Lift = Engine Overheating? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift = Engine Overheating?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretout View Post
Thanks Sundowner. I could not believe the lack of accountability on the shop's part. It seems like in this "recession" type of atmosphere, this shop decides to point the finger at a company that made the parts. RE wasn't responsible for the installation.

The part that makes me upset is the fact that they put the same 3.5 RE kit on my 97 TJ, with the same wheels, same tires, same components, and yet they say that "every Jeep is different" and this is an isolated incident. This statement may be true, but it is not a crutch for a poor installation job.

I spoke to the "manager" on hand and he said that I should contact Rubicon Express and ask them to cover the cost of the console. Horrible experience. Now I am worried about what other corners they cut...
Jeeps are different, yes...however, they're not different enough to where it's necessary to break parts and pieces to make others fit. The problem here is that you've got a shop that caveman-ed the entire lift installation...square peg in a round hole, essentially...and they don't want to pay for it. Okay, fine, you take your business elsewhere, and make sure that everyone else does, too. They need you a lot more than you need them, buddy...make sure they realize it.

Now, on to your overheating. You're in a hot environment, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the temp 1/4 of the way up from just sitting in the sun. So don't worry on that count, at least.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... for the shop that installed your lift. I think if I were you I would be going back over everything they did to see what else what "Beat" into place. Basically you need to double check it all. I'm still racking my brain to try to link a lift with over-heating. Maybe it is a coincidence.
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't give a F*** if the instructions said to break the console. They NEVER should have done it without calling and asking first. If it were my shop, I'd want a signature allowing me to break it. There are literally hundreds of people on this site with the same setup as you. I've never heard of breaking the console.

If the shop won't make it right. Next Saturday, I'd get a couple of buddies to stand with you on the sidewalk (city property) with signs and explain your situation to every customer that walks in. I bet it won't take long to get a response.

We did the same thing when a shop left my brother's Blazer unlocked overnight and the stereo was stollen. The shop gave us the "We're not responsible for vehicles left overnight" BS. After 2 hours they paid for the stereo and dash.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #19
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Jeeps are different, yes...however, they're not different enough to where it's necessary to break parts and pieces to make others fit. The problem here is that you've got a shop that caveman-ed the entire lift installation...square peg in a round hole, essentially...and they don't want to pay for it. Okay, fine, you take your business elsewhere, and make sure that everyone else does, too. They need you a lot more than you need them, buddy...make sure they realize it.

Now, on to your overheating. You're in a hot environment, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the temp 1/4 of the way up from just sitting in the sun. So don't worry on that count, at least.
Thanks man. I will definately be seeing them again real soon. I tried to call them again today, and attempted to resolve things in a timely manner, and their response was the same, it's either the lift kit's fault, or it's my fault (which really makes me mad). I am going to demand that they pay for a new console, and I guess I will have to figure out how to fix the overheating problem.

Here's a current pic after the lift install. At least it looks nice (IMHO)...

Unread 06-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I don't give a F*** if the instructions said to break the console. They NEVER should have done it without calling and asking first. If it were my shop, I'd want a signature allowing me to break it. There are literally hundreds of people on this site with the same setup as you. I've never heard of breaking the console.

If the shop won't make it right. Next Saturday, I'd get a couple of buddies to stand with you on the sidewalk (city property) with signs and explain your situation to every customer that walks in. I bet it won't take long to get a response.

We did the same thing when a shop left my brother's Blazer unlocked overnight and the stereo was stollen. The shop gave us the "We're not responsible for vehicles left overnight" BS. After 2 hours they paid for the stereo and dash.
I never heard of a problem with the console either. I can understand if they dropped the T-Case down a few inches, that it "might" throw off the angle of the transmission, but the T-Case drop that was installed is around 1" (if not less). There is no excuse for the shifter to come into contact with anything.

I still just can't believe what they did, and now my Jeep (which has been babied up to this point), has been screwed up. I really don't know what else could have been done, I checked everything that I possibly could and I don't have "before" pictures to reference back to.

One thing I noticed is that there are these "horns" that have been installed right about the front springs. Does anyone know what these are? I don't remember seeing them before. I'll try to get some pics uploaded tonight.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #21
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
Wow... for the shop that installed your lift. I think if I were you I would be going back over everything they did to see what else what "Beat" into place. Basically you need to double check it all. I'm still racking my brain to try to link a lift with over-heating. Maybe it is a coincidence.
I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not. If it is then I would have 2 coincidences...the console just "broke" which is "normal wear and tear" and the second being the overheating. I am really concerned that my "almost new" Jeep now is at risk of having a blon engine. I just don't understand how the Jeep would overheat out of nowhere.

