Lift opinion - minor offroad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift opinion - minor offroad

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lift opinion - minor offroad

Yeah I know this has been asked 100000000 times but times change and so do parts so it is nice to get new feedback.

keep in mind 90 street/10 offroad use.

Stuck between getting 2" RE lift with 31x10.5 = $200 (lift)
4 shocks
coil spacers (do these crack/how long do they last?)

2.5" rough country with 31x10.5 = $300 (lift)
4 2.2 shocks
4 coil springs (I have heard the springs sag over time, is this true?)
t-case spacers

probably going to need rear track bar brackets (17.95) and steering stablizer (28.95)

main concerns is
how long does each last over time?

and which setup do you think looks better or is the better buy?

feel free to call me a noob and flame me

Joeggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
Yeah I know this has been asked 100000000 times but times change and so do parts so it is nice to get new feedback.

keep in mind 90 street/10 offroad use.

Stuck between getting 2" RE lift with 31x10.5 = $200 (lift)
4 shocks
coil spacers (do these crack/how long do they last?)

2.5" rough country with 31x10.5 = $300 (lift)
4 2.2 shocks
4 coil springs (I have heard the springs sag over time, is this true?)
t-case spacers

probably going to need rear track bar brackets (17.95) and steering stablizer (28.95)

main concerns is
how long does each last over time?

and which setup do you think looks better or is the better buy?

feel free to call me a noob and flame me
I always prefer springs to spacers.The spacers will last longer than your Jeep.The springs will last just as long for what you plan on using it for.I've never had any RC springs sag.They might settle in 1/2".The RC 2.5" lift will give you more than that and settle down to 2.5".I always buy RC lifts.On the RC lift,DON'T use the t case spacers until you see if you get any vibes.If you do,buy a MML or drop the t case a little bit with washers until the vibes go away.The axles should only shift about 1/2" so the track bar bracket is up to you.You don't need the stabilizer unless yours is shot or you want it to match the shocks.
Oh,I forgot you wanted me to call you a
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I always prefer springs to spacers.The spacers will last longer than your Jeep.The springs will last just as long for what you plan on using it for.I've never had any RC springs sag.They might settle in 1/2".The RC 2.5" lift will give you more than that and settle down to 2.5".I always buy RC lifts.On the RC lift,DON'T use the t case spacers until you see if you get any vibes.If you do,buy a MML or drop the t case a little bit with washers until the vibes go away.The axles should only shift about 1/2" so the track bar bracket is up to you.You don't need the stabilizer unless yours is shot or you want it to match the shocks.
Oh,I forgot you wanted me to call you a
I was going to get the stabilizer as mine is probably shot considering it has 140k miles but not sure how to check. What is required/really recommended (like what most people also buy) when getting the rc kit?

btw my bump stops look pretty bad as the little rubber piece in the rear has fallen out, should i go ahead and replace those while im at it?

I didnt say you had to call me a noob =)
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

With a 2" or 2.5" lift there really isn't much to it. I wouldn't mess with the track bars until you are both sure you're not going higher, and cant stand the fact that the tires are off center 0.5".

You definately want to fix the bump stops with either kit. The bumpstop protects your springs from damage.

I like the poly spacer lifts because they have little to no effect on the way the Jeep feels on the road. However, you have 140K miles and your OEM springs are likely not as perky as they used to be. You may see much more "lift" with new coils.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you're only going with 31x10.50's, I wouldn't lift it at all. Personally I think the tires would look too small with that much lift.
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
mmarmouz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
If you're only going with 31x10.50's, I wouldn't lift it at all. Personally I think the tires would look too small with that much lift.
x2
mmarmouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the main reason i said 31s is because I didnt want to take a drastic power loss most people complain about with a 32 on 3.07 gears. The jeep will be mainly used for now to put around school city driving, highway, and pulling a 1000lb jet ski.

so you think it is safe for me to get 32s and still be decently driveable and still get mid teen mpg?

i dont have 1k to blow on gear change or axle swap right now
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
... and still get mid teen mpg?
no

Low teens maybe.

The point of thier posts was that if you want 31s and you don't go serious offroad just buy 31s without the lift. If the nose of your Jeep is a little low put a spacer up front or you could even put a 1.75" spacer up front and a .75" spacer in the rear and you wouldn't even need to swap the shocks. The whole "lift" would cost you about $80, be "wheelable" and would look great with 31s.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , suspension , tj , wrangler , rc , rough country , re , rubicon express

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.