Lift kit thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift kit thoughts?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
will1424
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lift kit thoughts?

Anyone know where i could find a used long arm? Pref 6" and up? I currently have a 4" SA. I have looked into the LA upgrade kits which are 4-6" but my hangup there is getting that extra 2 in. Any help would be appreciated.

will1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could look here. Or check craigslist. Or Pirate 4x4 classifieds.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
will1424
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, ive looked here. cant seem to find anything. ill check over on pirate. If anyone runs across anything let me know
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
will1424
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does anybody have a long arm for sale in the 1500 or under range?
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Build your own

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
will1424
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ahhh i want to so bad like the clayton LA kit but its just going to be very time consuming, as well as the fact that i commute daily with the jeep and i cant have it in pieces for longer than a weekend
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
will1424
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i saw a great write up on a home made lift kit who did the clayton style square tube arms and the triangulated for link rear. I could probably do the entire build for 5 or 600 dollars. I need a secondary vehicle to drive though
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Clayton doesn't even make anything 6" and up as you say you are looking for. Why that tall? I have run several Clayton iterations and have not needed anything more than 5.5" coil to clear 40" tires.

Why do you want long arm if you are on a budget? They won't get you much until you are stretching, all new axle side brackets to level the arms, etc...

I have had SA kits. Mine worked wonderfully when set up well. I had few complaints.

I went LA because I wanted 40's to run the local trails that need something large to fill the holes.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
will1424
2004 TJ Wrangler 

im not saying i want the clayton kit. Im saying i found a build thread that followed the guidelines of the clayton system. If i am building my own, i can make them whatever length i choose. How on earth do you clear a 40" tire on a 5.5" lift. I have a 4" lift and can barely clear a 35" The only way you could clear a 40 on that lift is to cut the tub or space the tires outside of the tub. I want to run a 37" tire. I currently have a 4" pro comp short arm kit and i hate it. It flexes decent. At 4" i can cram my 33" tire right into the fender well. It just doesnt compare to a long arm kit though. You may be able to get close with top of the line short arm kits, but on trails, crawling, there is nothing with the strength and flex of a long arm .
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1424 View Post
im not saying i want the clayton kit. Im saying i found a build thread that followed the guidelines of the clayton system. If i am building my own, i can make them whatever length i choose. How on earth do you clear a 40" tire on a 5.5" lift. I have a 4" lift and can barely clear a 35" The only way you could clear a 40 on that lift is to cut the tub or space the tires outside of the tub. I want to run a 37" tire. I currently have a 4" pro comp short arm kit and i hate it. It flexes decent. At 4" i can cram my 33" tire right into the fender well. It just doesnt compare to a long arm kit though. You may be able to get close with top of the line short arm kits, but on trails, crawling, there is nothing with the strength and flex of a long arm .
There's more to this stuff than you realize.

37's and 20" between the ground and frame rails. That equates to about 2" of "lift." 5.5" of up travel in the front, 6" in the rear.

Get out a little more. There's more to this stuff than "lift."
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How on earth do you clear a 40" tire on a 5.5" lift. I have a 4" lift and can barely clear a 35" The only way you could clear a 40 on that lift is to cut the tub or space the tires outside of the tub. I want to run a 37" tire. I currently have a 4" pro comp short arm kit and i hate it. It flexes decent. At 4" i can cram my 33" tire right into the fender well. It just doesnt compare to a long arm kit though. You may be able to get close with top of the line short arm kits, but on trails, crawling, there is nothing with the strength and flex of a long arm .
full width axles and/or removing sheetmetal

your last statement made me giggle, and sounds like you quoted it directly from a magazine that is promoting long arms.
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
will1424
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds more like it came from someone who knows more than you think he does. I know how a suspension works. I know how to properly set one up. It is common sense that if you are running a 5.5" lift with 40" tires you are not going to have a capable off road rig without cutting fenders. Sure you may be able to cram a 40" tire under there and it may get you down the street but its not going to get you anywhere when you leave hard top. As I recall I do believe I never asked your advice on suspension or whether your high dollar knowledge was of any use to me. I live in the most backwoods part of VA you will find. I know the woods better than you know how to spell your name. And I know that a 6" long arm suspension on 40s ain't going to get you anywhere. I simply asked for help on finding a used kit for one of my vehicles. Not a bunch of high class gibberish by a few guys who were probably raised by hellen keller. You two have a nice day and find someone else to bless with your wonderful ego.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is common sense that if you are running a 5.5" lift with 40" tires you are not going to have a capable off road rig without cutting fenders.
If you're on 40's and on stock fenders, you're not using your Jeep.

Disclaimer: I'm sure someone will come out of the woodwork with 40's and stock fenders wheeling in Utah.

Will, instead of *****ing and moaning about jibberish nobody cares about, how about you prove that you're right in a technical manner. As it stands right now, it appears you don't know what you're talking about despite you stating the opposite.

If you want to buy someone's used junk, keep an eye out on the forum classifieds here and elsewhere. I feel like that can go without saying.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, I've cut sheet metal. On the road to one tons and 40's a grinder, sawzall, jig saw, and whatever else removes and/or shapes metal have become good friends of mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.