Lift Advice- can't sort through it all - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Advice- can't sort through it all

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavision View Post
All the reviews I've found say the Zone rides really nice. Do you not agree with that?
I personally don't know how it rides. My point is that you get what you pay for. Cheap lift = cheap ride, saggy springs etc. There's a reason some cost more than others.
As you said though it's a high mileage beast so maybe you're right about not putting much into it. I've heard mostly good things about Zone. I do know as a TJ owner that the shocks make the ride.
I guess I'm a little disturbed at Wyoming TJ for his comments.
Jim

Unread 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just to clear the air of some of the previous posts....

Savvy, Curry, OME are the upper end of lifts. Many swear by it, and if price not an consideration, I would have bought a Curry Long arm for my TJ.

You will also get many that unless you spend big $$$ on one of the top tier systems then you are "doing it wrong!" and buying crap.

Zone, rough country and some of the "budget" systems offer the lift you want with a price that is more down to earth...so to speak!

Don't get me wrong...there are the low, low tier kits that have aweful reviews and are really not worth their money.

So you get both sides of the fence...the upper tier saying you are buying crap that will break, and the lower tier saying that it's a waste of money and the budget kits offer the same options.

Don't get bogged down with all of the hype and arguing with what is the best company, etc.

Decide what "your" needs are and your budget...then go from there. There are many systems out there that will get you the performance/looks you are looking for in your price range.

As for myself, even though I could have bought the Curry (with a little saving ) I opted for a smaller budget system to see if:
1. I really enjoyed wheeling enough to spend serious money into it.
2. If there are even enough places around to wheel.
3. If I do break it, it means I was doing it right! lol

While I did spend a little more than you did, for a few extra more offroad mods, you can easily do what you are looking for to drive the street and the light offroading you are looking for.

My next question would be...what size tires are you looking to run? That in itself will lead to what size lift you should be looking at.

As far as tires....I fit a 33x12.50R15 on my stock 2001 TJ for a month before I got my lift.

As a previous poster said, depending on what is creating your rough ride, new springs and shocks may not correct it, so be ready for that.

Finally, for my rig I bought a 4" Zone lift. It came with what I needed except for rear upper adjustable control arms and extended brake lines (which I could have gotten away with for a while if I didn't release my sway bar, but what fun would that be? ) With the 4" lift, it opened a can of worms as far as driveline that should not be an issue if you stay under 3", but the MML with a body lift for me is almost a no brainer.

I also put on a 1.25 BL...so total of 5.25" and I am only running 33's! But without the sway bar attached I can bury them in the fenders with it flexing.

Here is a little Zone kit....
http://www.rockridge4wd.com/product-...-fslash-j3.htm

And if I may, call Jeff at www.rockridge4wd.com, I have called him on many parts and he has not yet failed me in beating anyone's price around, even his own listed internet price! He's a good guy with great prices.

Good luck! and we want before and after pics!

If in doubt...HIT THE GAS!! It may not always be the right decision, but it will end the suspense!

The build so far....[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-predator-1342553/[/url]
PredatorNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
sdptrey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 4" zone and I am pretty happy with it. Its a good lift for the money. Yes there are better ones but if you are on somewhat of a budget. Zone is the way to go. The way i think. My jeep is a work in progress always adding something or taking away.
PB blaster is your friend
sdptrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
I guess I'm a little disturbed at Wyoming TJ for his comments.
I guess I'm a little disturbed that you would think an $1100 lift is what to advise someone looking to spend $600 to fix a specific issue as well as lift.

I deal with people who have a ""you get what you pay for"" attitude all the time, and I do love them, I'm glad I can count on you guys paying $13k for a tool box that costs $550 to make :-D

I know as a Jeep owner I want it to ride like a Jeep, thats why I dont own an FJ cruiser. As far as cheap lift = cheap ride, you should shop at Rusty's, he is nice and expensive, you should get tons of high quality stuff there.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
I guess I'm a little disturbed that you would think an $1100 lift is what to advise someone looking to spend $600 to fix a specific issue as well as lift.

I deal with people who have a ""you get what you pay for"" attitude all the time, and I do love them, I'm glad I can count on you guys paying $13k for a tool box that costs $550 to make :-D

I know as a Jeep owner I want it to ride like a Jeep, thats why I dont own an FJ cruiser. As far as cheap lift = cheap ride, you should shop at Rusty's, he is nice and expensive, you should get tons of high quality stuff there.
For the most part you do get what you pay for. Where do you see come up with $1100 ? The OME lifts on the DPG site start out at $425 with the price going on up.
Get off your high horse. The guys thinking $600 - for $200 more he can get a much better lift.
I'm assuming from the way you talk you're one of those guys that sells tools for way way too much. I don't own none of them.
Jim
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
dirtrider66
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a TeraFlex kit, I can't compare it to stock because I bought my jeep the kit on it, but I really like it. From what I've heard, TeraFlex has one of the best highway handling and is still great offroad. They sell a basic 3" lift that uses stock control arms for just under $600. Definitely stay away from brands like rough country, with ride quality rc isn't good, they do have rough in their name.

