Lift kit thoughts? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift kit thoughts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Reply
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #76
PStov98TJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 31
Spacers will add more stress to the axle and maybe buy you 3" total.

As far as "long arm" versus "short arm", I'm a fan of keeping the arms on the shorter end. In my opinion, it's easier to keep better clearance underneath the jeep when you don't have arms hanging all over the place. And you have to keep in mind the idea of useable travel. If you have enough travel to unseat a spring, what good is that tire doing you that has no weight on it? My point here being that you can get all the useable travel you want out of a short or mid arm setup the same as you can by going with a long arm setup, only with more clearance.

PStov98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #77
Kodiak17
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kutztown, PA/ Andover, NJ
Posts: 3,736
Downsize your tires or upsize your axles... Or a combination of both: HP30 and 8.8 with chromo's can last on 37's.
__________________
Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #78
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 490
I don't really agree with the idea of running 37s on a Dana 30. Even with a high pinion XJ upgrade, especially with this being a daily driver. For you to be happy with the performance on the street, you're going to need to run deep gears. The R&P of a D30 just isn't large enough to handle the shock loads associated with rock crawling on 37s.

Yes, I do run Black Mountain. I'll be back down for Fall Crawl.

If you want to go play at Harlan or similar areas and you want to go with the biggest tire size you can and still stay as a daily driver on the axles you're talking about, here would be my suggestion on the axle combo you're thinking about.

HPD30, chromo shafts, 4.10 gears. Ford 8.8 stock axles 4.10 gears is a good setup up to 35" tires. Granted, this is slightly underpowered on the road, but not bad with a 4.0. You are at a sweeter spot for deeper gearing than a stock 4.0 gears, but not toothpick thin like on a 4.88. 35" tires only require minor trimming.

LPD30 (what you have now on your TJ), chromo shafts, 4.56 gears and Super 35 kit (which I never recommend, but some people want them) or a stock 8.8 with matching gearset will be just fine for 33" tires.

There's not tons of obstacles in a place like Harlan for the guys on 33s. 35" tires can get you into and out of most of the fun places that the guys on 37s go (assuming you have some driving skill). Many places in that area require even bigger tires. I'm limited down there in what I can do on 38s. However, anything over 35s should always go hand in hand with axle swaps.
__________________
We are currently away from the forums and unavailable for quotes. Please contact our sales team at 800-388-8637.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #79
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by will1424 View Post
That's a lot of flex out of a short arm
Contrary to popular belief, short arms "flex" just as well as long arms. Joints have come a long way from some Poly flex joint crap to the latest and greatest Johnny Joint and Duroflex joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1424 View Post
You know I posted this for help finding a kit. Well then I decided to build one. I'm asking for ideas and opinions on what I should do. If I wanted to hear someone run there mouth I would have just talked to my girlfriend instead. Either help me out (which I will very well appreciate) or shut your cock suckers. Simple as that A lot of people can run there mouth behind a keyboard but I doubt any of them will come out from behind it. Lol. And I'm not on here to start trouble like some people are. I'm asking for advice. Help or gtfo .
Godamnit man. You must be really trying to get banned. You're just another one of those people that think they're all tough outside of the computer and everyone else on the Internet isn't. You should try Pirate 4x4.

I for one, give zero ****s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
he just has a blunt way of saying things, you get used to it.
Isn't this the truth. It took me the longest time to figure this out.
__________________
Wanted: Savvy/Currie 3" front springs

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #80
will1424
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: norton, va
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOnsChris View Post
I don't really agree with the idea of running 37s on a Dana 30. Even with a high pinion XJ upgrade, especially with this being a daily driver. For you to be happy with the performance on the street, you're going to need to run deep gears. The R&P of a D30 just isn't large enough to handle the shock loads associated with rock crawling on 37s.

Yes, I do run Black Mountain. I'll be back down for Fall Crawl.

If you want to go play at Harlan or similar areas and you want to go with the biggest tire size you can and still stay as a daily driver on the axles you're talking about, here would be my suggestion on the axle combo you're thinking about.

HPD30, chromo shafts, 4.10 gears. Ford 8.8 stock axles 4.10 gears is a good setup up to 35" tires. Granted, this is slightly underpowered on the road, but not bad with a 4.0. You are at a sweeter spot for deeper gearing than a stock 4.0 gears, but not toothpick thin like on a 4.88. 35" tires only require minor trimming.

LPD30 (what you have now on your TJ), chromo shafts, 4.56 gears and Super 35 kit (which I never recommend, but some people want them) or a stock 8.8 with matching gearset will be just fine for 33" tires.

