charge. I also lost a couple bushings on the 4x install but they sent them to me with the same smile and service. I also ordered 4 2.2 shocks to replace the economy hydro's and he hooked me up very well. hope it rides as good as the 06.
YOGI1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
suspension lift , suspension , rc , rough country , 4" , skyjacker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.