Lift Kit Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Kit Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lift Kit Questions

I've had my jeep a little over 2 years now and one thing I've always wanted to do was jack it up. I bought it on Craigslist and the guy said he had a lift put on it, but i cant recall how high he said it was. The brand doesn't matter to me i just want to upgrade it to a higher lift. Is there anyway to tell how high of a lift i have just by looking at the coils or shocks? or really anything at all that will tell me how high my lift is?

Also im not looking to super bust the bank, what are some good, inexpensive lift kits out there? about 4+ inches?

Thanks for the Help!

BABrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
s62e39
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a brand listed on the shocks? Does it have a lowering front track bar bracket? New track bar? Second hole drilled in the bracket to center the axle?

Does it have tubular lower control arms? Post some pics
s62e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
s62e39
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bet there's a measurement from fender to the hub but I don't know what it should be stock. Someone can chime in
s62e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
buckeyedolfan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

4" of lift will probably break your bank if you do it right.
buckeyedolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Zone combo will get you where you want to be for now.
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stock front coils measure 12" at ride height and rears are 8". There could also be a large spacer on top of the spring which is a budget boost spacer.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABrax View Post
I've had my jeep a little over 2 years now and one thing I've always wanted to do was jack it up. I bought it on Craigslist and the guy said he had a lift put on it, but i cant recall how high he said it was. The brand doesn't matter to me i just want to upgrade it to a higher lift. Is there anyway to tell how high of a lift i have just by looking at the coils or shocks? or really anything at all that will tell me how high my lift is?
Also im not looking to super bust the bank, what are some good, inexpensive lift kits out there? about 4+ inches?
Thanks for the Help!
"Good and inexpensive" are tough to find.
Read the thousands of posts about lifts on here and see that the higher you go the more expensive it gets. There are so many variables to consider just means you need to do a ton of research on your own so you are educated on what and what not to do. Once you cross over into the 4+ lift that's when it gets pricey.
Some things you might be buying for a "Quality" lift:
Coil springs, control arms, track bars, bump stops, SYE, driveshaft, motor mount lift, body lift, shocks, stronger steering set up, brakes, tires, wheels and cable shifter just to get you started. Of course you can go cheap, but you get what you pay for especially with lifts.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
"Good and inexpensive" are tough to find.
Read the thousands of posts about lifts on here and see that the higher you go the more expensive it gets. There are so many variables to consider just means you need to do a ton of research on your own so you are educated on what and what not to do. Once you cross over into the 4+ lift that's when it gets pricey.
Some things you might be buying for a "Quality" lift:
Coil springs, control arms, track bars, bump stops, SYE, driveshaft, motor mount lift, body lift, shocks, stronger steering set up, brakes, tires, wheels and cable shifter just to get you started. Of course you can go cheap, but you get what you pay for especially with lifts.
Basically already have all those, New drive shafts, SYE, tires, wheels, im pretty sure i have a 4 inch now, but it doesn't seem like it. i Feel like the guy said it was like a 3" suspension, 1" body but i dont remember. control arms, track bars, got all that. just looking to add a little more, cause again doesnt seem to be 4" i think i may go with a 2" body and add 3/4" spacers to the springs, that should help.
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s62e39 View Post
Is there a brand listed on the shocks? Does it have a lowering front track bar bracket? New track bar? Second hole drilled in the bracket to center the axle?

Does it have tubular lower control arms? Post some pics
Heres all i know. I have rancho shocks, if there is a way to measure those to tell me my lift, great! Also know its a short arm lift so its not a giant lift. not sure about the track bars. Ill try to have some pictures on by tonight
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Basically already have all those, New drive shafts, SYE, tires, wheels, im pretty sure i have a 4 inch now, but it doesn't seem like it. i Feel like the guy said it was like a 3" suspension, 1" body but i dont remember. control arms, track bars, got all that. just looking to add a little more, cause again doesnt seem to be 4" i think i may go with a 2" body and add 3/4" spacers to the springs, that should help.
Why?
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Heres all i know. I have rancho shocks, if there is a way to measure those to tell me my lift, great! Also know its a short arm lift so its not a giant lift. not sure about the track bars. Ill try to have some pictures on by tonight
I already gave you the stock spring measurements at ride height. All you need to do is measure your springs and subtract the stock spring measurements from what you have. The remainder is how much lift you have.
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
ExtremeLED
ExtremeLEDLightBars.com

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks for the Help!
I have a 99 TJ as well and it has a 4" TeraFlex long arm lift. The measurement of the inside distance of the front spring (from top spring mount to lower) is 16". Stock is 12". So simply measure yours and see what it comes in at. If it is 14.5", for example, you have a 2.5" lift.

Hope that helps.
ExtremeLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just going to say that good and inexpensive *can* be in the same category...just hear me out.

RC 2.5" coils (only good thing RC makes)- $199
Skyjacker Hydro's- $150
JKS 1.25" body lift- $90
JKS 1" MML- $70
RC quick disco's- $70

Right there you have the ability to run 33's and you're not screwing anything up. If it were me though, I would change the shocks out to some Bilstein 5100's but they run around $300. Anyway for $580 you can have something that does 90% of what you want, ride pretty good, and overall not **** anything else up. I REALLY wish people would do research like this. From there you can add trackbars, new control arms, tummy tuck...etc.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.