Lift Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Advice

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail *VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lift Advice

Ok so ive been working all summer and it looks like i finally have the money to lift my jeep. I plan on buying the zone 4.25" combo lift with nitro shocks, zone steering stablizer, 33x12.5x15" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ radials on 15" Sidebiters. Anyone have any suggestions as to how i should approach the install? im a beginner and i would like to know as much as possible before starting this project. THANKS!

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 95,000 miles, Jensen VM9214, Sony Xplode 12", Kenwood 350w amp, KC Hilites 130w Long Range lights, Warn VR8000 Winch.. Build List: 3" BDS Suspension Lift with Fox 2.0 shocks, Pro Comp Rock Crawler 152 Rims, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's, LOD Rear Bumper, Metalcloaks front and rear, tom wood's SYE and CV driveshaft
packersxxxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersxxxi
Ok so ive been working all summer and it looks like i finally have the money to lift my jeep. I plan on buying the zone 4.25" combo lift with nitro shocks, zone steering stablizer, 33x12.5x15" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ radials on 15" Sidebiters. Anyone have any suggestions as to how i should approach the install? im a beginner and i would like to know as much as possible before starting this project. THANKS!
Also look into a sye kit and cv shaft, with upper rear adjustable control arms, unless you plan to drop the TC skid plate, defeating the purpose of your lift.
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The lift and bl are both pretty straight forward just take your time with the install. Also a strut spring compressor could make things a little easier. Spray all your bolts down with pb blaster a few days before and up to the install. Good luck!
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just search the board and look at what others have had to do. Most any similar lift install will be the same; look out for common problems like the rear upper shock mount bolts breaking.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is the kit I am having installed in a few weeks. It should not need syi or transfer case drop. The kit is 3" lift springs, 1.25" bl and a 1" motor mount lift to keep the rear shaft from having too much angle. I bought this kit just so I wouldnt " I hope" need a syi or tc drop, that will save me much cash I dont have.. I will post a review of the kit after its installed and tested. I plan on running 33s.
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachi44089
This is the kit I am having installed in a few weeks. It should not need syi or transfer case drop. The kit is 3" lift springs, 1.25" bl and a 1" motor mount lift to keep the rear shaft from having too much angle. I bought this kit just so I wouldnt " I hope" need a syi or tc drop, that will save me much cash I dont have.. I will post a review of the kit after its installed and tested. I plan on running 33s.
You're setting yourself up for issues before you begin. MOST LIKELY the mml is NOT going to be able to correct your driveline angles. You're gambling & the odds are in the house's favor.

Good luck.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You may be right.. Thats why I used the words "should" and "I hope".. The way I figure it I was already using a 2.5" bb lift on stock springs and had no issues. This kit will install 3" inch lift springs. 1 inch higher than I was running before with stock springs and a 2.5" bb. Then with 1" motor mount lift it will drop the output shaft a little. Should be pretty close to what I was running in the first place. Thats what this lift system is supposed to do. If I have issues, no big deal. I will get the needed sye and cv shaft or whatever is needed. I will probabby end up with all that anyways because of my addiction..
But I will post back my results on this thread when I get the kit installed on the 24th of this month. Until then I am going to see if anyone has this kit installed and if they had any issues.
This is the kit, you can read it yourself. If it doesnt work as advertised, I blame Zone.. I am no Jeep pro, so its hard to sift out the BS from the facts when you start reading what venders claim about their products. This is double true for beginners like me on a limited budget..
http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=451&gr=-1
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

RubiconRazorbac pretty much hit the nail on the head; it's a toss up whether you'll need the SYE or not. They advertise that you won't, but there are plenty of people who have had to drop the t-case just to get things drivable until they could afford the SYE and all that comes will it. I know there are a bunch of people over on WranglerForum who have tried to get away without one but ended up needing one.

Good luck, maybe you'll be one of the few who wont.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.