Lift questions...need some answers please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift questions...need some answers please

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
brandonbell217
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lift questions...need some answers please

Just bought a stock 97 tj and want to put a lift on it..not quite sure what the difference is between a LA and a SA lift? Can someone please help me? Don't have much money and want to do it cheap but right...thank you for all the advise

brandonbell217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonbell217
Just bought a stock 97 tj and want to put a lift on it..not quite sure what the difference is between a LA and a SA lift? Can someone please help me? Don't have much money and want to do it cheap but right...thank you for all the advise
If you don't have a couple thousand for a good long arm kit don't even bother going that route.
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try searching, there is a ton of info to be found. Don't rush into a lift either, research as much as possible.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just bought a stock 97 tj and... want to do it... right...thank you for all the advise
Read the stickies for a few days, fill in your profile completely, lurk a bunch, and spend money only when you know where and why.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Read the stickies for a few days, fill in your profile completely, lurk a bunch, and spend money only when you know where and why.
I would recommend researching for a few months, ask questions durring that time on what you think you want and can afford... IMO
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
shayneox
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thats what i did for 3 months....lurk , read , read , read ,read dont base your decisions on what one or two people say...go with the majority , call the shops , watch videos on you tube , know what you want the jeep to do and dont be influenced by height envy....it can be costly. Money an issue , look into BDS , rough country , zone...money not an issue , Currie , Savvy...
Make it strong , rugged , reliable...

Esta.
shayneox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayneox
Thats what i did for 3 months....lurk , read , read , read ,read dont base your decisions on what one or two people say...go with the majority , call the shops , watch videos on you tube , know what you want the jeep to do and dont be influenced by height envy....it can be costly. Money an issue , look into BDS , rough country , zone...money not an issue , Currie , Savvy...
Make it strong , rugged , reliable...

Esta.
I just finished installing a lift that I'm pretty unhappy with. Like you I was trying to go the cheap route. I bought the standard "complete" 4in kit in addition I bought a jks front track bar so I could get rid of the drop pitman arm, which later turned out to be the only smart purchase of my lift. It drives great with no vibes, but now I want to get rid of that dreadful t case skid drop and the sketchy linkage bracket drop.

So now I'm looking at an sye and after research I'm going to have to throw half of my brand new lift right in the trash can.

Next on the list will either be an anti-rock or discos so ill be throwing the rest of the lift out.

The only part of my new complete lift that will remain on my Jeep are the springs and shocks but my kit came with bilsteins so I guess its not a total loss ( that's how I sleep at night).

Long story short, by me trying to save money on the lift its actually going to cost me alot more later. If I could do it all over again I would of pieced it together over time.
sethhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhawk1 View Post
I bought a jks front track bar so I could get rid of the drop pitman arm
What do these have to do with each other?
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

What do these have to do with each other?
I was told on this forum to lose the track bar drop mount and just get an adjustable track bar which would allow to not only run with out the drop bracket bit also the drop pitman arm
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhawk1

I was told on this forum to lose the track bar drop mount and just get an adjustable track bar which would allow to not only run with out the drop bracket bit also the drop pitman arm
That's correct. There was no mention of the drop TB mount in your previous post which made for confusion.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
brandonbell217
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at the skyjacker 4" lift and can get it for like 600 or a long arm for 1200 and I'm just looking for a basic lift that I can fit 33 or 35 with a body lift
brandonbell217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've been looking at the skyjacker 4" lift and can get it for like 600 or a long arm for 1200 and I'm just looking for a basic lift that I can fit 33 or 35 with a body lift
Take it from my experience and just slowly piece together a good lift. You will eventually be unhappy with your lift.
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhawk1

Take it from my experience and just slowly piece together a good lift. You will eventually be unhappy with your lift.
Search skyjacker. You'll quickly realize they should be named skycrapper.

Go look at the zone 4.25" combo lift. It's like 500$ and a great starter lift.
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
kennisondan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

pecing a good lift together over time...how, what order ?

what are the things that have to be bought together ? installed at the same time?
what would be bad to get without the other peices ?
what can I get to put on it first ? it is hard to save money i do better spending it as I get it a few hundred or six hundred at a time if possible.
thank you all
dk
kennisondan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennisondan
what are the things that have to be bought together ? installed at the same time?
what would be bad to get without the other peices ?
what can I get to put on it first ? it is hard to save money i do better spending it as I get it a few hundred or six hundred at a time if possible.
thank you all
dk

You can buy a rear set of control arms for 500.

Then you can buy a set for front for another 500.

Springs and shocks 500.

Front adjustable track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket and t case drop and quick discos 700.

You can install all of that and then worry about sye a gears when your cash flow catches up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.