Lift Kit Advice Please? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Kit Advice Please?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
SpencerAreson
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lift Kit Advice Please?

I am looking to get a lift kit in the near future. Some things I want:
-A 2-3in. suspension lift, no spacers.
-Under $400 would be nice but def. not over $500

I was looking at this, Jeep TJ Suspension Lift , but I have read some good and bad about it. The main thing i like about it is that its a suspension lift with no spacers for $300, but to be honest I have no if I would need to buy anything else along with it, such as sway bar links or transfer case drop. Any opinions on this lift? Any recommendations on other lifts? And last, whats the point in the add a leaf systems?

Thanks everyone in advance,
Spencer

Last edited by SpencerAreson; 05-22-2010 at 11:42 PM..
SpencerAreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im not an expert by any means, but i did just last weekend lift my tj 4 inches, and had to replace the front tracking bar, and add a bracket to the back to be able to center the axles. the sway bar links needed replacing as they were not long enough, and i had to get an alignment as well, because i got a horrible death wobble after installing the lift. im still working the bugs out on that but it is much better after the alignment and tracking bars. Hope you have better luck than me!
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well 4" is a lot of lift with out other mods, some one should really make a 4" lift check list for newbies.

To the OP you should be find with RC 2.5" lift, make sure you call RC when you order though talk to Jeffery and tell him you are a Jeep Forum Member he will give you 10% off. You may want a track bar rear relocation bracket but it probably won't be necessary. I would also get the 1.25" body lift, and 1" motor mount lift adding these two together should eliminate any vibrations you may get, and also give you enough room for 33s. If you don't do the BL/MML combo as well, then you can use a few washers as t-case drop, shouldn't take much if any. You may want longer sway bar links, but the stock ones should be okay two, same for the control arms. Add a leafs won't work for you because you have coil springs not leaf springs like the rear of XJs or all the way around on a YJ. Add leafs on a YJ give you some lift, at the cost for ride quality. Another lift to look at would be BDS.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I like rough country, just installed a 4" long arm with no problems yet. I dont know how they can sell these so cheap (mine was made in Mexico), but thats a great deal, it even has their high performance shocks. I would leave the TC drop off unless you feel vibes.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It comes with washers to drop the transfer case but nothing for lowering the linkage. I found those brackets not to be worth the time, as you still use the factory setup that will fail eventually. The advance adaptors bracket is the best $50 you can spend. Might want to research the shocks, as you can buy it without them for $200 and then pick up other shocks if reviews aren't good.

I only have 2" spacers, but haven't need to replace anything else...with the exception of my front swaybar links. Almost immediately after the BB, they started knocking. Another stock pair broke in a month. I would recommend the JKS or similar while you're doing it.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am running the RC 2.5 lift with the 2.2 shocks along with the M.O.R.E. body lift and motor mount lift. I'm pretty satisfied with the lift. It does ride a little stiffer than stock, but they were supposed to be reworking the valving on their shocks, so I don't know if what they offer now is any different. This kit is by no means a "comeplete" kit but then none of them are. Especially in that price range. You can run the RC lift with nothing else but...

With any lift there are things you will need to do, things that are highly recomended, things to check and things you may want to upgrade.

You will need to get an alignment or do one yourself. Lifting 2"-3" will bring your toe in to 1/2" to 3/4".
You will need to fix your driveline angles, either by lowering the t-case (but not the full 1-1/4" that is included in the RC lift) or by doing a Body Lift and Motor Mount Lift. Either one of these will also require adjusting the t-case linkage.

It is highly recommended to add bumpstop extensions as required to keep from bottoming the shocks or over stuffing your tires. Not doing this can potentially damage shocks, shock mounts, or fenders, flares or tires (I extended mine 2" in the rear and 1-1/2" in the front).

You should check your axles to see if they are centered after the lift. If they are off too far, you may want to add the rear track bar relo bracket and relocate the front or get adjustable track bars. You should also check all bushings on control arms and track bars. Your stock swaybar links should work, but it's not a bad idea to at least extend the front ones to get the correct geometry. I'm running the RC disconnects (their new style) and I find they work really well and are less than half the price of others like JKS. Check to make sure your brake lines are long enough. With a 2"-3" lift you should be fine, but this does need to be checked.

Upgrades you may want to consider are adjustable control arms, adjustable track bars, swaybar disconnects, slip yoke eliminator (SYE) with a new double cardan (CV) driveshaft (this is the best way to fix driveline angles without the need to drop your t-case or do the BL/MML combo).
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a set of rough country 2.5" springs in my garage that were on my jeep for about six months untill i decided i wanted a bigger lift. I would sell them for 100 plus shipping if you were interested. You would still need to get shocks and whatnot. Not sure how much shipping would be...
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

get Rusty's offroad 3" basic kit and you will be glad you did. Under 400

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , kit , lift , rough country

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.