I drove it today to work and back, being careful to keep an eye on the temp gauge and it seemed to be between 210 and the 3/4 hash. Before the lift it ran around 210. Also, the Jeep seems to take forever to cool down, and throws off a ton of heat. The A/C doesn't even work the same as it used to. My garage feels like a furnace.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
Man, sorry to hear about this. Just for my information, since I'm in your area, would you mind PM'ing me the name of that shop. Sounds like one I may want to avoid like that one thing.....oh yeah, THE PLAGUE!!
PM sent.
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretout View Post
One thing I noticed is that there are these "horns" that have been installed right about the front springs. Does anyone know what these are? I don't remember seeing them before. I'll try to get some pics uploaded tonight.
Did you have quick disconnects installed? Maybe pegs to fix them to when disconnected?
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
urstolendesire
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thats just ridiculous, its shops like that that give little shops a bad rep. theres no reason to do business like that.... but as far as overheating, triple check that the radiator fins on the fan side are still in a nice "S" shape. I had my radiator fins "smushed" up against themselves blocking airflow, your fan could have just nicked them. make sure the fan is engaging when it needs to.. If thats cool, you can start with the usual stuff. double check the belt make sure the water pump isn't spinning backwards. (maybe they took it off for something) while cool, pull the radiator cap at let it run until the thermostat opens up then rev it a few times making sure that coolant if blowing by the top of the radiator. that'd test your t-stat and water pump. none of which would deal with the lift...
urstolendesire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #25
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A 1" TC drop or 1" BL can affect your tranny shifter. Happened to me and many folks on here. You are changing the body/drivetrain/frame relationship.

But damaging the console is not the correct response. I would definitely keep the heat on them. You paid them to install a lift not mess with the interior of your Jeep. Even if they wanted to address the shifter issue (the right way), they should've called you first.

For the overheating: have you tested your coolant mix?
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #26
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Did you have quick disconnects installed? Maybe pegs to fix them to when disconnected?
Yeah, you nailed it. I called Rubicon Express and they confirmed that the pins are where the Quick Disconnects mount to when they are removed. The starnge thing is that my '97 doesn't have them. I gues one of the techs needed them more than I do.
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #27
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
A 1" TC drop or 1" BL can affect your tranny shifter. Happened to me and many folks on here. You are changing the body/drivetrain/frame relationship.

But damaging the console is not the correct response. I would definitely keep the heat on them. You paid them to install a lift not mess with the interior of your Jeep. Even if they wanted to address the shifter issue (the right way), they should've called you first.

For the overheating: have you tested your coolant mix?
I have been told that a Body Lift would alter the realtionship on the shift/tranny, but my Jeep doesn't have a BL on it.

I haven't checked the coolant mix yet, but I have been testing everyone advice on this thread. Today my "check gauges" light came on and the Temp gauge was all the way in the red. I stopped the engine for a few seconds and restarted it and the "check gauges" light turned off the needle read that the temp was around 230.
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #28
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So for today's update, I called Rubicon Express and told them about how the shop blamed the RE for manufacturing a bad lift kit, and they asked me what type of transmission I had. manual 6 speed. They also asked if the T-case lowering kit was intalled (3/4 inch belly pan drop). It is.

RE said that on the 6 speed Wranglers, you are not supposed to install the T-case lowering pucks because they shift the angle of the engine, transmission and T-case, and can cause the shifter to collide with the console (I am aware). They said that this particular shop called them and asked them if they should install the T-case lowering kit, and RE told them ABSOLUTELY NOT. Well, they installed the kit.

Now I am really concerned about the practices of the shop, and if they were this careless with my Jeep, what else has been done? I may have problems that are just waiting to happen. I have babied this Jeep and now, it's apparent that they don care for the customer's property. I told them to call me if there were ANY issues, and they didn't.

Now I'm mad. The shop knowingly ruined my Jeep, not just cosmetically, but now mechanically. I have no daily driver now, and the shop continues to blame RE, and says that it's not their fault. I don't know how to hold them accountable. Any ideas?
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #29
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urstolendesire View Post
thats just ridiculous, its shops like that that give little shops a bad rep. theres no reason to do business like that.... but as far as overheating, triple check that the radiator fins on the fan side are still in a nice "S" shape. I had my radiator fins "smushed" up against themselves blocking airflow, your fan could have just nicked them. make sure the fan is engaging when it needs to.. If thats cool, you can start with the usual stuff. double check the belt make sure the water pump isn't spinning backwards. (maybe they took it off for something) while cool, pull the radiator cap at let it run until the thermostat opens up then rev it a few times making sure that coolant if blowing by the top of the radiator. that'd test your t-stat and water pump. none of which would deal with the lift...
I'll try the T-stat trick tonight...
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #30
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow......get RE to send a notarized letter to you that this particular shop called and asked about the t-case drop and that they were told to NOT install it. That should show that they were at fault for the console. If they know that the shop called, I'll bet they got the name of the caller too.
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , check engine , error , code , tj , wrangler , rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.