Lift kit suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift kit suggestions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
tway88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lift kit suggestions

I just purchased an '04 TJ Wrangler. Not quite sure what type of lift kit I should purchase, or how high I want to lift it. Any suggestions?

tway88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search. Your answer is already out there. What do you plan to do to the jeep?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

We can't help much especially if you don't know what height you want. Or size tires?
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
MotoSoul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You have a lot of reading ahead of you. Honesty I would put a 2 inch suspension lift(stock control arms) on it with a 1 inch body lift and run 33's tops until you really know what you need.
I like the arms, they are a good solution, but they really aren't worth the effort for the average person and you already see the BS that goes on over bushings VS JJ's, the crap that would go on over J arms would be epic.[/QUOTE]
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSoul
You have a lot of reading ahead of you. Honesty I would put a 2 inch suspension lift(stock control arms) on it with a 1 inch body lift and run 33's tops until you really know what you need.
If that. Maybe even just a BB on 31s

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I recommend driving it without mods to see what issues you run into. Then make mods to correct what you find. Do you intend to do mud, rocks, or malls? The way you want it to use it will determine what you need to do.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
BuckshotTJ01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do not go with a body lift.. All they do is look horrific. Id say go with a 3 in suspension lift and set some 33's under it. You could go into a 4 in but then you would have to replace the control arms (a lot more $$$). Also when you put 35's on your Jeep it really cuts down your horsepower, torque, and gas mileage. In my opinion your best bet would be to go with the 3 in suspension lift with 33 in tires.

I have a 3 in suspension lift wrapped up with 33 in tires.
image-2239508349.jpg  
BuckshotTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckshotTJ01 View Post
Do not go with a body lift.. All they do is look horrific. Id say go with a 3 in suspension lift and set some 33's under it. You could go into a 4 in but then you would have to replace the control arms (a lot more $$$). Also when you put 35's on your Jeep it really cuts down your horsepower, torque, and gas mileage. In my opinion your best bet would be to go with the 3 in suspension lift with 33 in tires.

I have a 3 in suspension lift wrapped up with 33 in tires.
A body lift has a lot more uses than you think. More clearance in the wheel well is just one of them.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
BuckshotTJ01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know that it a body lift gives more wheel well.. Im just saying its not the best lift. Like I wouldn't recommend it because it looks horrible.
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
BuckshotTJ01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17

A body lift has a lot more uses than you think. More clearance in the wheel well is just one of them.
I know that there are some benefits for a body lift.. Im just saying its not the best lift. Like I wouldn't recommend it because it looks horrible. Full on suspension lift is the way to go.
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckshotTJ01 View Post

I know that there are some benefits for a body lift.. Im just saying its not the best lift. Like I wouldn't recommend it because it looks horrible. Full on suspension lift is the way to go.
You can hardly notice a 1" body lift . The only place it really shows at all is in the rear between the bumper and body on lighter colored jeeps . in order to do a ultra high clearance tummy tuck and fuel tank skid a body lift is a must. That is unless you want to spend hours with a hammer beating your floor up to make clearance. A small body lift is the first lift I would suggest doing. 1.25" maximum is all the more I would go, or they do start to get ugly and installation gets more complex as well.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, gonna have to disagree with being able to notice a BL. 99.99% of the people won't even notice a 1" BL. And doing a 1" BL,MML together allowed me to tuck my belly up tight. I gained 3.5" of under belly clearance partially because of it. That's basically equal to a 3.5" suspension lift in reality. And my suspension is still stock.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
JFL
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2.5" rough country on my 05 TJ right now that I am very happy with. I would have got the 2.5' with a 1.25" BL if I would have had the extra money at the time.
I would look into Rough Country http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_combo_2.html
This combo kit has dropped down to a start price of $389. It will give you tire clearance and allow you tuck everything up out of the way. Just make sure you read everything and look at recommended upgrades. This combo is exactly what I would have right now if I would have been able to wait.
JFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFL
I have a 2.5" rough country on my 05 TJ right now that I am very happy with. I would have got the 2.5' with a 1.25" BL if I would have had the extra money at the time.
I would look into Rough Country http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_combo_2.html
This combo kit has dropped down to a start price of $389. It will give you tire clearance and allow you tuck everything up out of the way. Just make sure you read everything and look at recommended upgrades. This combo is exactly what I would have right now if I would have been able to wait.
Like stated many times on here (I didn't listen either), stay away from the rough country lift kits. It WILL cost you more in the long run. Sagging springs, unlevel lifts, terrible ride quality, very stiff shocks....you get what you pay for. BTW, I finally removed the 2.2 shocks and installed Bilstein 5100 shocks and WOW what a difference in ride quality! It's no longer a jaw breaker!
I am also running a 1.25" body lift and the only place you can tell is the space in between the rear bumper and body. It's really not a big deal and allows you to do a 3" suspension lift, get the tire clearance of a 4"(along with other benefits) and still maintain a more factory ride quality of the lower lifts.
bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcash616 View Post

Like stated many times on here (I didn't listen either), stay away from the rough country lift kits. It WILL cost you more in the long run. Sagging springs, unlevel lifts, terrible ride quality, very stiff shocks....you get what you pay for. BTW, I finally removed the 2.2 shocks and installed Bilstein 5100 shocks and WOW what a difference in ride quality! It's no longer a jaw breaker!
I am also running a 1.25" body lift and the only place you can tell is the space in between the rear bumper and body. It's really not a big deal and allows you to do a 3" suspension lift, get the tire clearance of a 4"(along with other benefits) and still maintain a more factory ride quality of the lower lifts.
They got a new spring supplier about a year ago and it has seemed to fix the spring issue they had. The 2.2 shocks are awful and should be avoided. I wouldn't discount the rc 3.75" without the shocks and plus a 1" motor mount lift. They do offer a nice long progressive rate spring at a budget price. That's about all I would buy from rc though!
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help needed , lift kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.