Lift Control Arms: Ball joint vs Heim Joint types? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Control Arms: Ball joint vs Heim Joint types?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lift Control Arms: Ball joint vs Heim Joint types?

I'm currently looking at lift kits for my TJ Rubicon Unlimited, i.e. - LJ.

I'm looking at kits that are from 2" to 3" in height and use a new coil spring to get that lift.

Some brands use heim joints (aka Johnny joints?). Others use ball joints.

I have heard that both heim joints and ball joints work well for articulation. I've also heard that heim joints are not reliable for every day driver use. I've also heard that heim joints are fine for reliability.

What is the deal here? Can anyone tell me? I'd appreciate advice.

CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
roadrunner2348
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is the general gist of what I have read on this forum. I have never used a heim joint before so I am not speaking from experience so if someone wants to butt in and correct something please do, I'm just restating what I have seen.
Heims:
They don't isolate anything from the road
They don't hold up well because they have nothing covering the joint, Dirt gets in and wears them out and they get loose and develop play. Once that happens you can toss it and buy new ones.

Flex Joints provide similar freedom of movement but the joint is built with bushing built around the ball to isolate the road from the chassis. And once the bushings wear out they are rebuildable so all you do is replace bushings and your good to go, with a lot less money out of you pocket.

I have RE superflex arms on my jeep (RE 4.5 Superflex kit) but I have less than 3000K on them so I can't attest to how long they last. I can say that my jeep has a retarted amount of flex. I have a RE 4.5 short arm superflex kit and 33's. Using a forklift I was able to lift my front left 32" off the ground before another tire was off the ground. I highly doubt my jeep will ever be flexed that far offroad but I'm sure as hell gonna try.

Justin
Unread 04-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3
Some brands use heim joints (aka Johnny joints?)
Johnny joints are not heim joints... Check out curries video:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...nnyjoints.aspx

RE also makes ones very similar but uses threaded ends.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So in various brands of control arms there's Johnny Joints, Heim Joints, Ball Joints, and Flex Joints? Which is better and why?
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
pendleton
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3
So in various brands of control arms there's Johnny Joints, Heim Joints, Ball Joints, and Flex Joints? Which is better and why?
I am not familiar with the ball joint style. Do you have an example of them? I have heard of all of the rest.
pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
roadrunner2348
2002 TJ Wrangler 

For a DD Rubicon express superflex or Currie Johnney Joints are your best bet.
RE Superflex Joint

Currie Johnney Joint

They are the ones that I refer to as "Flex Joints" in my first post. As you can tell from the pictures the designs are virtually the same. I can't tell you if either is better but I haven't heard anything negative about either.

My best guess as to what you are refering to as ball joints it what nTh degree uses on their long arm. They call it the gyrojoint.
http://nthdegreemobility.com/catalog...237_eprint.pdf
(picture #7)
Its essentially a threaded ball similar to a hitch sandwiched between two bushings. Provides isolation from the road and has a huge range of motion. Difference is these are used on the frame end unlike most of the other products. The Nth kit has a crazy amount of flex (just read the linked article) but apparently has a better ride than stock. Guess it helps when the designer worked for DC when they were working on the TJ.

Justin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.