There's not tons of obstacles in a place like Harlan for the guys on 33s. 35" tires can get you into and out of most of the fun places that the guys on 37s go (assuming you have some driving skill). Many places in that area require even bigger tires. I'm limited down there in what I can do on 38s. However, anything over 35s should always go hand in hand with axle swaps.
Thanks to all of you for the advice. Does anyone have an idea of why my jeep screetches at around 3k rpm on the highway? I also have a noise from the front DS normally in cold weather or moist weather that sounds like birds chirping. When I go to 4wd it goes away? Any thoughts?
will1424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #81
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 490
Driveshaft, likely u-joints. Could also be coming from the front axle u-joints.

The screeches are likely coming from your stock axles screaming in pain at the thought of running big tires and begging to be put out of their misery.

That could also come from the driveshaft or belt or a number of things like a pulley, alt, pump, etc. Pull the front driveshaft, take it for a drive and see what happens.
__________________
We are currently away from the forums and unavailable for quotes. Please contact our sales team at 800-388-8637.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #82
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by will1424 View Post
Thanks to all of you for the advice. Does anyone have an idea of why my jeep screetches at around 3k rpm on the highway? I also have a noise from the front DS normally in cold weather or moist weather that sounds like birds chirping. When I go to 4wd it goes away? Any thoughts?
The screech is the belt or a pulley bearing.

The front drive shaft noise is your centering yoke ball dry in the socket. Replace it.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #83
will1424
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: norton, va
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

The screech is the belt or a pulley bearing.

The front drive shaft noise is your centering yoke ball dry in the socket. Replace it.
Well right now I'm just on 33s lol. I don't think its the axles. Thanks for the help
will1424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #84
will1424
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: norton, va
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by will1424 View Post

Well right now I'm just on 33s lol. I don't think its the axles. Thanks for the help
How would I troubleshoot the pulley etc.?
will1424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #85
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 14,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by will1424 View Post
How would I troubleshoot the pulley etc.?
Have somebody rev up the motor while you look under the hood. Take a real long screwdriver and carefully put the blade end against each pulley. Put your ear to the end of the screwdriver. Should be pretty clear which one is making the noise.
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #86
will1424
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: norton, va
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Have somebody rev up the motor while you look under the hood. Take a real long screwdriver and carefully put the blade end against each pulley. Put your ear to the end of the screwdriver. Should be pretty clear which one is making the noise.
Good deal. Thanks a bunch
will1424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #87
Necko2529
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brookfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Have somebody rev up the motor while you look under the hood. Take a real long screwdriver and carefully put the blade end against each pulley. Put your ear to the end of the screwdriver. Should be pretty clear which one is making the noise.
You should've used a disclaimer with this statement. I doubt he's bright enough, at 19, to do this without being taken for a bad ride or possibly killing himself.
__________________
Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #88
will1424
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: norton, va
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post

You should've used a disclaimer with this statement. I doubt he's bright enough, at 19, to do this without being taken for a bad ride or possibly killing himself.
Why does everyone insist on running their mouth. Yes i am capable of doing it. I promise you. I've been on construction sites since I was 15. Worked on plenty of cars. I can run hvac all through your house. As well as water lines. I can handle troubleshooting that. I'm sure there are plenty of things I can learn from you. But even though I'm 19 I'm sure there are plenty of things you could learn from me. I'm tired of arguing with everyone. Age is not a factor in this. Its work knowledge.
will1424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #89
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by will1424 View Post
I disagree with the shock to CA angle . Standard is in the ballpark of 90 degrees and in one of the pictures it looks more around 60. The coil buckets being moved back could make contact with the shocks. Maybe not. Overall i like the idea especially since thats just with 2.5" lift springs. The CA angle just bothers me because rule in hand is that the more level the angle the smoother the ride. witch that could always be fixed by adjusting the CAs and moving the frame mount slightly forward.
You missed every aspect I was asking about and focused on something of minor consequence. There's a whole lot more going on in those pics besides control arm vs shock angle....

You did however prove you don't have the working knowledge to attempt a build on the scale you're proposing. I just hope you realize that, swallow your pride and start trying to learn from the teachers you're arguing with.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #90
will1424
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: norton, va
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

You missed every aspect I was asking about and focused on something of minor consequence.

You did however prove you have a lot more reading and learning to do before even think about attempting a build on the scale you're proposing.
Then tell me what you wanted me to tell u and ill tell u how I would fix it.
will1424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
jeep , lift , long arm , tj

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.