Lift opinion - minor offroad - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Joeggernaut
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NCSU
Posts: 199
Lift opinion - minor offroad

Yeah I know this has been asked 100000000 times but times change and so do parts so it is nice to get new feedback.

keep in mind 90 street/10 offroad use.

Stuck between getting 2" RE lift with 31x10.5 = $200 (lift)
4 shocks
coil spacers (do these crack/how long do they last?)



2.5" rough country with 31x10.5 = $300 (lift)
4 2.2 shocks
4 coil springs (I have heard the springs sag over time, is this true?)
t-case spacers

probably going to need rear track bar brackets (17.95) and steering stablizer (28.95)


main concerns is
how long does each last over time?

and which setup do you think looks better or is the better buy?



feel free to call me a noob and flame me

Joeggernaut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CharlottesHELL
Posts: 34,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
Yeah I know this has been asked 100000000 times but times change and so do parts so it is nice to get new feedback.

keep in mind 90 street/10 offroad use.

Stuck between getting 2" RE lift with 31x10.5 = $200 (lift)
4 shocks
coil spacers (do these crack/how long do they last?)



2.5" rough country with 31x10.5 = $300 (lift)
4 2.2 shocks
4 coil springs (I have heard the springs sag over time, is this true?)
t-case spacers

probably going to need rear track bar brackets (17.95) and steering stablizer (28.95)


main concerns is
how long does each last over time?

and which setup do you think looks better or is the better buy?



feel free to call me a noob and flame me
I always prefer springs to spacers.The spacers will last longer than your Jeep.The springs will last just as long for what you plan on using it for.I've never had any RC springs sag.They might settle in 1/2".The RC 2.5" lift will give you more than that and settle down to 2.5".I always buy RC lifts.On the RC lift,DON'T use the t case spacers until you see if you get any vibes.If you do,buy a MML or drop the t case a little bit with washers until the vibes go away.The axles should only shift about 1/2" so the track bar bracket is up to you.You don't need the stabilizer unless yours is shot or you want it to match the shocks.
Oh,I forgot you wanted me to call you a
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Joeggernaut
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NCSU
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I always prefer springs to spacers.The spacers will last longer than your Jeep.The springs will last just as long for what you plan on using it for.I've never had any RC springs sag.They might settle in 1/2".The RC 2.5" lift will give you more than that and settle down to 2.5".I always buy RC lifts.On the RC lift,DON'T use the t case spacers until you see if you get any vibes.If you do,buy a MML or drop the t case a little bit with washers until the vibes go away.The axles should only shift about 1/2" so the track bar bracket is up to you.You don't need the stabilizer unless yours is shot or you want it to match the shocks.
Oh,I forgot you wanted me to call you a
I was going to get the stabilizer as mine is probably shot considering it has 140k miles but not sure how to check. What is required/really recommended (like what most people also buy) when getting the rc kit?

btw my bump stops look pretty bad as the little rubber piece in the rear has fallen out, should i go ahead and replace those while im at it?

I didnt say you had to call me a noob =)
Joeggernaut is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Zen
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rockwall
Posts: 1,074
With a 2" or 2.5" lift there really isn't much to it. I wouldn't mess with the track bars until you are both sure you're not going higher, and cant stand the fact that the tires are off center 0.5".

You definately want to fix the bump stops with either kit. The bumpstop protects your springs from damage.

I like the poly spacer lifts because they have little to no effect on the way the Jeep feels on the road. However, you have 140K miles and your OEM springs are likely not as perky as they used to be. You may see much more "lift" with new coils.

-Darkstar, judy-judy. I'm going in for guns.
--
-Stick, splash one!
Zen is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Jason D
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 1,045
If you're only going with 31x10.50's, I wouldn't lift it at all. Personally I think the tires would look too small with that much lift.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Jason D is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 PM
mmarmouz
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
If you're only going with 31x10.50's, I wouldn't lift it at all. Personally I think the tires would look too small with that much lift.
x2
mmarmouz is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Joeggernaut
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NCSU
Posts: 199
the main reason i said 31s is because I didnt want to take a drastic power loss most people complain about with a 32 on 3.07 gears. The jeep will be mainly used for now to put around school city driving, highway, and pulling a 1000lb jet ski.

so you think it is safe for me to get 32s and still be decently driveable and still get mid teen mpg?

i dont have 1k to blow on gear change or axle swap right now
Joeggernaut is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Zen
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rockwall
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
... and still get mid teen mpg?
no

Low teens maybe.

The point of thier posts was that if you want 31s and you don't go serious offroad just buy 31s without the lift. If the nose of your Jeep is a little low put a spacer up front or you could even put a 1.75" spacer up front and a .75" spacer in the rear and you wouldn't even need to swap the shocks. The whole "lift" would cost you about $80, be "wheelable" and would look great with 31s.

-Darkstar, judy-judy. I'm going in for guns.
--
-Stick, splash one!
Zen is offline  
Reply

Tags
lift , suspension , tj , wrangler , rc , rough country , re , rubicon express

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
lift kit w/ body lift - need advice/opinion coldyj YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 13 03-24-2009 03:34 PM
minor mods, opinion on photoshoped pic? ben8jam Wrangler General Discussion 8 06-06-2008 12:30 PM
Lift? OR Fix some semi minor things? jaminb YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 17 03-08-2008 01:56 PM
JCR offroad TJ sliders...powder coat or line-x...your opinion Zinkart TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 17 02-28-2007 08:39 PM
minor vibes after lift... rsm688 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 09-24-2005 12:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome