Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
krashwoods
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lift?

1999 Sahra Stock Rubicon wheels with 245/75-16.The Jeep is a daly driver and mild weekend wheeler.

I am looking at 2"-3" lift and have narrowed it down to either the Rough Country 2.5" X-Series Kit or Rusty's Off Road 3" Advanced kit. Opinions?

krashwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with either of those kits, but from what I've heard you picked two of the worst brands. I just picked up the Zone Offroad 4.25" kit (3" SL 1.25" BL).

Look at the reviews of kits on this page: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f239/
Unread 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
afguy1980
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashwoods
1999 Sahra Stock Rubicon wheels with 245/75-16.The Jeep is a daly driver and mild weekend wheeler.

I am looking at 2"-3" lift and have narrowed it down to either the Rough Country 2.5" X-Series Kit or Rusty's Off Road 3" Advanced kit. Opinions?
Dude whatever you decide stay away from rusty's. The people over there are complete assho3ls. Their customer service sucks and their shipping rates are even worse. I have done business with rusty twice and both times got into screaming matches with him on the phone. The guy is a complete idiot and there products are not that great this is why they are a bit cheaper than other company's. The heartache isn't worth the money you will save. Trust me on this one
afguy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
krashwoods
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well thank you. Rusty's is out! I'll be looking into the BDS Kit.
krashwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The RC 2.5" springs can support 12 travel shocks. They have the same unsprung height as other 4" springs.
Unread 10-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
0llll0
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 4" rough country suspension lift w/ disco's and I'm not real pleased with it. It is a decent lift for the price but I have had issues with mine. (Might be a fluke, but I just want to tell you about my experiences). When I installed mine the front lower track bar wouldn't line up. The instructions showed a bracket to adjust to it. When I called them they told me to drill a new hole, which worked, but don't show a part that wasn't with the kit. The other problem I have had is two of the adjustable control arms have stripped their threads. (This is about 2 years later). When I called them with this problem they tried to sell me new control arms to replace their other ones. (Why would I buy them again!?) So instead I just welded them together. I want to upgrade mine asap. Sorry krashwoods not trying to rain on your parade, but spend some more money and get something a little nicer.
Unread 10-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
ReelLegend01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar
NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with either of those kits, but from what I've heard you picked two of the worst brands. I just picked up the Zone Offroad 4.25" kit (3" SL 1.25" BL).

Look at the reviews of kits on this page: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f239/
How do u like the zone combo? Thinkin bout ordering it...is it overkill for 33s??????
ReelLegend01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelLegend01

How do u like the zone combo? Thinkin bout ordering it...is it overkill for 33s??????
The zone combo kit would work nice with 33s and it is a good kit to build on. Meaning you can run the kit as is and add control arms and other things you wish later on. Zone products are made by bds the big difference between the two is that bds offers a warranty on theirs.
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, definitely do more research. Earlier I mentioned the RC 2.5" springs. There is a reason I only mentioned those specific springs. That reason is that they are probably the best for the money. They are dual rate, which means the upper coils will soak up the little bumps in the road while the lower coils won't compress until you hit a bigger bump. Plus most of the travel in these springs is down travel.

I would recommend Currie and Savvy, but these springs aren't as tall.
Unread 10-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven
Yes, definitely do more research. Earlier I mentioned the RC 2.5" springs. There is a reason I only mentioned those specific springs. That reason is that they are probably the best for the money. They are dual rate, which means the upper coils will soak up the little bumps in the road while the lower coils won't compress until you hit a bigger bump. Plus most of the travel in these springs is down travel.

I would recommend Currie and Savvy, but these springs aren't as tall.
Currie springs are plenty tall and surpass the needs of most anyone I know. Ome, Currie, bds. Those would be the springs on my short list.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelLegend01 View Post
I still sitting in my closet, won't be able to put it on until Christmas break. I don't have the tools or space to put it on at my dorm. But I got the kit for $440 with hydro shocks.
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
ReelLegend01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar

I still sitting in my closet, won't be able to put it on until Christmas break. I don't have the tools or space to put it on at my dorm. But I got the kit for $440 with hydro shocks.
Thats cool..where did u get it for 440 at thats a few hundred cheaper then i have seen it for! You planing to run 33s...iam gonna get the upgraded shocks n discos n might even order their adjustable trackbar n steering stabilizer...
ReelLegend01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I'll be runnin 33s when I can afford em, currently have 31s. I went with standard shocks and just purchased JKS front adjustable trac bar and quicker disconnects. Buyin all 8 Savvy double adjustable arms in a bit. I already had a steering stabilizer, but would've gone with the black one from Zone if I didn't.
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the money most would agree that the best budget friendly lift "kit" would be the Zone 3" or Zone 4.25" combo. For the money and quality of parts it seems like it can be beat. Plus adding control arms, adj trackbars, etc is easy.

If you are looking for a kit comprised of the same components for a couple hundred dollars more the BDS and OME kits are up that alley.

Now if you want to do upgrades to most if not all your suspension the Currie kits with a 3" from Savvy or direct from Currie are where most people will direct you. Another option may be the Metalcloak 3.5" lifts. Granted either these will run you no less than about 2k the components that you get are top of the line and proven to perform well on an offroad. *with the exception of the metalcloak duroflex arms which are still relatively new.*
drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Zone combo is pretty nice. I did mine in two weekends, one for the body and one for the suspension. Could do it easily in one, I just took my time. It works pretty good with 33s. Here's mine with 305/70 r16 mud grapplers.

forumrunner_20121029_134259.jpg
Here's the nitro shocks vs stock
forumrunner_20121029_134223.jpg   forumrunner_20121029_134243.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.