lift questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift questions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
RainingThunder6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

lift questions

im looking at an OME 2.5" lift. what other things would i need? it comes with a t-case drop. but anything else i need? any help is awesome

RainingThunder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Katch
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing else needed with the OME; however, consider what I did with my '02 Sport.

Instead of the t-case drop, I added a 1" motor mount and body lift. That will angle the drive shaft slightly alleviating the need for the t-case drop. Also, you won't have to relocate the radiator/fan as with body lifts alone, since the motor mount lift is installed-not to mention the extra inch of lift. I've probably put 40-50k miles on it since the install. Not a single issue.

BTW: Since I totaled my '02 a little over a year ago, I bought an '05 Rubicon. I plan to do that same setup. If I can motivate myself tomorrow, I'll install the motor mount/body lift. In a few weeks, I'll pick up the OME lift.

Steve
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

it doesn't come with cam bolts to correct caster, which you might want depending what your caster is now and ends up being after the lift. it also doesn't come with a front track bar or front bumpstops. you can redrill the front track bar mount, but make sure you weld a reinforcement plate over the existing stock bracket first.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Katch
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
it doesn't come with cam bolts to correct caster, which you might want depending what your caster is now and ends up being after the lift. it also doesn't come with a front track bar or front bumpstops. you can redrill the front track bar mount, but make sure you weld a reinforcement plate over the existing stock bracket first.
I didn't need those on my '02, but maybe I was just lucky.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch View Post
I didn't need those on my '02, but maybe I was just lucky.
or you don't know the difference.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Katch
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
or you don't know the difference.

What would the difference be? I installed the lift(s) about 7 years ago, and put over 40,000 miles with no problems. Whatever I did even corrected the death wobble I occasionally used to get.

I'm only asking since I plan to do the same lift with my '05 Rubi.

Steve
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch View Post

What would the difference be? I installed the lift(s) about 7 years ago, and put over 40,000 miles with no problems. Whatever I did even corrected the death wobble I occasionally used to get.

I'm only asking since I plan to do the same lift with my '05 Rubi.

Steve
ok, so the factory caster spec is 7* +/- 1*. thats freakin' wide. After the lift my caster was 4*, way too low IMHO. Had persistent harmonic steering shimmy...not DW, but required two hands on the wheel and highway driving was scary. Overcorrection was far to easy and return to center sucked beyond my liking. Installed cam bolts, got to 5.5* caster - soooo much better driving overall. Will eventually get to 6-6.5* caster with adjustable arms and HPD30...should drive better than stock w/ OME suspension. But, rubidriver has a OME lift, and his caster is 5.5 with no cam bolts...and theres a Rubicon LJ on this forum with a long arm kit, and 1* difference in caster per side. The factory tolerance is so wide you won't know till the lift is on.

Now front bumpstops - 2.5" OME springs will compress fully into the stock spring tower, so you can run a max tire size of 31" unless you install a BL and/or some bumpstops. OME already includes rear 20mm bumpstops to clear the rear shocks & track bar relocation bracket. In fact, you really want to weld some reinforcement to the stock rear track bar bracket to reinforce the OME bracket...it puts a lot more leverage on there, causing it to rip off eventually.

Now the front track bar - the lift will cause the front axle to be off center by about 3/8-1/2" or so. this will cause you to rub the sway bar and control arms at lock on one side, depending on tire size and wheel backspacing. the ideal way to fix this is an adjustable track bar. problem is there is no adjustable track bar that works with less than 2" of front bumpstop because they all hit the front diff cover.
read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

ok, so to reuse the stock front track bar, you need to drill a new hole in the mount. This weakens the mount greatly. This means you need to weld a support to it.
Read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...racket-905624/

This is the case with any lift btw...not just the OME.
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
RainingThunder6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

so what exactly would i need. and what is a caster?
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingThunder6 View Post
so what exactly would i need. and what is a caster?
read about caster here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/en...g-read-663777/

everything else i already outlined above, read the links.....

the OME is very good quality stuff...but there is just no full complete "kit", no matter what brand we're talking about....
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
RainingThunder6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

but for starters could i just do the suspension t-case drop and rear track bar relocation? because i don't really want to do the motor lift and body lift.
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingThunder6 View Post
but for starters could i just do the suspension t-case drop and rear track bar relocation? because i don't really want to do the motor lift and body lift.
definitely, as long as you can tolerate rubbing 31x10.50" wide tires on the control arm on the passenger side (or you could change backspacing or steering stops). just be aware of the issues described above, especially the rear track bar bracket tendency to rip off.
Unread 03-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
RainingThunder6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

maybe a front trackbar..
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you dont have to do a body lift with a MML, you can do one by itself or together, its just a good combo

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
RainingThunder6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

any other recommendations for lift kits other then OME?

Tags
lift , ome , questions

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.