If you do end up doing a lift that keeps stock control arms look into some adjustable rear upper control arms to set your pinion angle right if you keep your stock driveshaft.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the link you posted was cool, when you find the lift that has what he said he needed, springs, shocks (specificaly said not a budget boost), that would be the OME Deluxe TJ/LJ lift, thats the cheapest with what he needs, and its $1049. almost twice his price range, thats a fair bit more than ""$200 more"", and whether its a ""much better lift"" is still just an opinion, thats the part you seem to loose sight of more.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
vavision
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I upgraded to adjustable control arms two years ago when the bushings failed. Steering stabilizer and track bar were upgraded at the same time. My mechanic got a great price and said it would be handy further down the road if I ever decided to go with a lift. The whole, don't do the same thing twice mantra.
vavision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorNC
Many swear by it, and if price not an consideration, I would have bought a Curry Long arm for my TJ.
opcorn:
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac

opcorn:

Do you buy it at the unicorn ranch?
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #26
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider66
I have a TeraFlex kit, I can't compare it to stock because I bought my jeep the kit on it, but I really like it. From what I've heard, TeraFlex has one of the best highway handling and is still great offroad. They sell a basic 3" lift that uses stock control arms for just under $600. Definitely stay away from brands like rough country, with ride quality rc isn't good, they do have rough in their name.

If you do end up doing a lift that keeps stock control arms look into some adjustable rear upper control arms to set your pinion angle right if you keep your stock driveshaft.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
My jeep mods started with the Teraflex 3" kit. I have nothing negative to say about it, always liked it. The springs are kind of soft, but never sagged and I sold them off a few years ago, for all I know they are still going strong. Back in 2003 I picked up the kit with four Rancho 9000X shocks for a little less than $600, looks like prices have gone up since then. The other kit I was considering was the OME kit, but was happy with the Teraflex kit, but before I knew it I added good control arms, track bars and some other things like plenty of others who started with an entry level kit. I've heard no real complaints on the zone, but that is just from posts I've read on here. Choose your shocks wisely.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #27
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my jeep with 4 inches of lift on it. The previous owner had put rusty's springs with procomp shocks on the Jeep. I'm not even really sure if the whole lift is Rusty's or not. Everywhere I read on here said that rusty's stuff is junk, but mine seems to ride pretty decent considering that it has rusty's stuff on it. Well for all I know, it may ride awful for a TJ considering my last Jeep was 78 CJ7 (it really rode bad). I had orinially planned to buy a stock jeep, and put the zone 4.25" lift on it. It was reasonably priced and seemed like a good lift from the reviews I read. I am in the same boat as you. My 4 cylinder has 130k on it and if I were to re do the lift I would not be buying one of the $1k and up lifts to put on a jeep that is only worth $4k to $5k.

I'm all for the "you get what your pay for", but IMHO the savvy and currie systems seem to be way over priced (I'm not doubting they are the best, but my opinion is they are overpriced). Hell I can put an 8 inch lift on my pick up truck that comes with new upper and lower a arms, struts, shocks, front diff drop, leaf springs for the rear, etc. for about a grand.
MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #28
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have 98 TJ and got the Zone 3" and do not think it was a bad choice. HOWEVER, I am about to spend $1800 replacing all my control arms (990), rear adjustable trackbar (~300), SYE and new rear driveshaft(~500). There is some minor vibes that have crept up on take off and have always had some around 40-50. Also my existing control arm bushings are getting there and I figure rather than just replacing with new existing I may as well do it right. I am planning on doing a Tummy tuck in a year so that in itself needs the rest. The way I look at if a tummy tuck or possibly going to a higher lift than 3" is where you may have the slightest inkling that you may go, you are better off saving up for a non-budget lift that has asjustable Control Arms from the beginning. I probably would have saved a couple hundred if I had done this in the first place. I am not replacing any of my suspension, just augmenting it.

Also the 4" rule is not set in stone. I have heard of people getting severe vibes less than that. Mine have been tolerable for the last year but I am taking the opportunity as I have decided what to do with mine.

Tags
2.5l , 3" , lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.