Lift Kit differences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Kit differences?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lift Kit differences?

Hey all hope im doing this right its my first post. Im new to the game and have a 99 TJ. Its on 31s now but I want to put a lift in... im thinking 2-4". I was looking at quadratech and they have lift advisor but what really is the difference between Spacer Lifts, Coil Spring Lifts, and Coil Lifts with short or long arms. Obviously price, performance and parts.... but i still dont have any good info..

im putz around in the NJ pine Barrens, do big puddles, mud and sand beaches...im not going to be doing crazy rocks (i dont think anyway). I know that I want to lift my overall ground clearance. Will a spacer lift do that? How does it perform?

thanks

bisco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco1 View Post
Hey all hope im doing this right its my first post. Im new to the game and have a 99 TJ. Its on 31s now but I want to put a lift in... im thinking 2-4". I was looking at quadratech and they have lift advisor but what really is the difference between Spacer Lifts, Coil Spring Lifts, and Coil Lifts with short or long arms. Obviously price, performance and parts.... but i still dont have any good info..

im putz around in the NJ pine Barrens, do big puddles, mud and sand beaches...im not going to be doing crazy rocks (i dont think anyway). I know that I want to lift my overall ground clearance. Will a spacer lift do that? How does it perform?

thanks
Well for one I see your completely new here and haven't searched around and everyone will tell you to do research before posting the 264,322,984th thread about a lift. I reccomend you search around and you'll find what you need. Second, stay away from Quadratec for lifts, it's fine for accessories and all just not lifts or other crucial components for you rig IMO. A coil spacer is a puck that goes on top of the stock coils and boost you up how ever tall it is, but its not just throwing a spacer on, you should get shocks, extended sway links, track bar relocation bracket, etc. now coil springs are well, coils. A better way to do a solid lift. Before you buy anything or before people really explain to you anything search around because any thing we tell you most likely wont make sense based off the little knowledge you seem to have about this (no offense).
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
willatthe4077th
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you staying on the 31s? If so, I wouldn't go over 2" as you would be gaining unnecessary clearance. Remember, the majority of ground clearance comes from tires more than lift. Lift is to fit bigger tires. Example: You could have 8 inches of suspension lift and 30" tires and your axles would still be hitting small rocks. Not to mention, even a 3" lift starts to look silly with 31s.

Do some searching. Here's a quick rundown.

Spacers: 0.75-2", pucks that go on top of the coils that gain you a little bit of lift, also called a Budget Boost (BB)

Coil lifts: 2"+, New coils that are longer than stock, usually come with new shocks, sway bar links, and a rear track bar relocation bracket.

Short arms: Typically this is referring to using control arms in the stock position at stock length. Maximum SA lift is about 4" before you seriously affect ride quality. Cheaper than long arms. Has pros and cons. 0-3" lift, you can usually keep the stock control arms.

Long arms: Highly complicated (usually) Very expensive. Usually involves cutting off the stock control arm brackets and welding on new ones and a new belly skid. Benefit is that you have much longer control arms which usually means better highway manners, ride quality, and suspension travel. But again, very expensive to do.

Things to consider.
Lifting is more than just slapping in some new coils and shocks and calling it a day. 2" or more requires new sway bar links at the very least and this is where you start to see driveline vibrations (look that up). 3"+ you start to need adjustable track bars, adjustable control arms, SYE/CV driveshaft, re-gearing for larger tires, and it just gets worse the higher you lift.

Good, brands for starter lifts:
Zone
BDS
Old man Emu
probably a few others

Stay away from superlift, procomp, Rough Country, and skyjacker. (At least, I would)

Currie/Savvy and Old Man Emu are probably the best options for short arm lifts.
willatthe4077th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just to tie in to the others, you'd be better off piecing together your own lift. That way you get exactly what you need, and nothing you don't.
Also, I had a skyjacker budget boost on my JK with the hydro shocks and it was actually very good. But that's all I'd get from them. Budget boosts don't really matter, just make sure you get decent shocks. Rough Country gets a bad rep here, but their 2.5" progressive springs are actually very good from what I've heard.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I was thinking a 2" BB and 32" tires... But you gave me some great info.
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

where are you at in Jersey ?
Gary2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in brigantine. I'm looking for a club in the area also...
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK , I was just wondering .... I was down there last year this time doing a pipe job on Bayshore ave. I am only up the GSP a little @ exit 58 area
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! I was up in bass river area for 3 hours sunday!!! Some mega puddles after all that rain...

I just ordered a 2.25" BB w/ skyjacker hydros...it seams to be the best option (after doing lots of research). Thanks for the tip!
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any club ideas?? In the area?
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I really have not got involved to much with clubs as I pretty much use mine for fishing. "New Jersey Jeep Association" covers a lot of this area and sounds like you would like them . If you get any Driveshaft vibes from your lift let me know . I have a JKS Motor mount lift that will help out and is better than lowering an already low skid plate. I have the motor mounts and the lift so you won't have to mod your existing Motor mounts . I will give you a good deal if you need them
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks.
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the 2.25 BB and Skyjacker 7000 hydros. It is a litter stiffer but nothing bad. It really made a big different in height! I was surprised...My wheels look little now! I have some 10.5x31 MTs that I will swap out in a few months...I was gonna do 32s but by looking at it I was thinking I might be able to get in 33s. Ill get a before and after pic up soon. Thanks for all your help.
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
willatthe4077th
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Before you go and put 33s on you should make sure you find out what gear ratio you have in your axles. If it's 3.07 I'd stick with 31s. I ran 33s on 3.07 for a few months and it was terrible.
willatthe4077th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
bisco1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The top is before...the bottom is after.
img_2643.jpg   img_2690.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.